Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The closer we get,...

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#31    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:34 AM

View PostHazzard, on 20 December 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

Are you saying that there is no way to explore space other than to send people!?
Yep, there are so many things a machine can do but a machine doesn't have gut feelings ;)

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#32    Ricardo Flair

Ricardo Flair

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

• "Whether you like it or not, learn to love it, because its the best thing going. Wooooo!"

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

What about all that crazy nerd **** at CERN? What if they hit the "reset button" and all life started over and it plays out exatcly the same? Wouldn't it be cool if you were the only one with knowledge that life is just like a really long version of Grounds Hog Day?

#33    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,735 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:49 AM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 19 December 2012 - 02:32 AM, said:

I got engaged tonight. It's been a long time coming and everybody thought the end of the world would come before I'd ask her. Wether that'll happen on Friday or not, everybody was wrong.
that's kinda cool
congratulations

Posted Image.. but as for this house of cards you are building..  a butterfly fart would knock it down.

#34    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:00 AM

View PostRicardo Flair, on 21 December 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

What about all that crazy nerd **** at CERN? What if they hit the "reset button" and all life started over and it plays out exatcly the same? Wouldn't it be cool if you were the only one with knowledge that life is just like a really long version of Grounds Hog Day?
Welcome to UM and stop thinking like that, I live 300 miles from CERN :P

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#35    Ricardo Flair

Ricardo Flair

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

• "Whether you like it or not, learn to love it, because its the best thing going. Wooooo!"

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

Paracelse, thanks! Nice to know that at the brink of the end, there are still cool people

#36    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

So, here we are - This is the day we have been hearing about for decades. Friday the 21st 2012,...

I sincerely hope that at least one (out of the thousands) of the doomsday slingers take paus, make a note to self, not to promote this kind of nonsense in the future.

Edited by Hazzard, 21 December 2012 - 12:39 PM.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#37    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,972 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

View PostHazzard, on 21 December 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

So, here we are - This is the day we have been hearing about for decades. Friday the 21st 2012,...

I sincerely hope that at least one (out of the thousands) of the doomsday slingers take paus, make a note to self, not to promote this kind of nonsense in the future.

with 3 hours and 5 minutes to go, you should wait till 11:12 am before you make such a bold statement.

Posted Image

#38    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,262 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

View PostParacelse, on 20 December 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

Simple NASA doesn-t have means to send men in space and has to outsource... Like every business in the US... and EU
it may be OT to this topic, but manned craft aren't really the most practical for long-distance Space exploration, are they? Anyway, you'd need to look at the U.S. Govt. to blame for that, it's hardly NASA's fault.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#39    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,262 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 21 December 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

with 3 hours and 5 minutes to go, you should wait till 11:12 am before you make such a bold statement.
No, the Solstice was 11:12 GMT, i.e. that was the time in the UK.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#40    thewild

thewild

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

• Y HELLO THAR

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

View PostRicardo Flair, on 21 December 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

I love that movie. LOL crazy nerd ****!! you funny man

Posted Image

#41    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,061 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostHazzard, on 21 December 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

I sincerely hope that at least one (out of the thousands) of the doomsday slingers take pause, make a note to self, not to promote this kind of nonsense in the future.

They have done so for many centuries, and they will continue to do so for many centuries.

All we can hope for is that people like us will be present in the future to confront them and their superstitious drivel.

Edited by Abramelin, 21 December 2012 - 03:35 PM.

#42    Ricardo Flair

Ricardo Flair

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

I fell asleep.... did I miss it?

#43    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,972 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

View Post747400, on 21 December 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

No, the Solstice was 11:12 GMT, i.e. that was the time in the UK.
Ok but I'm pretty sure the official history channel time for doomsday was 11:11am.

View PostRicardo Flair, on 21 December 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

I fell asleep.... did I miss it?
Yea, it was pretty badass too. I saw all these people get raptured, cars were wrecking, planes fell from the sky. I though have been Left Below.

Posted Image

#44    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

View PostParacelse, on 21 December 2012 - 06:34 AM, said:

Yep, there are so many things a machine can do but a machine doesn't have gut feelings ;)

Most astronomers will tell you that virtually anything a human can do on another planet, a robot can do, only cheaper and without the risk of losing a life.

To say that sending humans is the "only" way to explore space is plain out ignorant. Robots have done all the recent planetary exploration in the solar system. In past decades, rovers, landers, and orbiters have visited the moon, asteroids and comets, every planet in the solar system and many of their moons as well. From the Venera probe on Venus back in the 70ties, to the recent landing on Mars by the Curiosity rover.

If you had said that sending humans would be cooler and more exciting,... now that I can agree with,

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#45    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,735 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

View PostDBunker, on 20 December 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

NASA should stick to what they are good at, exploring space...... Not bother with the silly stuff.
i agree!

Posted Image.. but as for this house of cards you are building..  a butterfly fart would knock it down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users