Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Horror Remakes Discussion

the evil dead remake carrie

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16    RebelInsanity

RebelInsanity

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

• Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:29 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 31 December 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

It's ok. I posted it so you could check it out .The Carrie discussion is on a thread about something else though.I forget which one.
Consensus was ,we aren't too hopeful it will be good.

I would still watch it, but because I want to see what they do with the story, and because a few actors I love are in there.
But other than that, there would be no real reason.
Although, I understand why they did it. After that last Carrie flunk, I'd want to remake it better too.

Leave the door to your mind open, and the world will walk in.

#17    RebelInsanity

RebelInsanity

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

View PostImaLoner, on 31 December 2012 - 07:27 PM, said:

The point of all these remakes is to pull fans of the originals - and the ones who have never seen the originals - in to get more money from them.  Black Christmas was a pretty good remake.  It has its good points.  I didn't like the Nightmare on Elm Street.  I was disturbed by the changes.  To me, only Robert Englund can be Freddie.  I grew up with those movies and watching Freddie's Nightmares.  The Crazies was a pretty good remake, also.  The Hills Have Eyes was not too bad.  Prom Night, I liked, but I still prefer the original.  House of Wax... Well, Jared Padalecki was in it, and that alone made it worth watching (I liked that remake with him in it much better than Friday the 13th, of course).  Now, with Last House on the Left... I liked the original better.  The remake was okay.. I think the original was just grittier and more disturbing to me.  Some scenes in the original, I did have to turn my head, for the sheer brutality of it.  But, overall, the way the storyline progressed was better, imo.

I completely agree. Englund rocks as Freddy.
The only reason why I didn't like the original Last House was the quality. The camera work was okay, but so many things were blurry and hard to see. I understand it was the early 70's, but it looked like crap compared to the other movies in that time. I understand it was probably the budget, and it was Wes' first film, so that's the only reason I enjoyed it. The story was good, and I know what you mean by having to look away in some parts. But have you ever watched something you thought was so cool at first, then several years later you watch it again and you ask yourself why you liked it in the first place?
That was my reaction.
But the one thing that will make me love that original, despite everything I dislike, was the fact that, for publicity, Wes tried to pull it off as an actual snuff film. xD

#18    ImaLoner

ImaLoner

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

View Postlittle.wolf96, on 02 January 2013 - 06:37 AM, said:

I completely agree. Englund rocks as Freddy.
The only reason why I didn't like the original Last House was the quality. The camera work was okay, but so many things were blurry and hard to see. I understand it was the early 70's, but it looked like crap compared to the other movies in that time. I understand it was probably the budget, and it was Wes' first film, so that's the only reason I enjoyed it. The story was good, and I know what you mean by having to look away in some parts. But have you ever watched something you thought was so cool at first, then several years later you watch it again and you ask yourself why you liked it in the first place?
That was my reaction.
But the one thing that will make me love that original, despite everything I dislike, was the fact that, for publicity, Wes tried to pull it off as an actual snuff film. xD

Wes is just a bloody GENIUS!  Side note:  I wonder how different the film Flowers in the Attic would've been had he not been involved.  The book dealt with dark subject matter, sure, but the movie was so much darker.  And the original Last House film.. I think it's the quality that makes it so good to me.. I get what you are saying about watching something later and changing your mind totally about it.

#19    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

Don't try to force your flawed human logic on us!

• 2,462 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

One reason I think they make an abudant amount of remakes is because most people dont want to chance spending a ton of money on something new and original, because It could go either way with the amount of money they would get back.  So I think its safer in there minds to do the tried and true slasher movies everytime because thats something that draws the younger crowds in. I havent seen a remake so far that surpasses the original horror movie, although when I did see the remake of the Last House on The Left, this guy in a couple of seats back from me was laughing his ass off during the graphic murder scenes and he was laughing soooo hard that it made me laugh to.  But as far as remakes I liked I would say Rob Zombies Halloween. Funny thing When he called up Carpentar and told him he was going to remake it, Carpentar said Well have fun with it

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#20    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,173 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

I thought Craven wasn't involved in Flowers in the Attic? His script was rejected and he didn't direct.

#21    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,462 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

View Postrashore, on 02 January 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

I thought Craven wasn't involved in Flowers in the Attic? His script was rejected and he didn't direct.
Yeah Producers were disturbed by his approach to the incest-laden story, however, and Jeffrey Bloom ended up with writing and directing duties.

