Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

What kind of secrets the sea have?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostShadowOfMothman, on 01 January 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

I agree, but you cannot rule out the possibility that large creatures, unknown to science, dwell the abyss.

Yes you can.  When you actually take the trouble to devote yourself to understanding science and how biological animals live, breed, feed, and die you start to realize that for a giant sea creature to be a reality it would have to be breaking most of the rules that other animals follow.  Possible, but highly, highly unlikely.  Nature tends to follow what is likely for a situation.  Giant sea creatures have to eat - they would be making a measurable impact on the food chain.  They also die eventually and would leave remains somewhere at some point.  In addition for them to exist there would have to be more than just a few, otherwise they can't breed.  Eventually one of them would leave some evidence of its existence.  This has not happened.  Just because we haven't seen every inch of ocean doesn't mean that we don't have a good solid idea of how it all works together.  A giant sea beast just doesn't fit.

#32    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:31 AM

View PostClobhair-cean, on 25 December 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

The Bloop is not a mystery any more. It has been identified as an icequake.
oh i see

"If god doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." "A believer is not a thinker and a thinker is not a believer." - Marian Noel Sherman, M.D.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

#33    iizay

iizay

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Attached File  1-s2.0-S0012821X9900271X-gr1.gif   51.48K   10 downloads

The Kerguelen Plateau. I'm mad curious about this place. If there were ever deep underwater caverns filled with the ghosts of some lost race, it would probably be here.

And this:

http://phys.org/news193556580.html

#34    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

View Postiizay, on 05 January 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

Attachment 1-s2.0-S0012821X9900271X-gr1.gif

The Kerguelen Plateau. I'm mad curious about this place. If there were ever deep underwater caverns filled with the ghosts of some lost race, it would probably be here.

And this:

http://phys.org/news193556580.html

seriously?

#35    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

• Find out what you love and let it kill you.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

I'll tell you what the sea has: isopods... GIANT ISOPODS!

Posted Image

Dare you to call that thing a doodle bug to it's face.

#36    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

I'd have one of them buggers as a pet if I could! But I can't, so I won't :(

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#37    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

View PostPlanB, on 05 January 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

I'll tell you what the sea has: isopods... GIANT ISOPODS!

Posted Image

Dare you to call that thing a doodle bug to it's face.

Ken we eats  it?  Does it tassssste nice?

#38    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

• Find out what you love and let it kill you.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Wouldn't mind having one as a pet either. Or to try it boiled with some drawn butter. I'm good with either.

#39    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

Wonder if it'd be like crab? Probably not. Has anyone ever eaten slaters before, could maybe give a critique?

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#40    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

• "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

I personally always wanted a pet squid. Always thought they looked cute.

Posted Image

Aw. :blush:

Posted Image

Domina Lucis

#41    flareobox

flareobox

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

I have played with this proposition before and I came to the conclusion that possibly anything could be in the ocean. Especially when you travel miles underneath the surface. I am also looking into studying Marine Biology just so I can get a glimpse of one of those amazing creatures.

#42    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

View Postflareobox, on 06 January 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

I have played with this proposition before and I came to the conclusion that possibly anything could be in the ocean. Especially when you travel miles underneath the surface. I am also looking into studying Marine Biology just so I can get a glimpse of one of those amazing creatures.

Once you get around to actually studying marine biology you will begin to understand that science has a pretty good bead on what it takes for animals to survive at great depths.  They are generally small, blind, and strange looking due to the challenges of living in a frigid, lightless environment.  Large ocean-going creatures live near the surface, because the abundance of life at the surface is better suited to support the caloric intake requirements of a large animal.  The likelihood, therefore of there being some sort of monstrous, unknown megafauna living in the deepest depths of the ocean is astronomically unlikely.  

Actually learning about science is the best way to understand it.  If there were gigantic, unknown species traversing the ocean we would know about them, for the reasons that I and others in this thread have already explained.  Just because its dark at the bottom doesn't mean anything can live there.

#43    Peter Cox

Peter Cox

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 359 posts

• The man who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the man busy doing it.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

I have to agree with the above, if you look at vido and pics of the deepeset parts of the ocean its pretty lifeless, a monster of the deep could not live down there without having to make the surface its hunting ground. So we would see them more often I would think.

Same theory as lockness monster and the amount of fish stock there is avalible in the ness and what it would need to live are 2 diffrent figures. Im not saying its 100% impossible but its not probable.

There are monsters in the ocean that we KNOW OF but thats due to the fact they live and hunt close to the surface, so if you apply the same rules, we should know of other monsters in the ocean. Make no mistake the ocean still holds a great many secrets yet to be discovered, and Im guessing 100's of new species but Im not sure if any of them would be ship sinking monsters.

My 2c.

#44    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

The seas are basicly unexploreed. We know more about the moon and Mars than to do our seas. I am sure that there are creatures we don't know about or have seen.

#45    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

View Postwolfknight, on 07 January 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

The seas are basicly unexploreed. We know more about the moon and Mars than to do our seas. I am sure that there are creatures we don't know about or have seen.

Bul-$hit.  We know a great deal about our oceans.  The above statement is an oft repeated fallacy by people who have little or no actual knowledge of marine biology or science in general.  You are wrong.

Edited by orangepeaceful79, 07 January 2013 - 08:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users