Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Human cloning 'within 50 years'

human cloning sir john gurdon

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,348 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

Parents who lose children in accidents may be able to clone "copies" to replace them within 50 years, a British scientist who won this year's Nobel prize for medicine has predicted.

Sir John Gurdon, whose work cloning frogs in the 1950s and 60s led to the later creation of Dolly the sheep by Edinburgh scientists in 1996, said that progression to human cloning could happen within half a century.

Although any attempt to clone an entire human would raise a host of complex ethical issues, the biologist claimed people would soon overcome their concerns if the technique became medically useful.

http://www.telegraph...n-50-years.html

Posted Image

#2    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

whats the need for human cloning? its every ones right to be an individual :)

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#3    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,273 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

Fascinating.
I would be more inclined to think that the 50 years is when they will bring it out into the open. They have been experimenting with this.... well... even before Burke and Hare were giving the Frankenstein`s of the world the bodies to experiment on.

For medical purposes, this is great, anything other than that is going completely against nature.

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,987 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

I hope they don't start cloning people unless there is a real need for it like mass sterility.  We have enough of a population problem.

#5    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 7,762 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

Good. I need a stand in at work.
Clone away.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#6    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

Sure, so we may be able to do it. The question scientists constantly cease to ask is should we?

People don't think about how much this devalue's human life. I can hear it now. "So what if you're kid's dead, we can just make a new one!" This concept would not only increase prejudice and hatred toward the cloned, but the very concept of murder would no longer be as serious. And this isn't even close to the kind of chaos it would bring to those who believe in the human soul.

Science without morality is wreckless and at times downright evil.

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#7    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,508 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:40 AM

You could never clone the memories of the one being cloned. It would be a different person. However yes is doing it something we should do, don`t think so. However in 50 yrs I wont give a damn.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#8    Collateral Damage

Collateral Damage

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

• "Those who stand for nothing fall for anything."

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

I think it is something we should do, compared to many of the things we shouldn't do, yet seem to anyhow. Cloning may have its negatives, but personally I believe it to have far more positives.

Undated letter by President J.F.K. said:

"War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today."

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten."

#9    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,094 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

One of the main fields where cloning is being tested for these days is fertility.

For example, the case where the man and women are infertile but would have the possibility of cloning themselves. The individual born will most likely be completely different.
But of course ethical questions then arise of what would happen if the child grows up and one of the parents feels attracted to him/her. Because they are of course a close replica of the spouse but in more youthful form.
Although it is not guaranteed a clone would actually look the same.

I also believe that parents who have lost a child don't fully comprehend that cloning that child doesn't mean they will get the same child back, the personality could be completely different and could even look differently.
But in cases where the parents are too old to procreate again it may be the only option...of course, is this then a valid option to start over at an older age?

These are ethical dilemma's that are thoroughly being researched.

#10    Collateral Damage

Collateral Damage

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 260 posts

• "Those who stand for nothing fall for anything."

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

*double post

Edited by xTc i_i, 20 December 2012 - 09:09 AM.

Undated letter by President J.F.K. said:

"War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today."

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten."

#11    Hartmut

Hartmut

-

• PipPip
  • 272 posts

• Without artists, the worlds would be - like a world without flowers and butterflies.

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

I think they could clone a human being right know. With what longevity result is however still questionable.
Besides that,  is cloning humans  even  desirable?

From our less than honorable history of despising and often killing everything that is 'different' from the norm,
a new  race of clones, androids, intelligent robots, would face the same difficulties and hatred as all the other 'different'

ones have, and are still suffering.

I would say, unless we learn how to respect those who are 'different', we should not clone humans.

#12    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• 6,778 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Cloning a full human for the purpose of emotional replacement is a bad idea in my opinion. Mainly for the reason thongy laid out. However, cloning for the purpose of transplants, blood donations and the like, could be incredibly beneficial to mankind.

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 20 December 2012 - 12:27 PM.

#13    A rather obscure Bassoon

A rather obscure Bassoon

Psychic Spy

• 1,868 posts

• "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage."

Mark Russel

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

They are probably doing it already behind closed doors,Man has  become the first species on Earth that can directly change his  Evolution..

#14    Ashyne

Ashyne

Atheist & Skeptic

• 1,813 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

50 years ago they said we would have a colony on Mars by now. They also said flying cars would be commonplace.

#15    OldN8Dogg

OldN8Dogg

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 22 posts

• Don't worry, be happy.

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

In my opinion, there are only two areas where cloning is a good thing, and then only with disclaimers:

1)  Human body part harvest for transplant purposes, with the disclaimer that the scientist must demonstrate that at no point in the clone's life cycle was it ever "aware" or possessing any brain activity at all.  Simply the parts, none of the "soul".

2)  Human life extension, with the disclaimer including the above, as well as the fact that the technology required to transfer one's consciousness when they get old is perfected at the same time.

I think the "lost loved one" example is poor, because it would mean that they would not be able to transfer that "person" into the clone.  Their child would look the same, but be a different person, and would never be treated as such.  In the end, I think the parent, or non-clone loved one would be terribly disappointed, and the clone would feel lost and unloved.  Dead is dead, unless you can plan for it, like in my scenario #2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users