Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 4 votes

Are humans special?

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#181    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:50 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 18 January 2013 - 02:23 AM, said:

It is not my job to make anyone believe anything. Thats what belief is. A choice.

I have to disagree. If one were free to choose what to believe, than you could choose something you know to be wrong. That's not belief, that's self delusion.

Belief comes from observations and the word of authorities/experts. I think rather that new beliefs and changes in belief come from persuasion rather than deliberate choice.

#182    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 19,349 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:59 AM

View Postredhen, on 18 January 2013 - 05:50 AM, said:

I have to disagree. If one were free to choose what to believe, than you could choose something you know to be wrong. That's not belief, that's self delusion.

Belief comes from observations and the word of authorities/experts. I think rather that new beliefs and changes in belief come from persuasion rather than deliberate choice.
Unless one is free to believe then it is not belief. Belief exists where knowledge does not. It can only logically or rationally be chosen where there is  no evidence or insufficient  evidence to provide certainty.

A person who knows cannot chose to believe or disbelieve, unless they are irrational. The formulation/construction of human belief is a discipline /study in its own right and fascinatiing stuff.

What we chose to believe will come from our pre-existing world view and how appealing, rational, logical. or emotionally charged, symbolic etc the arguments for belief are. Most people are not aware of the way they formulate belief  and so it is not always a fully informed choice, but nontheless belief and disbelief are always free choices for a human mind.They are constructed in the absence of convincing evidences, but what is a convincing evidence for one human mind may not be a convincing evidence for another; hence we have people legitimately still believing in creation.

Humans begin the  process of creating beliefs from birth. By nine months they can identify agents and non agents and discrimiante between them. Agents are things which can  control the world around them and move by them selves, such as animals and people Non agents cannot. Because of our evolved social nature, humans from birth pay particularr attention to agents in their lives and much less to non agents.

Babies understand that agents  act to attain goals and that agents do not need to be visible to function. Thus babies begin to develop the concepet of agents which exist but cannot be seen and which consciously alter the babies environment. And so the belief in gods is born.

From these observations and deductions young children create beliefs about why and how their world operates Adults are conditioned by this process into a simlar construction of beliefs Children are alos particulalry receptive to explantions which invoke design or purpose Thus chidren under 10 tend to embrace creationist explanations of living things over evolutionary ones, even where their parents and teachers have been teaching them evolution.(cognitive psychology vol42 p217 ) Further experiments with adults show that we do not simply grow out of this  attraction,  but that it must be forcibly "tamped down" through formal education/indoctrination in alternative thinking patterns.

Edited by Mr Walker, 18 January 2013 - 06:15 AM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#183    coolguy

coolguy

Poltergeist

• 2,394 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

us humans are just a higher form of animal or what ever you wanna call us

#184    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,573 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 18 January 2013 - 05:31 AM, said:

If they could talk then they would have also been "created" in gods image and could correctly say so. God is, after all, quite a talker.
Strange then that he hasn't said a word.

#185    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 28,287 posts

• Paranoid Android... *whaa--*

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

View PostSean93, on 18 January 2013 - 01:45 AM, said:

And I envy them...

What is this fact based off by the way?
Obviously I can't answer for the person who sparked this comment but I'm pretty sure you already know what answer will be given.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#186    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 19,349 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 18 January 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

Strange then that he hasn't said a word.
Well perhaps he hasn't spoken to you,  but that means nothing in the overall scheme of things.  God has been speaking to humans since cromagnon times, and humans have been responding to his voice.

Pagans, celts, mongols, aztecs, mayans and babylonians, egyptians, romans, greeks, norse, slavs, chinese, japanese, and on and on. Australian aboriginal people, south pacific islanders . In fact I dont think there is a single race or culture which does not have a history of people conversing with "god," and taking advice from "him." That makes you unusual in human history. :innocent:

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#187    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,573 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 18 January 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

Well perhaps he hasn't spoken to you,  but that means nothing in the overall scheme of things.  God has been speaking to humans since cromagnon times, and humans have been responding to his voice.
And people have seen a leprechaun in a tree.
Anecdotal BS.

Pagans, celts, mongols, aztecs, mayans and babylonians, egyptians, romans, greeks, norse, slavs, chinese, japanese, and on and on. Australian aboriginal people, south pacific islanders . In fact I dont think there is a single race or culture which does not have a history of people conversing with "god," and taking advice from "him." That makes you unusual in human history. :innocent:
You mean mythology, history is secular. There exists no historical accounts of speaking with god.

Edited by Rlyeh, 18 January 2013 - 09:49 AM.

#188    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 19,349 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 18 January 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

And people have seen a leprechaun in a tree.
Anecdotal BS.

You mean mythology, history is secular. There exists no historical accounts of speaking with god.

Dont be silly. History is simply written accounts.  it includes diaries letters opinions newspaer articles etc and yes even accounts of people talking with god  History is also what can be worked out from many evidences before writing was invented.

