Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 3 votes

Rick dyer tent footage, Dead bigfoot.

• Please log in to reply
488 replies to this topic

#271    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:43 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 10 March 2013 - 05:21 AM, said:

I deride Dyer. I do not deride all his followers and never have/will. All hoaxers have their following, no matter what.

I was part of that following for a couple months too, years ago.

It is the members of their following who are just shills, that I dislike.

Those who know he's full of it and his claims are full of it, yet they like to join up in stringing everyone along and stirring up arguments and proselytizing believers for the cause or just for the heck of it.

My dear, everyone one has been duped in the past, mainly because we want things to be true and they simply aren't and there are people who will prey upon our hopes for whatever purpose they have. You came to realize something didn't add up and you broke away from them. The people I have little sympathy for are the ones who now see the truth about him and yet cling to him like like a frightened child clings to it's mother. They have seen the truth and know he's a confirmed multiple liar, hoaxer and all round nut case, but they can't let him go. Reminds me of a cult following really......and if you can believe what's being said, Dyer is doing a lot of expeditions where people pay to have the privilege to go on a wild goose chase with him showing them the way.

I can only hope that they come around much as you did at some point before they themselves become as jaded as Dyer.

#272    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:05 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 10 March 2013 - 05:43 AM, said:

My dear, everyone one has been duped in the past, mainly because we want things to be true and they simply aren't and there are people who will prey upon our hopes for whatever purpose they have. You came to realize something didn't add up and you broke away from them. The people I have little sympathy for are the ones who now see the truth about him and yet cling to him like like a frightened child clings to it's mother. They have seen the truth and know he's a confirmed multiple liar, hoaxer and all round nut case, but they can't let him go. Reminds me of a cult following really......and if you can believe what's being said, Dyer is doing a lot of expeditions where people pay to have the privilege to go on a wild goose chase with him showing them the way.

I can only hope that they come around much as you did at some point before they themselves become as jaded as Dyer.

There seems to be a lot of those in paranormal/cryptid circles. Those who stay and play despite the fray. Not sure what keeps them hanging on.
NW, might shed light on that.

Let's not forget BFRO's multiple yearly expeditions, where people pay "to go on a wild goose chase" when they can't even find a Foot on their teched out TV show.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 10 March 2013 - 06:07 AM.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#273    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 10 March 2013 - 06:05 AM, said:

There seems to be a lot of those in paranormal/cryptid circles. Those who stay and play despite the fray. Not sure what keeps them hanging on.

Let's not forget BFRO's multiple yearly expeditions, where people pay "to go on a wild goose chase" when they can't even find a Foot on their teched out TV show.

Oh, I never meant to imply that they were any better than Dyer, in fact in some ways I think they might be worse. It's just that they are misguided by their own beliefs where as Dyer is simply yanking everyone's chain because he can, and yeah, there is a difference. The BFRO thinks they're on some higher plain and I often get the feeling they're looking down on the rest of us for not having achieved the same level that they have. You know, just a tiny bit Holier than thou and all that. Dyer is simply out to hoax, lie, cheat and generally drop him pants and Moon everyone and invite them to kiss him where the Sun don't shine. Then he gets nailed again, drops off the map for a while then reinvents himself and starts all over again lie the last thing he pulled is no longer something they can remember any more.

The BFRO may not be doing the hoax thing, but they do have a TV show to produce every week. Can you say "conflict" boys and girls?

#274    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

I've said it before many times, imo, some of the BFRO members, even the more vocal ones, do not believe in bigfoot. I firmly believe that.
After x number of years? Etc...

I think some just play a good game too. Cut from the same mold as the more stupid or failed hoaxers.

Money, power, fun, saving face, whatever the reasons.

So, I refuse to say they aren't hoaxers and cut them any slack either.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 10 March 2013 - 07:51 AM.

in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#275    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

Now, in fairness to the BFRO, they haven't as yet resorted to, "We have Daisy in the box" or I have Bigfoot body under wraps, or made claims of having Bigfoot steaks or a body in a freezer. Keep in mind I left their website because they made it very clear that if you were going to post over there you were going to tote their official party line. Salute the BFRO flag and sing the BFRO song at all time and under any conditions......and be able to recite all the dialogue from every "Finding Bigfoot" show verbatim within 24 hrs of airing. I think they did drop the "wear-a-stupid-hat-like-Bobo-does" requirement though, although I do think any females need to have an affinity for flannel shirts like Ranae does...........or that could be flannel undies. I'll need to check on that and get back to you.

