Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Russia upgrades rocket for US manned missions

npo energomash rd-180 rd-170 nasa

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,218 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

Russia upgrading booster rocket for NASA manned missions

spaceindustrynews.com said:

Russia is modernizing a booster which U.S. space agency NASA would use for manned flights, a Russian rocket engine manufacturer said Wednesday.

“We are adjusting the RD-180 engine for manned missions,” Executive Director of NPO Energomash company Vladimir Solntsev told reporters, adding the adaptation work started in early 2012.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,993 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:03 AM

You know I think this is great considering how we get along in other areas.  I hope it doesn't change and we can keep our political differences out of it.  If we do together we can make great accomplishments in space.  Which I think is important to us both and benefit us equally.

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,218 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

View PostHilander, on 30 December 2012 - 02:03 AM, said:

You know I think this is great considering how we get along in other areas.  I hope it doesn't change and we can keep our political differences out of it.  If we do together we can make great accomplishments in space.  Which I think is important to us both and benefit us equally.

I agree totally with your sentiments and that is certainly the case with the ISS. This needs to be seen in context though, it is not really about international cooperation, this is purely commercial in nature.

When the Atlas rocket was modified to become the Atlas 5 it need more powerful first stage engines. Rather than develop new ones RD-180's were purchased from Russia.

With both Sierra Nevada and Boeing selecting the Atlas 5 is the launcher for their respective vehicles under NASA Commercial Crew Program it makes sense for NPO Energomash to "man rate" the RD-180.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,993 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

I guess its all about the money but considering the cost of developing one of our own it was probably the cheapest way out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users