There are many accounts of people speaking with god in history. Think joan of arc. Think gilgamesh and other sumerian records. They are historical records. So are the early fragments of jewish writing including the dead sea scrolls and even the first accounts by christians like paul. Just because you dont want to believe them doesnt mean they are not historical records. They are as historical as the  original copies of the american declaration of indpendence and say as much about humans of the time as that does.
I cant speak for leprechauns but there are milions of humans who have spoken with god and had a reply.

How do i know this? simple extrapolation About 80 % of the curent worlds population believe in some form of divine spirit or god. In the past it was closer to 100%

About half of religious peole believe they have had personal contact with an angel. It would be incredible then, that out of the worlds population over the years, billions had NOT conversed with a god they believed in; from norse through roman greek to gaean or pagan. It is built into our psychology and self aware sapience to do s,o and we have to be specifically taught not to.

And history is definitely NOT secular. That is a prejudice on your part. Religion is a huge part of humanity and thus of human history. One can't understand human history without taking into account human nature and religious beliefs. Again, think joan of arc. An historical figure who changed history And her belief that she conversed with god was the entire motivation for her part in history. Think whole civilizations whose history was written via their religious beliefs. The pyramids would not exist without religion. Neither would stone henge, or  huge amounts of art music and literature.

Even when i write on this forum my accounts of conversing with god they become a part of humanity's historical record. Just like anne frank's diary, they become available to future historians.

Edited by Mr Walker, 18 January 2013 - 10:19 AM.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#189    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 18 January 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

It'd Interesting if this were true, of course I can't shake the feeling of 'where did it all go wrong?' as in how many individual messages does god need? and does 'it' or better yet 'they' even value religion because if it is as you say; god has given everyone very different information to all of these historical people and has made such information rife with conflict due to some of their claims of being  the only way to god - either the human mind convoluted the message with an agenda, or god is changing it's mind and can't decide on the best mythology to back up his/her existence and to guide human moral values.  

Perhaps god intended for different religions for the understanding of individual societies through time but it makes passages like "the only way to the father is through me" and others like this defunct automatically, and it also tarnishes the first commandment - I mention this only because you're a Christian so I'm speaking on your terms - because "You shall have no other gods before me" is very important because if you follow commandment 1, you'll have no problem following the other 9...conflict arises.

Unless of course god has no problem with one choosing a faith that best suits them in which case people should not be horribly ridiculed and alienated for their faith and even grimmer; that a of ill-conceived acts of violence could have been averted.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#190    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 18 January 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

Obviously I can't answer for the person who sparked this comment but I'm pretty sure you already know what answer will be given.

You never know what someone will say next but this person called it 'fact' and if so, they must have a strong answer to give.

Bill Hicks once said "All I want is the truth in life, is that so much to ask?". You never know who will come into your life one day and hit you with a truth that changes you forever and I'm looking for that truth, I just don't know what it is yet.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#191    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 19,349 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

View PostSean93, on 18 January 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

It'd Interesting if this were true, of course I can't shake the feeling of 'where did it all go wrong?' as in how many individual messages does god need? and does 'it' or better yet 'they' even value religion because if it is as you say; god has given everyone very different information to all of these historical people and has made such information rife with conflict due to some of their claims of being  the only way to god - either the human mind convoluted the message with an agenda, or god is changing it's mind and can't decide on the best mythology to back up his/her existence and to guide human moral values.  

Perhaps god intended for different religions for the understanding of individual societies through time but it makes passages like "the only way to the father is through me" and others like this defunct automatically, and it also tarnishes the first commandment - I mention this only because you're a Christian so I'm speaking on your terms - because "You shall have no other gods before me" is very important because if you follow commandment 1, you'll have no problem following the other 9...conflict arises.

Unless of course god has no problem with one choosing a faith that best suits them in which case people should not be horribly ridiculed and alienated for their faith and even grimmer; that a of ill-conceived acts of violence could have been averted.

I am a christian by adult cultural choice. I could as easily have been a pagan or a gean or anything else. In my opinion, based on experience, there is only one god, the cosmic consciousness. I might be wrong, it might be part of a whole family or race but it doesnt seem that way. and i am pretty certain that one individual has a franchise on earth .

If i am wrong it doesnt matter because, in practice, a relationship with god only exists at a personal and individual level. No religions, no preachers, no books, are required just you and god.

All the other stuff can help or hinder a person but it isnt necessary God exists within us and we exist within god. Thus communication is easy, simple, clear and effective, once it is established. God offers many things in common to all humanity The ability to never fear grow angry jealous envious lonely  afraid etc., but also individuall things to individuals mentoring empowerment skills talents energy life protection .

