Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Experiment to help turtles has eerie result


  • Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

*
POPULAR

http://news.yahoo.co...-182457207.html

A senior at an agricultural college ,did an experiment to help turtles ,and made a shocking discovery .

Box turtles are in decline,.They frequently die while trying to cross roads traveled by cars.
The student took a rubber turtle ,and placed it in the road ,to see if he could come to a conclusion ,about a way to help them survive this behavior .

What he discovered ,is that people swerved ,to purposely hit the turtle .
In an hour,at least seven cars purposely hit the turtle,while others tried to hit it ,but missed .

The conclusions were that humans just prove they are superior .... ????

My conclusion ,as always ,is PEOPLE SUCK . Just this girl's opinion .

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 28 December 2012 - 11:35 AM.

Miss me?

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

    SCIENCE!

  • Member
  • 10,498 posts
  • Joined:08 Nov 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Queensland, Australia.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

ohh, how better off the pkace would be if we DID have that Mayan Apocalypse..

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    Hasina

Hasina

    Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

  • Member
  • 3,048 posts
  • Joined:28 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Female

  • JINKIES

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

A dissapointing finding but not all that surprising to be honest.

Posted Image

~MEH~


#4    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

    Alien Abducter

  • Closed
  • 4,720 posts
  • Joined:25 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Male

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

Wow...

Whenever I see roadkill, I wonder how people could have hit the animal unless they purposely hit it.

I didn't think anyone would purposely hit an animal with their car, but I suppose you can never be too sure when it comes to people.


#5    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

    Bio-Electric sentient being.

  • Member
  • 9,716 posts
  • Joined:23 Jun 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Hurricane State

  • May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

Sick, people can be so sick.  If I can I stop and help them cross. Now I'll make sure I stop.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#6    libstaK

libstaK

    Nosce Te Ipsum

  • 6,797 posts
  • Joined:06 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Melbourne, Australia

  • Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

I got very upset one night when I wasn't paying attention and I ran over a dead cat, yep it was already lying dead on the road but I went over it with my tyres and heard the crunch of bones, it was the most awful moment and took me weeks to get over - just knowing I had been so careless.  The poor owner would have had to retrieve a cat hit multiple times because of me, that's how I felt.

I simply cannot fathom how someone could swerve to kill an animal for the pleasure of taking aim.  I feel sick that so many did that, it should be abherrant behaviour not common. :cry:

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#7    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 28 December 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

Sick, people can be so sick.  If I can I stop and help them cross. Now I'll make sure I stop.

Ask me about the red tailed hawk some time,as I almost put it in my car,but was afraid it would flap and injure me while I drove
Animal care and control ,spoke to me like I was a,moron .....I got it rescued though .

Miss me?

#8    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 28 December 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

I got very upset one night when I wasn't paying attention and I ran over a dead cat, yep it was already lying dead on the road but I went over it with my tyres and heard the crunch of bones, it was the most awful moment and took me weeks to get over - just knowing I had been so careless.  The poor owner would have had to retrieve a cat hit multiple times because of me, that's how I felt.

I simply cannot fathom how someone could swerve to kill an animal for the pleasure of taking aim.  I feel sick that so many did that, it should be abherrant behaviour not common. :cry:
There was some sort of study ,where the conclusion was,people had horrible car accidents ,trying to avoid hitting a dog or cat .
Consensus was,hit the animal ,you will survive then .

I personally wouldn't be able to live with myself  ,if I hit an animal .
I once had a dove fly into my windshield .
I heard its little head..thud.
I pulled over and looked for it .It flew off,but it still gnaws at me ,I probably mortally wounded it ,and then couldn't help it ....
*hangs head*


Miss me?

#9    Timonthy

Timonthy

    Placid

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Joined:30 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Melbourne, Aust.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 28 December 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

There was some sort of study ,where the conclusion was,people had horrible car accidents ,trying to avoid hitting a dog or cat .
Consensus was,hit the animal ,you will survive then .

I personally wouldn't be able to live with myself  ,if I hit an animal .
I once had a dove fly into my windshield .
I heard its little head..thud.
I pulled over and looked for it .It flew off,but it still gnaws at me ,I probably mortally wounded it ,and then couldn't help it ....
*hangs head*
Yep it's very dangerous when people drive erratically to try and avoid hitting animals.

Unfortunate but practical that people don't change their course unless they are not going to affect anyone else around them.

Posted Image


#10    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

    Bio-Electric sentient being.

  • Member
  • 9,716 posts
  • Joined:23 Jun 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Hurricane State

  • May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

I have hit animals, but never on purpose. I just don't understand people who can do these things. I know a way one could fix  someone for doing it to a turtle. Hit them in the wallet were it hurts.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#11    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

    jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

  • Member
  • 3,609 posts
  • Joined:27 May 2011
  • Location:Currently entering

  • It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

In Texas if you hit a deer, a common occurrence in some areas when you are just going on about your business, you can keep it if you call the game warden. Thus at least it would have served a purpose.

If you see a turtle on the road then simply put it in your trunk and take it to the creek. Use gloves and appropriate measures.

Edited by I believe you, 28 December 2012 - 03:41 PM.


#12    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

    Bio-Electric sentient being.

  • Member
  • 9,716 posts
  • Joined:23 Jun 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Hurricane State

  • May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

I hit a deer one time and it wrecked my classic car I was trying to sell (it was drive able). The deer was alive but needed to be put down. A guy came along who had a gun and took care of it.  He took the deer, but later he gave me some of the meat.   Some turtles are tortoises and live on land.

Edited by Darkwind, 28 December 2012 - 05:22 PM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#13    Timonthy

Timonthy

    Placid

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Joined:30 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Melbourne, Aust.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 28 December 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

I hit a deer one time and it wrecked my classic car I was trying to sell (it was drive able). The deer was alive but needed to be put down. A guy came along who had a gun and took care of it.  He took the deer, but later he gave me some of the meat.   Some turtles are tortoises and live on land.
Lol cool story bro.

Thanks for the trivia too, however tortoises are land dwelling with elephant-like feet while turtles live in water and have webbed paddle-like feet. Sometimes turtles may temporarily venture onto land and tortoises into water, just like us humans going for a swim or a seal laying on the shore.

I hope you had insurance?

Posted Image


#14    Sean93

Sean93

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Joined:24 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ireland

  • WRATH

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 28 December 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

http://news.yahoo.co...-182457207.html

A senior at an agricultural college ,did an experiment to help turtles ,and made a shocking discovery .

Box turtles are in decline,.They frequently die while trying to cross roads traveled by cars.
The student took a rubber turtle ,and placed it in the road ,to see if he could come to a conclusion ,about a way to help them survive this behavior .

What he discovered ,is that people swerved ,to purposely hit the turtle .
In an hour,at least seven cars purposely hit the turtle,while others tried to hit it ,but missed .

The conclusions were that humans just prove they are superior .... ????

My conclusion ,as always ,is PEOPLE SUCK . Just this girl's opinion .

Posted Image

House Agree's.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#15    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

    jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

  • Member
  • 3,609 posts
  • Joined:27 May 2011
  • Location:Currently entering

  • It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 28 December 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

I hit a deer one time and it wrecked my classic car I was trying to sell (it was drive able). The deer was alive but needed to be put down. A guy came along who had a gun and took care of it.  He took the deer, but later he gave me some of the meat.   Some turtles are tortoises and live on land.

Good point. We have none of those here. It was a box turtle, they live on land but always near a river or some other body of water.

Edited by I believe you, 28 December 2012 - 06:10 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users