Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 3 votes

Guns are part of the American identity

• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

#346    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 02 January 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

The answer is: no more guns exports to Mexico unless they can control the stuff.

The war against the drug cartels has failed and is a waste of money. Invading Mexico to get at somebody, as proven by the Pershing expedition to catch Pancho Villa, leads nowhere. The cartels are still singing the the song about "Our Mexico on the 23d of February". And if you know Spanish it is not the kind of song we want to hear.

holy crap I didn't think anybody else knew about the mexican punitive expedition

As for the gun control discussion: How immoral and unjust we have allowed our society to become I don't feel we can be trusted with the rights we are granted by our creator. I doubt our founders could have envisioned this country or it's people sinking so low that these massacres are almost common place and pretty much all we do is sit and watch it all unfold on TV( I wonder how the boston massacre would have been covered). we are suppose to be a free society but our moral compass is so out of whack we deserve whatever control our elected officials decided to put on us.
I'm the first one to jump to the defence of the constitution and our founders but until we address the underlying problems with this country we don't deserve what they fought and died for.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#347    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,808 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostMiskatonicGrad, on 03 January 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

holy crap I didn't think anybody else knew about the mexican punitive expedition

The dealings with Mexican sovereignty has created two taboo themes: The Mexican-American war and the Pershing expedition, but I can understand that we are not proud of either chapter.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#348    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 14,419 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

View PostMiskatonicGrad, on 03 January 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

As for the gun control discussion: How immoral and unjust we have allowed our society to become I don't feel we can be trusted with the rights we are granted by our creator. I doubt our founders could have envisioned this country or it's people sinking so low that these massacres are almost common place and pretty much all we do is sit and watch it all unfold on TV( I wonder how the boston massacre would have been covered). we are suppose to be a free society but our moral compass is so out of whack we deserve whatever control our elected officials decided to put on us.
I'm the first one to jump to the defence of the constitution and our founders but until we address the underlying problems with this country we don't deserve what they fought and died for.
Part and parcel to the epidemic problem....we sit and watch it on TV...and on Movie Screens...not just the reporting, but the non-stop graphic violence in movies, TV shows, Video Games.  We are numb and have become a very sick caricature of our on-screen lust for violence.  Outlaw graphic violence in our media culture and begin punishing ...really punishing criminals that do this stuff...and you will see an end to it...don't blame the guns.  The thirst for guns however is also part of the problem and it all comes from what I just said.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#349    RavenHawk

RavenHawk

Government Agent

• 3,600 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

I’ve been on vacation the last couple of weeks with no internet access – enjoying the beaches in Florida…  I’m not going to read through the 24 pages of responses.

What happened in Connecticut is indeed tragic and the response is over blown knee-jerk stupidity.

The first thing that came to mind when I started looking at this thread was:

Ivory Coast mourns 60 killed in New Year's stampede
http://www.cnn.com/2...aths/index.html

Man Slashes 22 Children With Knife In China
http://www.inquisitr...knife-in-china/

The problem isn’t that people own guns.  It’s that people fear and disrespect the use of guns.  Removing the implements does not correct or ease the underlying issue of irresponsibility.  Man is a killer.  He will always find ways to kill.  Being Apathetic and Ignorant only compounds the problem.  We need to embrace that violent aspect of our natures and learn how to handle it on a personal level.  That is what an Inalienable Right (*AND* Responsibility) is.  No one can give or take this away.  If you don’t like your neighbor having a gun, then move or get a gun yourself (and learn how to use it).  Having the government try to corral the inner beast will only accomplish in agitating the situation even more.  Revolution is the usual outcome.  An Inalienable Right is up to the individual to exercise.  It is Liberty and Freedom that is the American Identity and anything that assures that is essential to keeping it.  Guns are only a small part of it.

*Signature removed* Forum Rules

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users