In return, basically, god just asks you to listen and to learn, to grow and become the most you can become. To understand without prejudice or bias ypur self others god and the local universe God teaches that material things are necesary for life but not important comared to things like the human spirit compassion love understanding etc. That if we develop wisdom and spirituality to match out technology, we will survive, evolve and spread throughout the universe; but we couldl just as easily destroy ourselves or limit oursleves to isolation and extinction on this one tiny planet without that wisdom and spirituality.

I could go on but you get the idea. I have no other god but god. I dont worship power or money or good looks or sucess or how people feel about me or any physical thing.

But god is universal As long as your relationship is with this one universal god and not a false construct of god  it doesnt matter if you call god allah, or jehovah, or gaea. ANd you will know if you are connected to god. There is no way of not knowing.

You dont have to go to church, pay tithes et.c., although you can do so for many good reasons. You just have to live in the presence of god , acknowledge this in your heart and mind, and act on this understanding, ALWAYS, because how else can you act withtis knowledge. Act, and even think , as if god is within you, and all around you, because you know he is. So dont lie, steal, cheat on your partner in thought or deed. Dont hate fear or disrespect others because they are you, and they also are a part of god  . And so on. Easy to say and easy to do, IF you truly acknolwedge and recognise god in you and all about you.

Do be a good steward, do use your talents, do be all you can be, do help others and share what you can with them. Dont damage the world or hurt others by using more than you need. Do love, respect and show compassion for every other human, from your wife (or parents), to your neighbour, to a starving child in mali. Never hurt another intentionally or by carelessness without very good reason. Accept responsibilty for all your thoughts and deeds.

And then, when you have eliminated destructive feelings and enahnced your creative ones, act on your feelings in every way you can. Then you will live life fully, with hever a regret, and your life wil be one of peace, power, love, joy and  fulfilment. You will be loved respected, and love and respect yourself . .

Edited by Mr Walker, 18 January 2013 - 11:08 AM.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#192    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,340 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Guess what, I came home last night after a long trip.  I was standing at the sink washing up a few dishes the cat comes up touches my leg. Look down and said just let me finish. When I was done I turned to go sit down and my leg have out. She then came up and gave me a look of stupid human, I told you.  OK Walker, in your infinite wisdom what is going on in this cat's little brain the motivates her to do this. Not how, but why.  There is more going on there than instinct,

We are not special, just different.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#193    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,573 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

View PostMr Walker, on 18 January 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

Dont be silly. History is simply written accounts.
No, history is the study of past events. As a teacher you should know this.
http://cliopolitical...ethod-what.html

it includes diaries letters opinions newspaer articles etc and yes even accounts of people talking with god  History is also what can be worked out from many evidences before writing was invented.
Letters themselves may be historical but the contents may or may not be of actual events.
Equivocation is a fallacy.

As to the rest of your post, clearly differentiating between beliefs and actual events seems to be a big problem for you.
BTW the word secular doesn't mean anti-religion.

Edited by Rlyeh, 18 January 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#194    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

View Postcoolguy, on 18 January 2013 - 06:12 AM, said:

us humans are just a higher form of animal or what ever you wanna call us

We are a higher form, that will sink to it's lowest..and ironically claim   " We are sooooooo special "

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#195    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 19,349 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:05 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 18 January 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

No, history is the study of past events. As a teacher you should know this.
http://cliopolitical...ethod-what.html

Letters themselves may be historical but the contents may or may not be of actual events.
Equivocation is a fallacy.

As to the rest of your post, clearly differentiating between beliefs and actual events seems to be a big problem for you.
BTW the word secular doesn't mean anti-religion.

Did you actually read the whole article you quoted? Now, who determines whether joan of arc's visions were real events or not ho decides if they were real encounters with god? Who determines if paul's conversionary experience is an actual event.

History is two things. The past as it was, And the past as it is written and recorded.  The latter is very often far different from the former, but the former is  the true  and real history.

A good historian seeks the former, but often is limited in their studies by the nature of the latter. The historians job is to piece together as best they can ALL the available evidences and use contextualization corroboration and manyy quite sophisticated skills learned on the job from psychology, sociology, linguistics  and other disciplines, to decide what is the actual physical history of a time

The article you quoted explained how  the second form of history has evolved and the different philosphical  views which influenced how people/historians interpreted the actual events of the past.  So, MY encounters with gods and angels are actual events. They are alos a part of our past. Thus they are history.

What an historian makes of them and my writings about them, will depend on their individual world view and their cultural millieu/philosophical inclination at the time they are studying them. History is not just an academic study like maths It is the study of actual events  which are our history as maths is the study of conceptual ideas. Maths must be proven to put in a text book History is almost never proven, before it is put in a text book, because it is almost universal that not all the facts and intricacies of an event are or can be known.

You can bet japanese history books of the second world war are very different to chinese or american ones, yet they were written by professional historians.

You can bet that the great  modern histories of greek and rome and the british empire, left more out of the actual history than they included, and got a lot wrong. It is not as simple as "the victors write the history" but all academic and recorded history is written by humans from within their individual world views and from within the greater cultural understandings of their time.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users