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#22    ImaLoner

ImaLoner

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

View Postrashore, on 02 January 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

I stand corrected.  :)  It has been years since I've seen it.  Thanks for pointing that out to me. I remembered something about his involvement somewhere along the line... Could be the onset of CRS.  :)

*Edited for spelling error

Edited by ImaLoner, 03 January 2013 - 01:18 AM.

#23    RebelInsanity

RebelInsanity

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

View PostImaLoner, on 02 January 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

Wes is just a bloody GENIUS!  Side note:  I wonder how different the film Flowers in the Attic would've been had he not been involved.  The book dealt with dark subject matter, sure, but the movie was so much darker.  And the original Last House film.. I think it's the quality that makes it so good to me.. I get what you are saying about watching something later and changing your mind totally about it.

Wes is definitely a genius. After I heard that he tried to pull it off as a snuff film, I had so much respect for him. He is definitely one of my favorite directors.

Edited by little.wolf96, 03 January 2013 - 01:39 AM.

#24    RebelInsanity

RebelInsanity

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 02 January 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

One reason I think they make an abudant amount of remakes is because most people dont want to chance spending a ton of money on something new and original, because It could go either way with the amount of money they would get back.  So I think its safer in there minds to do the tried and true slasher movies everytime because thats something that draws the younger crowds in. I havent seen a remake so far that surpasses the original horror movie, although when I did see the remake of the Last House on The Left, this guy in a couple of seats back from me was laughing his ass off during the graphic murder scenes and he was laughing soooo hard that it made me laugh to.  But as far as remakes I liked I would say Rob Zombies Halloween. Funny thing When he called up Carpentar and told him he was going to remake it, Carpentar said Well have fun with it

I love Zombie's revision. Although, I have grown a tad bit tired seeing Sheri Moon as the lead in every single movie of his now.
I think that the only reason why they make remakes is the fear that new material won't catch on, and that older films will be forgotten. So it might be a mix of that, and the fact that they want more of an income.

#25    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,471 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

Rob Z Halloween remakes SUCKED BIGTIME.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#26    RebelInsanity

RebelInsanity

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:27 AM

View PostDBunker, on 03 January 2013 - 02:08 AM, said:

Rob Z Halloween remakes SUCKED BIGTIME.

CORRECTION. They were different. That's why I like them.

#27    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,462 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

View Postlittle.wolf96, on 03 January 2013 - 01:42 AM, said:

I love Zombie's revision. Although, I have grown a tad bit tired seeing Sheri Moon as the lead in every single movie of his now.
I think that the only reason why they make remakes is the fear that new material won't catch on, and that older films will be forgotten. So it might be a mix of that, and the fact that they want more of an income.
LMAO shes the dudes wife he probably feels obligated to cast her in his movies.  I didnt like the Sequal to Rob Zombies halloween though, I mean in the first one he tells Michaels story in more detail then it was mentioned in the previous films, But with the sequal to it I feel like he rushed it and honestly I dont feel a sequal was needed.  But with all slasher movies the killer never really changes that much just his victims do.

#28    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,471 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

View Postlittle.wolf96, on 03 January 2013 - 02:27 AM, said:

CORRECTION. They were different. That's why I like them.

The original Michael Myers was a "ghost" a boogeyman...... RZ ruined that. He turned MM into some roughneck on steroids. Even the classic mask was lost.  All thats left are the names.

Thats why I hate the new ones.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#29    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,462 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

View PostDBunker, on 04 January 2013 - 01:07 AM, said:

The original Michael Myers was a "ghost" a boogeyman...... RZ ruined that. He turned MM into some roughneck on steroids. Even the classic mask was lost.  All thats left are the names.

Thats why I hate the new ones.
I didnt think MM was an actual ghost, I think the only reason he had supernatural powers was because of the curse the people put on him when he was a baby, not sure though

#30    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,471 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:32 AM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 04 January 2013 - 02:26 AM, said:

I didnt think MM was an actual ghost, I think the only reason he had supernatural powers was because of the curse the people put on him when he was a baby, not sure though

Not a ghost "ghost"......  Like John Carpenter described him  - "almost a supernatural force - a force of nature. An evil force that's loose," a force that is "unkillable.

Very far from RZ Myers.

Also tagged with the, evil, dead, remake, carrie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users