#276    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

Smarter, but hoaxers still the same. Reminds me of passive-aggressive behaviors. They make it hard to catch them in a downright lie. Which, imo, is worse, more underhanded and dirty, than the sillier/dumber hoaxers.

"Facts" about bigfoot...blah blah blah
"That was a bigfoot!"
"Yes, you saw a bigfoot!"
Expeditions so you too can have your tent rubbed by a bigfoot, etc
x number of bigfoot reports: checked out and confirmed

Edited by QuiteContrary, 10 March 2013 - 09:48 AM.

#277    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

Well now Missy, you haven't had your tent rubbed until you've had it rubbed by a Bigfoot. Sounds like a selling point to me.

#278    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 10 March 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

Well now Missy, you haven't had your tent rubbed until you've had it rubbed by a Bigfoot. Sounds like a selling point to me.

Apparently so and would explain a lot. :blush:

#279    danbell06

danbell06

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

• BNAG.... < That's Bang out of order!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

Theres quite a lot of people, who like, rick dyer enjoy playing on peoples bigfoot beliefs. The comments section of the BFE Blog is full of them. Laughing at believers.
Dyer is a narcissistic, compulsive liar, whom desires infamy and money and will do whatever it takes to get it.
I'm sure Hitler slots right into the category, aswell.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Posted Image

#280    danbell06

danbell06

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

• BNAG.... < That's Bang out of order!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

If anyone, like I, believed this hoax for even a millisecond. At what point did you stop believing and why?

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Posted Image

#281    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

View Postdanbell06, on 10 March 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

If anyone, like I, believed this hoax for even a millisecond. At what point did you stop believing and why?

Speaking of any body (part) of evidence claim, not just Dyer:
For one, reputations notwithstanding, when "it" never gets to anyone of credible merit in the mainstream scientific community in a reasonably short time frame. It just remains media and I-net fodder (with ever escalating emotions and story changes and excuses up the wazooooo).

Edited by QuiteContrary, 10 March 2013 - 10:41 AM.

#282    Night Walker

Night Walker

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 10 March 2013 - 06:05 AM, said:

I question whether anyone is actually clinging to Dyer like "a frightened child clings to it's mother". Once you admit to hoaxing that part of the game is over - No Bigfoot Cult For You! - hence Bigfoot hoaxing is relatively widespread but admissions of Bigfoot hoaxing are very rare.

What I find interesting about Dyer is that he is now in unchartered territory - we are witnessing if it is possible to still play the Bigfoot game AND be open about hoaxing (at least after the fact). That Dyer is now "outside the rules" of the game is, I suspect, a big part of the sub-cultural loathing with which he is subject. How dare he! (He's a hoaxer, you know!) Will he succeed? After all, his evidence is just the same as anyone else's (fakes and misidentifications), he still has the same two chances of actually finding a giant undocumented hairy bipedal species as anyone else (ie Buckley's and none), and he is the subject of an upcoming Bigfoot documentary. Time will tell so enjoy the human drama...

Aside from the Dyer Bigfoot Project (DBP) you gotta realise just how much fun it all is - perhaps we should start a new thread in order to list and explore the multiple levels of enjoyment and excitement that Bigfoot can and does bring...

Then there is this: Eyewitness to the Paranormal: The Experimental Psychology of the ‘Unexplained’ which is applicable to all us and can form a significant part of the human experience.

Then combine the thrilling social aspects of Bigfoot with the compelling psychological aspects of it and we have one hell of a powerful paranormal (psycho-social) storm! There are other times in our not-too-distant history where similar events caused various communities and cross-sections of society to seemingly "go Bigfoot" (ie wacko) for brief or even extended periods of time - perhaps we should explore those too in order to give ourselves some insights.

Then of course some people are full-on bat-**** crazy (but this is too impolite/insensitive/taboo to explore on an open forum) but there are social benefits for them as well...

