Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Wooden wells point to first carpenters

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,421 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

LA Times said:

The sophisticated 7,000-year-old structures found near Leipzig, Germany, were built by farmers before Europe had metal tools, archaeologists say.

The people who lived in eastern Germany around 7,000 years ago are thought to have been some of the first farmers. Now, new archaeological evidence suggests they were also surprisingly skilled woodworkers, crafting intricate water wells some two thousand years before metal tools were forged in Europe.

Sophisticated in construction, four wells discovered near Leipzig were built using stone carving implements and wooden mauls and wedges, said Willy Tegel, a researcher at the Institute for Forest Growth at the University of Freiburg in Germany.

"The first farmers were also the first carpenters," Tegel and his colleagues wrote in a study published this week in the journal PLoS One.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,014 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

Cool.  Makes sense,  .. I guess we would have been fairly accomplished wood Choppers  (for fire)  lonnnng before that?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users