Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

IQ tests 'do not reflect intelligence'

iq tests

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16    Winterwind

Winterwind

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

That IQ tests are flawed should be common knowledge, especially as they're geared towards the western educational system. A gauge at best.

Issue 19 of the Winterwind Papers now online
- http://www.winterwind-productions.com
- Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love

#17    daavin

daavin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

• nothing witty, nothing profound... just me.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

View Postthe L, on 23 December 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

I wonder how people in Mensa feel like about this one?

They probably have mixed feelings about this L, as Mensa is the kindergarden of the genius world.  I bet the Tesla999 club who exclude all but the top 99.9% from joining don't like it one bit.

Edited by daavin, 23 December 2012 - 07:54 PM.

I spy with my little eye something that starts with come here and ends with OUCH
                                                   Black Adder

#18    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

View Postdaavin, on 23 December 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

They probably have mixed feelings about this L, as Mensa is the kindergarden of the genius world.  I bet the Tesla999 club who exclude all but the top 99.9% from joining don't like it one bit.

Guessing that should be the top 0.1%. Excluding all but 99.9% of the population isn't too exclusive :P

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#19    marcos anthony toledo

marcos anthony toledo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

IQ tests have always been racist bumkum to inflate the egos of the conquerors.

#20    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

All professionally designed tests, including IQ, are designed and validated for measurement with a defined population. The problem that arises is when a test is used for measurement outside of its intended population or validated use. The so-called IQ tests are typically validated as a measure of educational achievement and not overall intelligence. It's really too bad that good tests get a bad rap when they are used by incompetent people for uses other than for the intended design.

#21    daavin

daavin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

• nothing witty, nothing profound... just me.

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:41 AM

View PostSetton, on 23 December 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

Guessing that should be the top 0.1%. Excluding all but 99.9% of the population isn't too exclusive :P

Lol, ya, that goes to prove I'm not in the club.

I spy with my little eye something that starts with come here and ends with OUCH
                                                   Black Adder

#22    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:07 AM

View PostCoffey, on 23 December 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

Always said this, "scientists" come out with such stupid and useless rubbish sometimes.

:tsu: :nw: :clap:

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#23    C235

C235

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

Being mensa myself I have always said it many times IQ test idea is ridiculous Cause I have seen many geniuses which IQ test had done them no justice.

#24    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:56 AM

View PostC235, on 24 December 2012 - 05:21 AM, said:

Being mensa myself I have always said it many times IQ test idea is ridiculous Cause I have seen many geniuses which IQ test had done them no justice.

Well it all depends on what one considers to be "Genius."  There are in my opinion, many types of genius out there, most of which I'm sure aren't given proper justice. If one type of genius comes up with a test to determine geniusness, then it would only make sense that such a test would only test for that type of geniusness and abandon all others. And that's only if such tests were in fact developed by a genius. Who's to say it wasn't developed by a fool?

I think people should just let their geniusness show through their works, as opposed to their test scores. As we all know, Einstein flunked school but excelled in the outside world and the scientific community. He was labeled a fool in the beginning but proved himself otherwise afterwards.

IQ tests are in my opinion yet another way for two nerds to compete in their competetive little brain sports so they can further foster their already fully inflated egos. I'm glad they're finally debunked.

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#25    brainiac

brainiac

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:58 AM

For me the old system can measure the standard IQ to rate a certain individual but, what if a special individual is not comfortable with the kind of system, now how to measure his true strength? So like in college course there should be a specific test chosen by the individual relating to his desire and preferences if it is in Arts, Math and sciences, or combination of both etc..

Edited by brainiac, 24 December 2012 - 06:00 AM.

#26    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

View Postdaavin, on 23 December 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

View PostSetton, on 23 December 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

Was Setton right? :lol:

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#27    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

• "I go when I want to go. To prolong life would be tasteless"
    Albert Einstein

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

I had a feeling it was flawed! i got 127 on my IQ test. Somehow i feel it should of been 90

#28    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

View PostJGirl, on 20 December 2012 - 04:27 AM, said:

i notice they don't mention 'emotional intelligence', 'musical intelligence', or 'artistic intelligence' in their criteria of what tests are required to gauge intelligence.
the idea that these things were to be taken into account when gauging intelligence was argued in another thread here a while back.
i never bought into it.
emotional maturity yes, musical talent, yes, artistic ability, yes.
none of which is a measure of intellect

Well emotional intelligence would be handy in management or in customer services so I agree with that part.

But IQ tests are fairly accurate and they would become more accurate if someone was subjected to four different tests and an average score taken. I've never met someone with a degree who had a low IQ level. They cant get their heads around whats being taught.

I think diet plays a large role in IQ level with those people who have poor nutrition levels and a lack of fatty acids being at a huge disadvantage. Thats why they give you a carton of whole milk at primary school everyday.

#29    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

On the subject does anyone know where there is a PROPER free IQ test online?

I've came across loads but never sure on how legit they actually are.

I did one years ago for a company and I remember scoring above average but can't remember how much.

View PostC235, on 24 December 2012 - 05:21 AM, said:

I think historians believe that Einstein probably had a low IQ? (I know he was never tested as the tests are more recent)

Edited by Coffey, 24 December 2012 - 02:26 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#30    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,936 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 24 December 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

Well emotional intelligence would be handy in management or in customer services so I agree with that part.

But IQ tests are fairly accurate and they would become more accurate if someone was subjected to four different tests and an average score taken. I've never met someone with a degree who had a low IQ level. They cant get their heads around whats being taught.

I think diet plays a large role in IQ level with those people who have poor nutrition levels and a lack of fatty acids being at a huge disadvantage. Thats why they give you a carton of whole milk at primary school everyday.
you are calling this intelligence and it just isn't. emotions are not intellect. i would argue they are the opposite of intellect.
i do agree that proper diet is important to utilize intelligence but i don't think it hinges on it. i think you can be brilliant and underfed, but your performance would be hindered by the lack of fuel fed to the brain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users