Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 4 votes

Hands Evolved for Punching?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• 6,778 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 20 December 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

All apes have fists..should be all apes not just humans

Apes can't make proper fists. Their hands have evolved to hold bananas (and, yeah, tree-branches 'n' stuff), not punch. They can't close it as tight as humans, which is what concentrates the power and force needed for a good punch. Something like that.

#17    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Im not sure about this one. I think they concluded wrongly.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#18    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 7,002 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 21 December 2012 - 02:33 PM, said:

Apes can't make proper fists. Their hands have evolved to hold bananas (and, yeah, tree-branches 'n' stuff), not punch. They can't close it as tight as humans, which is what concentrates the power and force needed for a good punch. Something like that.

...  which would protect the fingers .. as the study says...     My earlier quicky smartypants response about the human hand's ability to Grasp... didn't take into consideration that many primates can also  grasp things.    But still...  how much  Punching  does the average human do?   Enough to affect the physiology of hands?   Seems unlikely?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#19    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

We also don't knuckle walk.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#20    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,275 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

View PostHasina, on 21 December 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

We also don't knuckle walk.

Some of us don't knuckle-walk any more!

Posted Image

Others still prefer it!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#21    WolvenHeart7

WolvenHeart7

Alien Abducter

• 4,616 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

Just gives me another reason to knock the living daylights out of some idiots around here.. :innocent:

#22    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,357 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

It is really easy to break your hand hitting someone with your fist. I think they are more set up for throwing.  Throw then run, repeat, until the lion has had enough and moves off its prey.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#23    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• 6,778 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

View Postlightly, on 21 December 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

...  which would protect the fingers .. as the study says... My earlier quicky smartypants response about the human hand's ability to Grasp... didn't take into consideration that many primates can also  grasp things. But still...  how much  Punching  does the average human do?   Enough to affect the physiology of hands?   Seems unlikely?

Maybe not as much these days, but even a few hundred years ago (and less) fighting with fists was extremely common.

#24    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 2,208 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 21 December 2012 - 08:53 PM, said:

Maybe not as much these days, but even a few hundred years ago (and less) fighting with fists was extremely common.
How common though? For survival, humans will always prefer a weapon to their fists. With regards to fighting with fists, many wouldn't do it much at all in their whole lives. In the past I doubt there would have been enough fist fighting to alter our physiology.

Edit: Or was there some period in early history where there was a bare knuckle world war which lasted a few thousand years?

Edited by Timonthy, 21 December 2012 - 09:06 PM.

Posted Image

#25    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

Makes perfect sense as it's still a primitive reflex to punch which has ended many a life and put many more in jail. Also it compensates to have a club (fist) replace blades (claws) all which we gave up when we wanted to use our hands. I'm in agreeance

Edited by Chooky88, 21 December 2012 - 10:42 PM.

#26    Kratology

Kratology

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 87 posts

• No rest for the wicked.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

You can definitely condition your fist to be a great weapon. I agree with all the assessments here about what the human hand is built for. It's all of thee above! Tool making, throwing, picking, grabbing, hitting.

Yea, we bad!

#27    Razer

Razer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

:td: So, our closest relatives chimps, apes and the like are at least 6 times stronger pound for pound, yet our evolutionary path let us get by without the strength but yet the hands evolved to punch things.   Yeah, that makes sense :td:

#28    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 2,208 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

Seriously I don't think punching has ever been a big enough part of human existence for it to be a primary reason for why our hands evolved why they did.

Posted Image

#29    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

In boxing, boxing gloves allow for more face hits, which increases the risk for brain damage. Normally, when we go to punch each other, we rarely actually go for the face, you go for the body, you block with your arms, keep your head low, etc. I think it's more fist fighting between other humans. It's a good way to establish dominance, without causing much damage but it will show ya who's boss.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#30    Ronseal

Ronseal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 52 posts

• another man's junk is another man's treasure

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

When I first got into boxing they taught me to hit the bag and mitts with a open hand. Was not till I got my gloves and wraps I got to use my fisty cuffs.

Edited by Ronseal, 22 December 2012 - 12:43 AM.

Every Dog Has His Day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users