Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Advertising links in the status messages?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,149 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

I just clicked to view someone's new status message and one word in his update and one word in the only response were both linked to some commercial advertisement. Is this a  new thing to generate money for the site or am I just snorting too much coke again still asleep?

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#2    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

We haven't implemented any new advertisements and there shouldn't be anything like that in the status updates.

Which status was it, was it only that one or is it on others as well ?

#3    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,126 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

Sounds like spam to me.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#4    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

I think it's some kind of cookie or download that happens. My desktop at home gets those link things all the time.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#5    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

View PostHasina, on 28 December 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

I think it's some kind of cookie or download that happens. My desktop at home gets those link things all the time.
I'm getting it all the time on the "tablet" version of the site.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#6    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,126 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

Who are the people posting these Status messages? If they've signed up just this minute and the first thing they post is an ad for something, I think Spam would be a reasonable assumption.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,979 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

I've never noticed anything like that.  If you do come across this how do you report it.  PM a mod.

#8    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,216 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

View PostHilander, on 28 December 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

I've never noticed anything like that.  If you do come across this how do you report it.  PM a mod.

Click on that persons name (above their status update), that will take you to their profile page. In the bottom right hand corner of that page (just above the "rules" and "Cookie Information") is a link marked "Report This Member." Click on that and tell us what the problem is and we will do our best to resolve the problem.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#9    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,149 posts

Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

I only saw it in that one member's status message and in that one response. Both individuals involved are members in good standing. It wasn't a copy and pasted link but one word in each of their responses which had been turned into a clickable/mouseover link.

Saru, I don't know if you can report the banners which appear on this site, but twice today  my mouse as slid over one of the banners (it's not showing for me right now or I would get a screen shot) and a new website popped up on a new tab. The site is for what appears to be an online game called Wings of Destiny. I can give you the URL in PM if you'd like.

Note: I'm really thinking it's the banner advertisements. There is one right now that is some kind of game and it's making my arrow blink and go crazy. I also noticed that the words 'technical support' in the description of this topic were made into a link when I first signed in a moment ago, but now they look normal. I'll get as many screen shots as I can, Saru.

Edited by Lady Kasey, 28 December 2012 - 08:30 PM.

#10    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

I've had a look at the screen-shots you sent me, these adverts are nothing to do with UM and aren't being generated by the site.

At this point it looks most likely that you have a virus/malware on your computer, I've sent you a link to a free anti-virus application that should be able to pick up and remove any nasties you might have installed on your machine.

#11    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,149 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

I downloaded and ran the Ad-aware and it caught two things. I restarted and checked. The links are still there. I also removed one program that I had on here that I thought might be causing problems. Restarted again. And the links are still there. So I dunno what to do now.

#12    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

Have you tried accessing the forums using a different browser or a different computer/device to see if the links are still there ?

#13    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,149 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

I tried my iPad in the wee hours of the morning. All looks fine there. I should also point out that whenever I access this forum here on my laptop, I have to sign in each time. I don't remain signed in as I do at work. Before signing in this morning I noticed that the links are not there.

#14    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

Is it your home laptop or your work computer that the links show up on ?

#15    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,149 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

My laptop here at home. I guess I'll just visit the site only at work from now on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users