Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

For the theorists: Why did the world not end?

21/12/12 doomsday 21 12 2012

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#46    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,089 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 21 December 2012 - 08:31 PM, said:

So then Black Holes don't eat matter and dust. Because they need a gravity to pull their food in.
Huh?  Black holes certainly do eat up matter because they have gravity.  I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Thank you. I appreciate the information and well just have to see what happens over the next few years if that insignificant gravitational change is enough to move a pea sized rock in a different direction.
Can I ask you exactly what "insignificant gravitational change" you are talking about?  What has changed and why?

What's special about his particular "gravitational change" even if it exists?  The sun's position relative to other stars is changing slowly all the time and thus there are always subtle and extremely small gravitational changes around the sun that can nudge objects out of the Oort cloud perhaps sending

I have never heard this 100 mile thing. Are you suggesting this once every 26,000 year event is a change in 100 miles seems odd to myself. Can you help explain how that is so. Are you saying we are moving on a flat like plane then ?
What "100 mile thing" and what "26,000 year event"?

I never mentioned anything to do with "100 miles".  And if the 26,000 year event you're talking about is the 26,000 years that each cycle of precession takes to complete, there is an amazing amount of pseudo-scientific BS linking it to galactic alignments and 2012.

What am I suggesting is that given that the gravitational pull of the black hole at the center of the galaxy is 670,000,000,000 times weaker than the sun's gravitational force on us, so that even if me moved, let's say, 1% closer to the center of the galaxy (which would take 260 years travelling at the speed of light, so I'm deliberately using a hugely exagerrated number), the result would be a 2% in that 670,000,000,000 times weaker force it currently exerts on us and objects in our vicinity than the sun does.  Given that the variation in local gravity as the distance between the earth, moon and sun changes over their orbital cycles is millions of times greater, I'm struggling to see what effect it is that you think might be remotely significant.   Any possible gravitational force changes related to our distance from the center of the galaxy is utterly swamped by factors of millions of billions greater by other local changes.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#47    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

That first question was just a gutcheck so we could be sure to agree on something.

I can follow your math and you are obviously more educated on the subject then myself. Is it theoretical or emperical math ? Can we actually physically measure this gravity yet ? Im curious about that.

I dont know where I read 100 miles but I could have sworn i did. Guess I need new reading glasses.

Edited by AsteroidX, 21 December 2012 - 09:10 PM.

#48    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,089 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

It's Newton's law of universal gravitation.

F=Gm1m2/r^2

Where F is the force between 2 bodies, G is Newton's gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the 2 bodies and r is the distance between them.

You can thus calculate and compare the forces of various astronomical objects on earth compared with something like the sun.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#49    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:41 AM

Posted Image

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#50    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,406 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

View Postshaddow134, on 22 December 2012 - 02:41 AM, said:

Posted Image
Well done! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:  Thanks, I needed that!

Edited by Merc14, 22 December 2012 - 02:45 AM.

Nice midterms democrats.  As Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#51    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• 1,216 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:30 AM

Whichever god or gods didn't read their emails people! you'll be hearing from the lawyers very soon. The only thing worse than having an apocalypse is having an anti-apocalyse. That's as bad as having an apocalypse and nobody came!

#52    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

View PostTimonthy, on 21 December 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

Ok guys. So why are we still here?

Open slate. All answers welcome.

Any theories? Any extended time frames? Any '2 year buffers' to help you not look so wrong?

I do want answers. And I know there are people on here who should be replying to this topic.

I will be liberal in my replies.

Please proceed...

The world did end, our souls were absorbed by Cthulhu's consciousness and continue to linger in a sort of dreamlike limbo... kind of like life previous to the apocalypse.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#53    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

View PostHasina, on 21 December 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

We just didn't want it enough.

Very good point. I was half expecting some idiot to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#54    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

Thank You

t's Newton's law of universal gravitation.

F=Gm1m2/r^2

Where F is the force between 2 bodies, G is Newton's gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the 2 bodies and r is the distance between them.

You can thus calculate and compare the forces of various astronomical objects on earth compared with something like the sun.

Newton had an apple fall on his head what is our experience with this equation such as to the Central Blackhole. Would it stand up or is there some guessing at that distance ?

#55    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,089 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 22 December 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

Thank You

Newton had an apple fall on his head what is our experience with this equation such as to the Central Blackhole. Would it stand up or is there some guessing at that distance ?
There's no reason to think there's anything wrong with it.  It successfully describes the orbits of the planets, the moon, satellites, how objects fall in a vacuum, etc.   It was used to calculate the trajectories of the Apollo craft to successfully land people on the moon.

It's been succeeded by general relativity, but you only need general relativity in cases where you need extreme accuracy or in extreme situations where Newton's law breaks down.

It's been shown that gravitational force drops off proportional to the square of the distance, e.g. if the earth was twice the distance from the sun, the force of gravity would be 1/4 of what it is, if the moon was 10 times further away, the attraction between the earth and moon would be 100 times less, etc.

You need to provide a specific reason why this universal law doesn't hold in this case and for some reason the gravitational force between the earth and Sagittarius A*  is far stronger than it otherwise should be and explain why it is that you believe that this force has altered recently enough to possibly send comets or asteroids from outside our solar system into it.  As it is, you're not really making much of a case, you haven't actually explained in any specific way what you think might have occurred to do with the black hole at the center of the galaxy and our solar system and why it might make any difference.

#56    The_Spirit_of_Truth

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:52 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 21 December 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

It did end for a billionth of a second, then the earth was re-created and everyone on it. Like magic.

It was such a short moment, that nobody could have actually noticed it so the end of the world had escaped everyone's physical perception. :clap:

Some of your ideas have a very peculiar tone. Anyway, you made me laugh. Thanks.

#57    fadedface

fadedface

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

This is the last time I believe unsubstantiated new age theories.

I was genuinely hoping that humanity would be purged from the planet in some great cataclysm I would have happily accepted my own destruction if I knew the rest of the human race was going down with me. But I was left disappointed and still 'alive'.

Also the idea of acension seemed quite an appealing one but again another lie and example of new age propaganda. I was waiting to be given the chance to ascend looks like I'll have to do it myself now.

Edited by fadedface, 24 December 2012 - 03:31 PM.

#58    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,798 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

hang on .. did someone just say, in all honesty, "we don't reallly know waht the Maya did or did not know" as a DEFENCE of the Maya end-of-the-world prophesy?

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#59    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:35 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 25 December 2012 - 10:40 PM, said:

hang on .. did someone just say, in all honesty, "we don't reallly know waht the Maya did or did not know" as a DEFENCE of the Maya end-of-the-world prophesy?

There can be no defense of the Mayan end of the world prophecy, because there is no Mayan end of the world prophecy. They didn't believe in the end of the world.
To paraphrase Steven Wright, the world may have ended but been replaced by an exact duplicate. Or... in other words, there's this...

http://www.alternati...k/Particles.htm

"In the world of particle physics, matter is constantly flashing in and out of existence as new particles are created and destroyed."

...so the world is constantly ending.

On that weird note, Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

Edited by MysticStrummer, 26 December 2012 - 01:43 AM.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#60    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,642 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:55 AM

Like Jesus said when the ancients asked the question . no one knows the hour not even him:):)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users