Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

"In atheists we distrust"

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#106    scowl

scowl

Photographic Phraud

• 3,476 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:29 AM

View PostBluefinger, on 04 January 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

When people address the social aspect of education and religion, they are rarely referring to rural areas.

I took a year of sociology and we often referred to social problems in rural areas.

Rarely do we hear of impoverished rural families.  Uneducated, maybe.  But the education they receive is sufficient for their society.

What is "their" society? I have friends who live in rural areas and they seem to be members of American society -- they watch the same TV shows. And is this the first you've heard of impoverished rural families? Poverty is actually worst in American rural areas where there is little employment.

People in urban areas have the problem of dense populations consuming more resources than they can provide.

Good news. Cities solved that problem centuries ago.

So I think my point still stands.  The issue we have is that political corruption causes poverty among those they betray and poverty often leads to widespread crime.

If you take some classes in criminology you'll find that the number one cause of crime in the United States is drug addiction. I don't believe that's directly caused by "political corruption" unless you believe that politicians are purposely flooding our country with illicit drugs.

You might want to read Flavius Josephus' works The Antiquities of the Jews and The Wars of the Jews.  Judea was a sovereign nation until about 37 BC, when its last king was usurped by an Idumean named Herod and was handed over to imprisonment.

Oh that's right. For a few years between Babylonian rule and Roman rule, Judea was independent. The book I refer to is  A Survey of Israel's History which I haven't read in years and I've probably forgotten at least half of it.

#107    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 29 December 2012 - 02:12 AM, said:

What about a fundamentalist atheist?  I see the general point in what you're trying to say, but fundies exist in every group, even atheists.

Just my thoughts,

~ Regards,

And what the heck is a "fundamentalist atheist"? Are you again trying to create a false equivalency?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#108    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,123 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:23 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 06 February 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:

And what the heck is a "fundamentalist atheist"? Are you again trying to create a false equivalency?
A fundamentalist atheist is an atheist who has taken their views to the extreme, to the point that they are rabidly pro-atheist, anti-religionist, and want the world to bend to their wishes.  Two examples from people I have met in my own life may help explain what I mean:

Example 1 - about six months ago, I met a man who stated that his life goal was to *and I quote* - "rid the world of all religions and religious people".  He had no desire to live and let live, he felt he was intellectually superior to religious people.  He was a massive Christopher Hitchens fan (being a fan of Hitchens doesn't necessarily mean you are a fundamentalist atheist, just so we're clear on that) and said that if you read Hitchens' writings and still believed in God then you were either lying to yourself or just too dumb to understand him.

Example 2  - about two years ago, one of my work colleagues at a school I was teaching at asked me one day if I was religious (it was quite out of the blue, I had never mentioned God or my beliefs).  I said that he would probably describe me as "religious", being that I go to church and such.  He laughed and asked me if I believed the world was made six thousand years ago.  I said no, I'm happy to believe in evolution, and that God was simply the agent that started evolution.  He then went on to tell me that it was his sincere belief that I was either brainwashed or was suffering a mental illness.  Just like that, two options - brainwashed, or suffering mental illness.  Because I believe in God and go to church.

This is what I mean by a "fundamental atheist".  They hold themselves superior to everyone else, think of religious people as drooling zombies, and have committed themselves to campaigning to destroy religion by any means possible.  I'm glad these two examples don't represent the majority of atheists, just as I'm glad an extremist Christian doesn't represent the majority of Christianity.

~ Regards, PA

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#109    David Henson

David Henson

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 126 posts

• "Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

A very interesting article and to me, a surprising one. I would think it to be the opposite, with the religious being considered untrustworthy, even if the religious were the majority. Its all about xenophobia I suppose.

The article mentions intolerance, and my own personal experience has been that atheists can be very intolerant, but I have a feeling their aggression directed at me has been a result of the formerly religious as well as a social and political sort of frustration.

I would trust an atheist just as well as a believer.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users