Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Kids

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

Whats wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

My  friends kid got a hamster for christmas, a day later his mom walked into the room and finds her kid standing over the hamster and it dead.  The kid has tears in his eyes and tells her he didnt know he couldnt squeeze it that hard.  He wants to know if he can get another one, but my friend is worried because she thinks he did know what he was doing and killed it on purpose. My question is should she be worried or should she believe the kid when he tells her it was just a mistake?

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#2    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

I wouldn't put a living animal in a situation where you don't know if it'll end up live or dead, especially a pet.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#3    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,772 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

How old is the kid? It's kind of hard to say whether or not she should be worried without knowing the kid. They are pretty tiny and fragile. My sister in law bought a hamster for my son when he was three. He was only allowed to play with it while supervised.  But if your friend feels like he did know what he was doing, then personally I wouldn't get him another one.

Edited by sarah_444, 27 December 2012 - 06:15 PM.

#4    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,810 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Buy him a Doberman, let's see if he'll squeeze that to death!

Posted Image

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#5    CuriousGreek

CuriousGreek

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• Dang!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

View Postealdwita, on 27 December 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

Buy him a Doberman, let's see if he'll squeeze that to death!

Posted Image
LOL :lol:

View Postsarah_444, on 27 December 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

How old is the kid? It's kind of hard to say whether or not she should be worried without knowing the kid. They are pretty tiny and fragile. My sister in law bought a hamster for my son when he was three. He was only allowed to play with it while supervised.  But if your friend feels like he did know what he was doing, then personally I wouldn't get him another one.
I agree!!

Αν ανάμεσα σ’ όλον τον κόσμο,
νιώθεις πως δεν υπάρχουνε λύσεις,
τότε μόνο δυο μάτια μπορούνε,
να σε κάνουν να θέλεις να ζήσεις.

#6    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

I dunno .Even as a kid,most of us know not to do certain things with animals .
I had mice and fish ,and I never squeezed them or did weird stuff with them ...

Miss me?

#7    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

A lot of small children will not understand how delicate small animals are.   If the parents are not bothering to teach a child how to handle a small pet, then I cannot see why they would ever allow them to have one in the first place?

When I was small I was given a hamster..I was never told anything about them.  After giving the hamster food, I thought it was having trouble swallowing food, so I held it upside down and shook it, pushing it's cheeks to get the food out.. My mother came into my room and caught me doing this, she quickly took the hamster off me then told me that the hamster was storing food in it's cheeks and she went on to explain more about them..  The hamster was perfectly fine afterwards as was I, because from then on, I knew how to handle the little thing much better..   My mother took responsibility for never explaining to me what a hamster does and how to handle one

My point is, if we do not take some time to explain how to care for any animal, then don't expect a small child with no sense to know better ..Not every parent will bother explaining, so many will think it is cute to hand a child a small pet, but forget that the child could be clueless as to how those little pets need care and handling..

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#8    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

The kid is 7 years old, and She had just assumed he would know not to squeeze it to hard.  Now the question is whether he knew that sqeezing it to hard would kill it and was just lying about it bieng a mistake, although he did have tears in his eyes which is throwing me

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#9    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,552 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

Does the kid show other signs of  being a sadistic little monster?

If the hamster was trying to wiggle away, the kid would hold it tighter. Something important could have broken.

I'd have a long talk with my kid, maybe a talk with people at the pet store with him, and get him another hamster. One dead hamster does not a psychotic animal-killer make.

Embrace the impossible.

#10    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:30 AM

View PostPurplos, on 28 December 2012 - 12:24 AM, said:

Does the kid show other signs of  being a sadistic little monster?

If the hamster was trying to wiggle away, the kid would hold it tighter. Something important could have broken.

I'd have a long talk with my kid, maybe a talk with people at the pet store with him, and get him another hamster. One dead hamster does not a psychotic animal-killer make.
Good advice, I dont think shes going to buy him another hamster yet though, because I mean he could have very well known squeezing it would kill it, I dont think the kid is psychotic and only being the age of 7 I dont think he could hide it that well.

#11    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,267 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

View PostHasina, on 27 December 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

I wouldn't put a living animal in a situation where you don't know if it'll end up live or dead, especially a pet.
Guinea pigs are more durable, except when they eat plastic blocks kids drop in their cage. Or feathers. Who knew a guinea pig would eat feathers?

#12    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 3,985 posts

• What need is there of seeing, in the presence of His gratitude?

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:13 AM

Being his age and having tears in his eyes I think says everything. Poor kid now knows he killed his pet. I'd get him another and like others have said, teach him.

#13    Sunny Day

Sunny Day

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 192 posts

• Learn, wonder, smile...

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

This is a hard one without knowing anything further about the child (or mother for that matter).  It may well have been an innocent accident (which I'd lean towards TBH) or the kid got a urge to be almighty powerful creature killer, OR he was experimenting with what the poor thing could tolerate and it went too far - that is a not-so-innocent accident.  Whatever happened, obviously it was a big lesson day.  For the kid and the parent.

Hope something was learnt and the poor thing didn't die in vain.

Next purchase should be a book on caring for hamsters and/or a trip to the library.  Then, and ONLY then, once the books have been read and understood by all parties, should another innocent hamster be purchased (with the kids pocket money).

Who knows?  The kid may grow up to a caring and brilliant vet, always working to save lives to make up for this error?  You never know

#14    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:29 AM

View PostSunny Day, on 28 December 2012 - 05:18 AM, said:

This is a hard one without knowing anything further about the child (or mother for that matter).  It may well have been an innocent accident (which I'd lean towards TBH) or the kid got a urge to be almighty powerful creature killer, OR he was experimenting with what the poor thing could tolerate and it went too far - that is a not-so-innocent accident.  Whatever happened, obviously it was a big lesson day.  For the kid and the parent.

Hope something was learnt and the poor thing didn't die in vain.

Next purchase should be a book on caring for hamsters and/or a trip to the library.  Then, and ONLY then, once the books have been read and understood by all parties, should another innocent hamster be purchased (with the kids pocket money).

Who knows?  The kid may grow up to a caring and brilliant vet, always working to save lives to make up for this error?  You never know
Yeah thats true or he could grow up to be a serial killer, but its kind of hard for me to gauge the situation because I wasnt there at the time this occured, But I have met the kid and he doesnt seem the type to kill a helpless animal. Like i said in an earlier post hes only 7 years old, so even if he was hiding something I dont think he could do it to the degree that would fool his mom on a daily basis.

#15    Sunny Day

Sunny Day

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 192 posts

• Learn, wonder, smile...

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:48 AM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 28 December 2012 - 05:29 AM, said:

Yeah thats true or he could grow up to be a serial killer, but its kind of hard for me to gauge the situation because I wasnt there at the time this occured, But I have met the kid and he doesnt seem the type to kill a helpless animal. Like i said in an earlier post hes only 7 years old, so even if he was hiding something I dont think he could do it to the degree that would fool his mom on a daily basis.

Sure.  That's why a big part of the situation is the mum.  You're right about a kid of 7 not getting much past his mother.  My daughter is 8 and a terrible liar.  You can read her like a book, truly.  I don't think they learn to get really sneaky until 10 or 11.  Also you can usually tell when tears are fake or not and kids can't hide emotions well (unless they have other issues or an inability to feel empathy).  The mum would know her kid best and know whether he was truly sad for killing the critter.

On a side note, it got me thinking about  "Of Mice and Men".  Good book.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users