Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

How do i tell my parents i'm not christian

atheist tell not christian parents

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

View PostCelestialStar, on 23 December 2012 - 12:33 AM, said:

Just as i stated in the title, i am not christian, my parents dont know, but my parents get visibly upset when i say something remotely against Christianity.
(they are super christian, to the point of refusing to let any of my siblings or me eat at all unless we pray)
So telling them flat out im an atheist would certainly pose as a problem.  But, hipocrisy is getting irritating too.
If you attempt to convert me, i will pay you no mind.
is there a good way to do it that won't end in rage or argument. i get yelled at or punished for expressing not wanting to go to church as well so obviously there would be warfare (not literally)
any ideas?

Well, obviously you are a minor and live with your parents. So why not just play along until you move out or become an adult, whatever comes first? Trust me, what seems like a long time to you now will pass quickly.
Just be glad your parents are Christian and not muslim... in that case they would be obligated by religious laws to kill you if you left the religion (which does not always happen, luckily, but happens all too often).

And by the way, there are plenty of atheist Christians, so why don´t you consider accepting the positive contributions of Christianity without feeling the need to believe the religious nonsense? You are not alone there.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#32    himalyanmystic

himalyanmystic

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

I think if u dont want to do something u must have valid reasons but cant a person explain his true reasons especially to parents and family .............Its a matter about religion
maybe one must probe for why within and speak about the reasons and conclusions derived as they are without change.Because ur an intelligent person you could be straight forward.Without hurting anyone .U can always say that in case later u discover that u are wrong u wil reconsider.I believe anything that is thrust upon the person can become a problem instead of its original intended purpose.But many atheists seem to also become spiritual later on in their lives .

[HIMALAYANMYSTIC

#33    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Simply. Tell them that you respect them and their beliefs. That you have respect for Church and tradition. But that you dont feel what they feel.
That you think that for now , for a while, you need to explore life and not to care too much about hard religious questions.
That you are good and moral person no matter what just that you find boring to go in Church on sunday. But because they are your parents and because obviously thats your tradition you will have respect for their beliefs and their customs.
Its best to look on Church as your national flag until you become older. No matter what nation you belong you can always found bad and good things.

So, respect will calm down your mother and father. If they reject your explaination then use Gandhi startegy.
Its startegy of passive resistance. Because you are not in position you will obey their orders and keep silence but whenever you have a chance to sabotage it or to calmly express your feelings -do it.

Always remember Gandhi when he politly asked British to leave India, you are not welcome here anymore, it would be best that you leave.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#34    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,037 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Before you decide what you are or not, study it. I as a kid never took anyone`s word for beliefs and study it all. You`d be surpise what you may or  may not believe:)

Also tagged with atheist, tell, not, christian, parents

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users