Money for Bigfoot is barely an aside. Most people (like myself) lose money on Bigfoot yet it is money well-spent (see future "The Joy of Bigfoot" thread). Yet if you could make money from something you enjoy (and is not illegal) then why not ?!?

Edited by Night Walker, 10 March 2013 - 11:11 AM.

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#283    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostNight Walker, on 10 March 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

I question whether anyone is actually clinging to Dyer like "a frightened child clings to it's mother". Once you admit to hoaxing that part of the game is over - No More Bigfoot Cult For You! -

In addition to the bigger, well-known hoaxes/hoaxers.

I don't know, it seems to me there are frequent and continuous examples on forums, sites, blogs, radio shows, tv shows, etc where high-profile believers and their claims get exposed/scrutinized regularly, yet these claimers still have hangers-on to their every word.

From skeptics and other believers alike, we are barraged with convincing/convicting  evidence and science etc against some claims.

So-and-so's history is revealed, this and that don't add up, where's the evidence?, timelines are off,  etc etc.

For me, the number of confirmed hoaxers go far beyond the likes of Dyer and Wallace, for example.

I don't need an admission. And it still surprises me the hangers-on who need one.

Love the thread title "The Joy of Bigfoot" btw! Looking forward to it.

#284    Night Walker

Night Walker

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 10 March 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

I don't know, it seems to me there are frequent and continuous examples on forums, sites, blogs, radio shows, tv shows, etc where high-profile believers and their claims get exposed/scrutinized regularly, yet these claimers still have hangers-on to their every word.

From skeptics and other believers alike, we are barraged with convincing/convicting  evidence and science etc against some claims.

So-and-so's history is revealed, this and that don't add up, where's the evidence?, timelines are off,  etc etc.

Examples? Perhaps it needs it's own thread. I reckon that in most cases the supporters know full well that they are playing along. Why they do so is another thing...

For me, the number of confirmed hoaxers go far beyond the likes of Dyer and Wallace, for example.

I disagree with your use of the word "confirmed" but, yeah - Bigfoot hoaxing/fantasizing is relatively widespread (ie widespread amongst a relatively small subculture). It took me months to come to grips with the extent and its implications (before that I didn't even want to consider it). Note that Ray Wallace never admitted to hoaxing - his family did so after his death.

A new thread to document examples of admissions of Bigfoot fakery would be interesting... There's Dyer and there's Ed Smith (but does he actually exist?) and then there's... um...

I don't need an admission. And it still surprises me the hangers-on who need one.

No admission of fakery means it could have possibly happened and the paranormal thrives in the realm of possibility. That is part of the "Game".

Love the thread title "The Joy of Bigfoot" btw! Looking forward to it.

I won't be starting any threads (I am quite busy) but am happy to contribute if someone else takes the initiative to look into the possible thread topics (ie beyond the usual "Here is the topic now tell us what you think" kind of approach)...

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#285    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

Speaking for me, there are numerous examples of bigfoot

hoax
noun

trick, joke, fraud, con (informal), deception, spoof (informal), prank, swindle, ruse, practical joke, canard, fast one (informal), imposture His claim to have a bomb was a hoax.

verb

deceive, trick, fool, take in (informal), con (slang), wind up (Brit. slang), kid (informal), bluff, dupe, gull (archaic), delude, swindle, bamboozle (informal), gammon (Brit. informal),hoodwink, take (someone) for a ride (informal), befool, hornswoggle (slang) He recently hoaxed Nelson Mandela by pretending to be Tony Blair.

and I do not need an admission from anyone specific for a hoax to be defined as a hoax. How much trickery in bigfootery has been exposed during infighting among a group?

Wallace's family exposed his fakery. It doesn't matter who Wallace did/did not admit it to, his "found" footprints are still treated as part of  historical fact in the Legend of Bigfoot by some.

For me, there is enough crap out there every day, exposed for what it is on multiple fronts, that an admission by the hoaxer/s is completely unnecessary for one to make an informed decision.

You don't get Chuck (or a specific group) admitting his hoax, but you get plenty of Mary and John exposing what Chuck (or some group) did, because they were there or in the inner circle or know the facts we don't. So I consider that an admission as far as this discussion as to why do people then continue to follow/believe them, join their group, etc.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 10 March 2013 - 01:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users