Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

EU plans tougher tobacco health warnings

tobacco health warnings eu

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,630 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

Cigarette packs sold in the EU will have to have bigger health warnings in text and pictures, under new proposals from the EU Commission.

The draft directive would require 75% of the packet to be covered - front and back - with the warnings. But company branding would not be banned.

It would also ban strong flavours such as menthol or vanilla, which can mask the bitter tobacco taste.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-20783263

Posted Image

#2    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

So I'm going to be treated to more gruesome pictures of gangrene and open-heart surgery.
And now it looks like I have to strengthen my stomach with a triple dose.
A tobacconist will be now more like a clinic it wasn't for the fact that they don't leave the product on open display.
I'm not entirely thrilled by the prospect of R-rated graphics on my cigarette packet.
But I don't have to even look and instead think of happy thoughts while I smoke.
However anything to form a new generation of smoke-free people gets my vote.
Let's hope enough people take the hint and not go down the same road I did.
It's funny but when I started the packets where more consumer friendly.

Edited by Medium Brown, 19 December 2012 - 10:58 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#3    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

I have no problems with health warnings.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#4    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,758 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

75 percent of the packet covered. sounds like overkill to me ffs.

Maybe we should stop trying to tell people how to live there life?

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#5    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:04 AM

Bah, I keep getting the lung cancer ones. I'd prefer gum disease or something less severe like that, but I guess all the less severe ones are taken by the time I get there, so I'm left with the ones that give you lung cancer.

#6    Insaniac

Insaniac

Psychic Spy

• 1,060 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:09 AM

View Postspartan max2, on 19 December 2012 - 11:46 PM, said:

75 percent of the packet covered. sounds like overkill to me ffs.

Maybe we should stop trying to tell people how to live there life?

In some cases, you're correct. We shouldn't be told how to live our lives in many aspects.

However, smoking is something I think we as a species ought to do without. If people didn't live a disobedient lifestyle, you wouldn't even see warning labels on the side of cigarette cases. You wouldn't even see cigarette's, period.

Smoking is a lethal and addictive killer. In the end, It leaves the smoker as a dried-up husk, who is eventually likely to get Cancer and perish. In the process of his selfish punishment, he serves to further pollute the environment. Not a good situation for anybody.

Nothing positive comes from smoking. It should be outlawed in all countries, in my opinion. For the health of our species and our home, Earth.

"He is wise in heart and mighty in strength. Who has hardened their heart against Him, and succeeded"? ~ Job 9:4

#7    Drayno

Drayno

Draynor's Finest

• 3,707 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:23 AM

Health warnings offer people nothing more than a choice - a choice to do something harmful to themselves, or not to.

As a former smoker, I can say that I didn't like people telling me what to put in my own body.

I, as an adult, made the choice to quit because I didn't like the effects on my health.

Other people will do the same - or they won't. That's the difference, and it's no one elses business.

But 75% of the packet sounds like overkill.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II

#8    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostEonwe, on 20 December 2012 - 04:23 AM, said:

Health warnings offer people nothing more than a choice - a choice to do something harmful to themselves, or not to.

As a former smoker, I can say that I didn't like people telling me what to put in my own body.

I, as an adult, made the choice to quit because I didn't like the effects on my health.

Other people will do the same - or they won't. That's the difference, and it's no one elses business.

Is it no one else's bussiness?

Most smokers don't seem to realise they are not alone in the world and their smoking also has it's effect on others.
For example walking through town and a smoker walks in front of you and the non-smoker is trapped behind having to inhale the second-hand smoke.
Or ppl smoking in their car creating a mini gas chamber. Etc..

I mean, there are other ppl out there, that don't smoke and aren't pleased with having to inhale smoke from others who clearly aren't able to think about anybody else but themselves.
So who's more in the wrong here? The unhealthy smoker, or the person that tries to stay more healthy by not wanting to inhale smoke frequently? Who should have the law on their side more?

#9    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,776 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

the biggest advert for the Tobacco companies is parents, extended family members and friends smoking - young children watch this, grow into adults and become tempted - i think a lot of people start smoking because its a case of monkey see monkey do.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#10    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,759 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

View PostInsaniac, on 20 December 2012 - 02:09 AM, said:

In some cases, you're correct. We shouldn't be told how to live our lives in many aspects.

However, smoking is something I think we as a species ought to do without. If people didn't live a disobedient lifestyle, you wouldn't even see warning labels on the side of cigarette cases. You wouldn't even see cigarette's, period.

Smoking is a lethal and addictive killer. In the end, It leaves the smoker as a dried-up husk, who is eventually likely to get Cancer and perish. In the process of his selfish punishment, he serves to further pollute the environment. Not a good situation for anybody.

Nothing positive comes from smoking. It should be outlawed in all countries, in my opinion. For the health of our species and our home, Earth.

I can agree with most of what you posted... but I'm not certain what you meant by "disobedient lifestyle"... Perhaps you meant 'destructive lifestyle" which I agree with...  but if you really meant 'disobedient'... whom shall we be obedient to? and to what degree?

As to the warning labels... People don't read or pay attention to them  now.. they won't later either...

#11    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:06 AM

View Poststevewinn, on 20 December 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

- i think a lot of people start smoking because its a case of monkey see monkey do.

I think that's the ONLY reason. Seeing there is no other benefit from inhaling smoke into your lungs on a frequent basis.
Otherwise we should all be firemen/women.

#12    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

Although I enjoy smoking I wouldn't defend it in any way. 75% of the packaging for warnings sure,whatever. But if they plan to add some nice graphic pictures of rotten lungs on cigarette packs, how about some nice graphic pictures of rotten kidneys and livers on bottles of liquor.

#13    Insaniac

Insaniac

Psychic Spy

• 1,060 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

View PostTaun, on 20 December 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

I can agree with most of what you posted... but I'm not certain what you meant by "disobedient lifestyle"... Perhaps you meant 'destructive lifestyle" which I agree with...  but if you really meant 'disobedient'... whom shall we be obedient to? and to what degree?

As to the warning labels... People don't read or pay attention to them  now.. they won't later either...

I think I ment both 'disobedient lifestyle' and 'destructive lifestyle.'

To turn from ones parents, who love, care and want the best for you healthwise to take up smoking, would be disobedience towards them.

Take care

Edited by Insaniac, 26 December 2012 - 11:33 PM.

"He is wise in heart and mighty in strength. Who has hardened their heart against Him, and succeeded"? ~ Job 9:4

#14    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,902 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

Pretty much the only advertisement tobacco gets nowadays is how unhealthy it is and how you'll get cancer by smoking it.  How could tougher health warnings possibly hope to accomplish anything?  It seems pointless.

I'm a non-smoker for the record.

#15    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Why can't the EU, to use a pun, just butt out?

We already have enough over-the-top warnings on fag packets already, with pictures of corpses and diseased lungs on them and the words "SMOKING KILLS" in big letters.

People know that smoking is bad for their health but if people want to smoke I don't see what the problem is.  Even more over-the-top warnings on health packets is not going to stop loads of people smoking.

This is just another example of our leaders, especially in Europe, treating us all like children who think we never use any commonsense.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 27 December 2012 - 03:49 PM.

Also tagged with tobacco, health, warnings, eu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users