Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mosque issues fatwa on Christmas

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 28,287 posts

• Paranoid Android... *whaa--*

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

No merriness here: mosque puts fatwa on Christmas
Date December 23, 2012
THE Lakemba Mosque has issued a fatwa against Christmas, warning followers it is a ''sin'' to even wish people a Merry Christmas.

The religious ruling, which followed a similar lecture during Friday prayers at Australia's biggest mosque, was posted on its Facebook site on Saturday morning.

The head imam at Lakemba, Sheikh Yahya Safi, had told the congregation during prayers that they should not take part in anything to do with Christmas.....

See Source for further reading.
Read this in Sunday's newspaper, thought I would share it.  Most Muslims seem to be opposed to this and have condemned the call with many Muslim community leaders making public statements denouncing the update, and ultimately leading to the Mosque taking down the update (Source).

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#2    RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel

Is he hiding nuts or just plain nuts?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

• "I have no idea."
    Nex prius vestis!
    I am terminally curious.

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

Oddly enough, I support them in this. It's their right to not celebrate it. Not like they are calling out for attacks or rudeness. Kinda like Pentecostals.
I like Christmas, but I have a personal Fatwa against celebrating Ramadan. I'd still wish a somber and poignant Ramadan without worry of it being a sin though.

I'm just glad that they have the right to say it.

EDIT: Yes, I am aware that this is not the season for Ramadan... just the only holiday that stood out in my mind. I'm sorry if I stepped on toes.

Edited by RedSquirrel, 24 December 2012 - 07:16 AM.

Posted Image   I support the majestic Pacific Northwest tree Octopus.

#3    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,163 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

Well, ho, ho, ho to them too. :santa:

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#4    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,356 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

It is not one of their holidays, so they don't have to acknowledge it.  I don't say Merry Christmas to people.  If they say it to me, I smile and say thank you or Happy Yule. I don't even see where this merits news.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#5    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 4,133 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

It's not their holiday so they don't have to say anything, but that just comes off as spiteful and childish. But then again, many sins are.

I'm glad it was taken down and rightly condemned because it seems like it's intention is just to course discord and create trouble.

Edited by shadowhive, 24 December 2012 - 12:29 PM.

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
We'll just keep on trying till we run out of cake
No one can tell you who you are
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#6    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

What idiots. Most people here in Australia (Probably most western countries as well), no matter what religion or race celebrate Christmas. It's something fun to do. Growing up, a couple of my good mates had Iranian and Cambodian parents, they both had Christmas trees etc. in their homes, not even sure what religion they were but they celebrated it as a festive sort of thing not a religious thing. Like most people I think.

Edited by DKO, 24 December 2012 - 01:03 PM.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#7    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 3,195 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

This guy is an idiot. Plain and simmple. While Christmas is not a muslim holiday Islam aknowledges the 25 of December as Jesus birthday. Educated and knowledgable muslims go at this day to a mosque and pray a Dova for Isa, Jesus. There is absolutely nothing wrong to wish Christians a Merry Christmas. Whoever sais differently is an idiot. I am proud of my bosnian islamic leaders who not only say Merry Christmas but they attend the ceremonies with the catholic leaders in Bosnia.
This guy is a moron, a hater and has no knowledge about Islam. Where do they find such iliterate orons is a puzzle to me. As a muslim I am offended and would like to kick his face.

#8    Avatar Samantha Ai

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,746 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

To get even we should put them on our prayer lists.

Oh, nevermind, I first read that they issued a fatwa against "Christians".

Now I see.

Edited by I believe you, 24 December 2012 - 02:59 PM.

#9    Blood_Sacrifice

Blood_Sacrifice

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

Well...as much as I disagree with him, I can't change his faith or force him into something he is not. He is free to believe that greeting a simple Merry Christmas is going to lead to damnation in hell as I am to believe he is an idiot. As long as he isn't advocating any violent punishment for people who goes against his words, he should be able to say his piece no matter how misogynistic I may find it to be. Free speech should be there for all - just don't cross the line into hate speech or take violent actions.

"I'm not afraid of dying, just of not achieving very much before I do." - Emma_Acid

#10    Blood_Sacrifice

Blood_Sacrifice

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

View Postodas, on 24 December 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

This guy is an idiot. Plain and simmple. While Christmas is not a muslim holiday Islam aknowledges the 25 of December as Jesus birthday. Educated and knowledgable muslims go at this day to a mosque and pray a Dova for Isa, Jesus. There is absolutely nothing wrong to wish Christians a Merry Christmas. Whoever sais differently is an idiot. I am proud of my bosnian islamic leaders who not only say Merry Christmas but they attend the ceremonies with the catholic leaders in Bosnia.
This guy is a moron, a hater and has no knowledge about Islam. Where do they find such iliterate orons is a puzzle to me. As a muslim I am offended and would like to kick his face.

You impress me. Unless I am mistaken, you are a Muslim. My family would call you a Heathen, but, well, that's their loss.

"I'm not afraid of dying, just of not achieving very much before I do." - Emma_Acid

#11    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,163 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 24 December 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

It is not one of their holidays, so they don't have to acknowledge it.  I don't say Merry Christmas to people.  If they say it to me, I smile and say thank you or Happy Yule. I don't even see where this merits news.
But telling their followers that it's a sin to even mention another religion's festival seems a but churlish, at least, doesn't it?

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#12    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,163 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

View Postodas, on 24 December 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

very good point, yes. Effectively he's disrespecting someone who's also a respected figure in Islam, isn't he.

- Philip K. Dick.

#13    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 3,195 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

View Post747400, on 24 December 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

very good point, yes. Effectively he's disrespecting someone who's also a respected figure in Islam, isn't he.
Yup, that is the paradox here. The virgin birht of Jesus in the bible is the same as the virgin birht of Jesus in Islam. His teachings are the same, the miracles.. where Islam and Christianity differ is that we do not think that Jesus is god or his son but a major prophet for mankind. The major prohpets are Adam, Abraham, Jesus and Mohammed. That is the difference and should not be intended to divide.
Unfortunately, in some cases we have some wannabe clerics, imams, who cralled out from a dark hole like lizzards and "teach" everything contrary to what is written. We all have those idiots, muslims, christians and jews. They are the kardashians of religion. Stupid, illiterate, ignorant, unskilled and out for publicity because they do not know anything else. Not giving much attantion could be the best.

Watch this soccer game:
http://ireporterstv....-take-on-imams/

Edited by odas, 24 December 2012 - 04:19 PM.

#14    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,100 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Fine then, I want that imam to return my Christmas present.

#15    socrates.junior

socrates.junior

Geomathematician

• 1,906 posts

• Not my fault. -Me

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

Aaaand just like that, the point was lost in a cloud of pseudo-intellectualism. Yes, Jesus was not born on December 25th. Congratulations on being the only person in the world to give a care.

A geologist is a fault-finder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users