Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Father Christmas off air in Uzbekistan

grandfather frost snow maiden father christmas uzbekistan uzbek

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,951 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

Television viewers in Uzbekistan looking for the familiar features of Father Christmas on their screens this year will be disappointed following an unofficial ban by the state broadcaster.

It is the latest move to downgrade Soviet or Russian heritage in modern Uzbek culture.

Celebrating Christmas characters became popular when largely Muslim Central Asia was a part of the Soviet Union.

It is not clear who gave the order, but Father Christmas (known locally as Grandfather Frost) and his female companion Snow Maiden, once regular fixtures, are now apparently unwelcome foreigners.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/20701831

Posted Image

#2    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 10,629 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Another grand example of religious fascism.  What a bunch of grumps, put them down for some coal.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#3    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,193 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

"Downgrade Soviet or Russian heritage"? More like...."Downgrade Christian heritage"

The 'Religion of Peace' is on the move again.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#4    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,765 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

So Grandfather Frost is hanging out with a young snow maiden?...  Cheeky ol' geezer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users