Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Sprouts should come with a health warning'

Still Waters

They are the Christmas vegetables that split opinion and now doctors say Brussels sprouts should come with a health warning after a man was admitted to hospital by eating them.

The leafy green vegetables contain vitamin K, a chemical the body uses to promote blood clotting, and it counteracts the effects of anticoagulants (blood thinning medication).

The man, from Ayrshire, was prescribed anticoagulants after suffering heart failure last year and his dose was monitored once or twice a week to prevent blood clotting.

http://www.telegraph...o-hospital.html

• Like 1

But would they not help hemophiliacs?

• Like 1

It's true! I'm a 'thrombophiliac' and I have been on anti-coagulants for just over 27 years. I clot very quickly and have had DVTs and pulmonary embolisms so many times I have lost count. Brussel sprouts, some other green veg including salad affect the clotting time. I have my blood monitored every friday and tomorrow I will get the usual lecture at the anticoag clinic on what I can and can't eat over Christmas including alcohol boohoo!! It won't stop me eating my sprouts though I love them... everything in moderation lol!

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 2

But would they not help hemophiliacs?

I've often wondered that because I'm the opposite to a hemophiliac and have a condition where my blood clots too fast.

I've often wondered that because I'm the opposite to a hemophiliac and have a condition where my blood clots too fast.

I am no medical person, but it would seem logical, surely there must be some experiments being done on it, unless they already have something sufficient.

I am no medical person, but it would seem logical, surely there must be some experiments being done on it, unless they already have something sufficient.

I do know when my blood has gone too thin on the anti-coags I'm given vitamin K to make it clot quicker. Maybe there is some chemical similar to sprouts in it? Who knows!

It's true! I'm a 'thrombophiliac' and I have been on anti-coagulants for just over 27 years. I clot very quickly and have had DVTs and pulmonary embolisms so many times I have lost count. Brussel sprouts, some other green veg including salad affect the clotting time. I have my blood monitored every friday and tomorrow I will get the usual lecture at the anticoag clinic on what I can and can't eat over Christmas including alcohol boohoo!! It won't stop me eating my sprouts though I love them... everything in moderation lol!

Oh my god ....

You should look into a few supplements that naturally thin the blood .

I will say no more ...

• Like 2

I do know when my blood has gone too thin on the anti-coags I'm given vitamin K to make it clot quicker. Maybe there is some chemical similar to sprouts in it? Who knows!

They say to optimize vitamin K,it should be taken in proper amounts with vitamin D .

You should ask your doctor if either could help you ,if taken regularly .

Oh my god ....

You should look into a few supplements that naturally thin the blood .

I will say no more ...

Hi Simbi!

I wish I knew where to start with natural remedies over here in the UK! I'm on a very high dose of warfarin 40 mgs a day (usually its 3mg a day) so every few months I have to switch to heparin injections as my liver has taken a pounding as I also have haematomachrosis which is another blood complication (too much iron in blood) so I have to have blood letting to get rid of the iron if it gets to high.

• Like 2

They say to optimize vitamin K,it should be taken in proper amounts with vitamin D .

You should ask your doctor if either could help you ,if taken regularly .

Hi Simbi,

My INR has only gone too high a couple of times so it's not too much of a problem for me. It's keeping it thin that's my problem. It's a flippen nuisance lol!

• Like 1

Hi Simbi!

I wish I knew where to start with natural remedies over here in the UK! I'm on a very high dose of warfarin 40 mgs a day (usually its 3mg a day) so every few months I have to switch to heparin injections as my liver has taken a pounding as I also have haematomachrosis which is another blood complication (too much iron in blood) so I have to have blood letting to get rid of the iron if it gets to high.

That's a very high dose of warfarin . You shouldn't take anything else,natural or not,to thin your blood.

Do you know if you have inflammatory issues in your vasculature ? As that too can precipitate clots .

You should eat all natural ,and no high fructose corn syrup ,EVER .

Seriously .

I'm so sorry you have to go thru this .

This is ridiculous. You put the health warning on the medicine, not the food, like they do for medicines that interact with grapefruit.

• Like 2

If you like them you should grow your own. Easy to do indoors year round.

This is ridiculous. You put the health warning on the medicine, not the food, like they do for medicines that interact with grapefruit.

People who are on coumadin/warfarin do get those warnings but it's quite easy to forget and eat something especially at a holiday meal that can cause a problem. I've been on coumadin now for about 18 months and like SoTS said - it's a flippin' nuisance! BUT...blood clots in the lungs are MUCH WORSE! I was raised on collards and turnips and I love cranberries....all of them are strictly VERBOTEN...
  • Like 1

People who are on coumadin/warfarin do get those warnings but it's quite easy to forget and eat something especially at a holiday meal that can cause a problem. I've been on coumadin now for about 18 months and like SoTS said - it's a flippin' nuisance! BUT...blood clots in the lungs are MUCH WORSE! I was raised on collards and turnips and I love cranberries....all of them are strictly VERBOTEN...

Once you are predisposed to an ailment ,with or without new meds,diet has to change in some instances ,and its awful when its stuff that isn't unhealthy under norm conditions.

After I had my kidney stone,I couldn't have soda,tea,cauliflower .

I live on tea ,ok ....and with the soda,its the carbonation,not the ingredients .

I do moderation ,because I cannot live without my tea.

If I get a stone,I will cuss about it later .

• Like 1

Coumadin is made from rat poison anyways. So the sprouts killed him. Or the condition he originally needed the med for anyways. coumadin is highly monitored and people are instructed on what to and what not to add/delete from there diet. Even the things you should not eat can be eaten sparingly. Its not a toxic thing. Unless this guy was eating sprouts by the bushel (btw meat increases brain function better then veggie matter by volume) I cant see how they would have caused him harm.

There is often mistakes made with dosing and some people are easier to regulate then others. It is very similar to monitoring a diabetic but requires a laboratory to analyze the blood.

Coumadin is a life saving drug for many people around the world I felt it was the 2nd most dangerous drug I would administer on a regular basis after chemo agents.

• Like 1

good grief. All fruits and vegetables contain certain Vitamins and anti oxidants. We should just ban food.

Just because I like a fruit or vegetable I don't overdo it by eating so much that I get problems. Now I know where all the brussel sprouts disappeared to.

There are many medications that react to certain fruits. One should check with their doctor or check out the FDA website for drug/food interactions.

It is common sense and with some medications there are very serious side effects to begin with. You have to take control of your own health by being informed and aware.

Edited by minera
  • Like 3

Hi Simbi!

Brilliant stuff - Warfarin - it certainly keeps the rat population down in my barns!

• Like 3

'Christmas' sprouts in our humble abode come with roast onions, chopped chestnuts and chopped bacon pieces. Yummy!

I've just remembered Old Bert Timpkins from the next village - it was potatoes that killed him. A hundredweight sack of King Edwards fell off the delivery lorry on to the back of his neck two Christmasses ago!

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 4