Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Hitchhiker leaps to safety from moving van

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,099 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 31 December 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

You know, you're right. I was thinking here is a hitchhiker who goes to the cops and says the guy who gave her a lift was being creepy. Suddenly there's news story, a public alert about this guy and resourcees are dedicated to it? All because he made her uncomfortable? I hate when stories are this vague. He refused to pull over, gasp, alert the public.

Actually, when a passenger asks to "pull over and let me out" and the driver does not, that's illegal confinement.

And, to make matters potentially worse, if the two did not previously know each other, and the driver refuses to let the passenger out at any time, that could be legally construed as kidnapping.

Of course, in this case we're talking about only one person's word against another without witnesses to anything truly wrong. For all anyone knows, she could have been messed-up on drugs, paranoid, etc.

If the police ever do find the driver, they have a right and obligation to question him, but certainly not to arrest him unless he say's something incriminating.

I'm no lawyer(yuck if I ever was!) but just stating my gut-feelings on this case.

#17    glorybebe

glorybebe

Omnipotent Entity

• 8,933 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:09 AM

View Postpallidin, on 31 December 2012 - 08:05 PM, said:

Actually, when a passenger asks to "pull over and let me out" and the driver does not, that's illegal confinement.

And, to make matters potentially worse, if the two did not previously know each other, and the driver refuses to let the passenger out at any time, that could be legally construed as kidnapping.

Of course, in this case we're talking about only one person's word against another without witnesses to anything truly wrong. For all anyone knows, she could have been messed-up on drugs, paranoid, etc.

If the police ever do find the driver, they have a right and obligation to question him, but certainly not to arrest him unless he say's something incriminating.

I'm no lawyer(yuck if I ever was!) but just stating my gut-feelings on this case.
Yes, totally agree with that.  The other part, if there hadn't been so many deaths in that area then maybe she wouldn't have reacted that way.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#18    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

meh I still hitchhike when I get bored, you meet a lot of interesting people. Seems kind of silly running to the cops though after you willingly got in to somebody's car for being creepy. I'd be a little wary and cautious(which may come off as creepy)as well if I was being nice and picking somebody off the side of the road. Isn't stopping on a bridge a stupid thing to do anyway since you could potentially block it off and cause a disturbance to traffic? (Hell I know for a fact it's a law that you can't here)

#19    glorybebe

glorybebe

Omnipotent Entity

• 8,933 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

View PostJinxdom, on 01 January 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

meh I still hitchhike when I get bored, you meet a lot of interesting people. Seems kind of silly running to the cops though after you willingly got in to somebody's car for being creepy. I'd be a little wary and cautious(which may come off as creepy)as well if I was being nice and picking somebody off the side of the road. Isn't stopping on a bridge a stupid thing to do anyway since you could potentially block it off and cause a disturbance to traffic? (Hell I know for a fact it's a law that you can't here)

OK, MR. Jinxdom...first of all you are a male, in this area http://en.wikipedia....f_Tears_murders there have been many female murders and missing women.  So, yeah, if this woman was picked up and the driver refused to let her out, then she was not over reacting IMO.  There have been two serial killers already attached to this area, and one more that is being investigated.  Maybe if more people were ready to believe or at least take into consideration that there is/was danger rather than poo-poo everything, there would be less missing women and children.  If you look at Robert Pickton  ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pickton, then you would see that so many people just pshawed the accusations.  So many lives would have been saved if people would have taken these women's stories seriously.  Maybe that is exactly why the police have released this story.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users