Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Gun Laws Vs. Homicides By State

gunlaw statistics gun control

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1    Dredimus

Dredimus

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:02 AM

I am posting this to further the current discussion on fire arms control laws and issues that seems to be a huge topic since the Sandy Hook slayings. I was digging for information that would conclude the effectiveness of gun control laws per state vs gun related homicides in those states... I find it interesting that its just about tied when all is taken into account. Look at Illinois for instance, according to my research that state is thought to have the second most strict gun control law in the United States yet it ranks second with the most gun related homicides in the country.... and on the other end of the spectrum you have Vermont who has very few fire arms laws on the books yet they rate as the lowest in the country for Gun Related Homicides...

Please note the best and most complete data I could find is from 2004 so that is where ALL of the statistics come from. Interestingly enough its also when the federal assault weapons ban was lifted   LINK GOES TO GOOGLE DOCUMENT BECAUSE I COULDN'T MAKE IT LOAD CORRECTLY ON THIS FORUM FROM SPREADSHEET.        

Sources: State-level homicide characteristics database
   Bureau of Justice Statistics
   WIKI - Thank you for the charting
   Smart Gun Laws
   Christian Science Monitor

Edited by Dredimus, 22 December 2012 - 04:20 AM.

#2    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:03 AM

I think there are tons of factors that goes into that as well.

For instance, maybe Vermont has had traditionally low gun crimes, so there has never been a need to address it in their state government.

Illinois has been plagued by high gun crime rates for decades, thus the laws trying to curb that.  

I wonder how much of that Illinois gun crime is centered around Chicago?  States with large urban areas probably have harsher laws, but decidedly more gun violence.

#3    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

What does by state matter. Ort is it for numerical value ?

This is homicide rate by state for the past 15 years.. Note I dont care for gun control and that is not part of this equation.

http://www.deathpena...and-state#MRord

Edited by AsteroidX, 22 December 2012 - 05:10 AM.

#4    Maizer

Maizer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:15 AM

The analysis is pretty much useless when you can buy a gun in any state and drive across the border. Gather data from different countries, where you can't just cross a border with a Glock

#5    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

If this thread is going to be about other nations then America I will leave it now.

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,421 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

View Postsupervike, on 22 December 2012 - 05:03 AM, said:

I think there are tons of factors that goes into that as well.

For instance, maybe Vermont has had traditionally low gun crimes, so there has never been a need to address it in their state government.

Illinois has been plagued by high gun crime rates for decades, thus the laws trying to curb that.  

I wonder how much of that Illinois gun crime is centered around Chicago?  States with large urban areas probably have harsher laws, but decidedly more gun violence.

There are several things to consider here. First as you have already noted, the homicides in Vermont are quite lowin number (I think it was 2 in 2010, and only one of them with firearms and 4 in 2011) so they would not be a concern to the legislative (the index remained below 3 per 100,000 since the 80s and never got any higher than 5.5since the 70s). There were people handle their guns responsibly you don't need laws.

And yes, you are right, of the 721 murders in 2011 641 were committed in Chicago, and most of the rest in the suburban area of Chicago. For Illinois at large you would not need harsh laws.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

So what do these numbers mean. Are they going to go up or are they going to go down ?

Static numbers are useless except for putting on your fridge,

Edited by AsteroidX, 22 December 2012 - 10:27 AM.

#8    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,850 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 22 December 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

There are several things to consider here. First as you have already noted, the homicides in Vermont are quite lowin number (I think it was 2 in 2010, and only one of them with firearms and 4 in 2011) so they would not be a concern to the legislative (the index remained below 3 per 100,000 since the 80s and never got any higher than 5.5since the 70s). There were people handle their guns responsibly you don't need laws.

And yes, you are right, of the 721 murders in 2011 641 were committed in Chicago, and most of the rest in the suburban area of Chicago. For Illinois at large you would not need harsh laws.

There are other factors as well. I believe Vermont is a open carry state. How much of that contributed to thier low crime rate?

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#9    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,879 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

I could have interpreted it wrong, but it seemed to me that the level of gun control had no statistical effect on the percentage of homicides caused by guns.

#10    Cradle of Fish

Cradle of Fish

Alien Abducter

• 4,583 posts

• "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

View PostAsteroidX, on 22 December 2012 - 07:29 AM, said:

If this thread is going to be about other nations then America I will leave it now.

God damn that rest of the world!

I am not a man, merely a parody of one.

#11    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

All the Feds live in Vermont. Of course its safer. I don't need a statistic to tell me when like minded people live and cohabitate near each other that it would be safer.

#12    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,421 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

View PostWickian, on 22 December 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

I could have interpreted it wrong, but it seemed to me that the level of gun control had no statistical effect on the percentage of homicides caused by guns.

correct, what does have an affect is letting brain amputated possess guns and that guns are passed uncontrolled to criminals by the same.

Which is why in most states some form of effective control is desperately needed. Just banning this or that type of weapon leads nowhere. Effectively avoiding idiots to have them does.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#13    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

Who do you consider a criminal. Is someone that needs to steal for food a criminal in your eyes today >?

play nice now

Edited by AsteroidX, 22 December 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#14    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,421 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 22 December 2012 - 12:32 PM, said:

Who do you consider a criminal. Is someone that needs to steal for food a criminal in your eyes today >?

Somebody who steals food is mostly a failure of good governance, yet we cannot let it happen habitually. So, I would say that I consider the person habitually stealing a criminal.

about me

#15    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

Thats a shame. I dont imagine youve been left hungry much.

Also tagged with gunlaw, statistics, gun control

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users