Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Do you Support Assad

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Poll: who seek a real freedom for syria ? (26 member(s) have cast votes)

who do you support in syria

1. Assad Party and his allies (5 votes [19.23%])

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

2. Opposition and the free syrian army (12 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

3. Not Decided (9 votes [34.62%])

Percentage of vote: 34.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 13,170 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:15 AM

"Stability" and "security" are the buzz-words of tyrants.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#62    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,766 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

View PostYamato, on 08 January 2013 - 03:15 AM, said:

"Stability" and "security" are the buzz-words of tyrants.
Yeah...can't have any of THAT going on now can we? :w00t:

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#63    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 13,170 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

View Postand then, on 08 January 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

Yeah...can't have any of THAT going on now can we? :w00t:
From King Obama?   No, it's completely unnecessary.

Did the Founders find security to be their first priority?   Did they let instability stop them?   Why should we?   Tyranny always resists these efforts.  Instability is always a threat to its power.  It will always chide and mock revolutionary ideas and attitudes.  It will encourage people to think in ways that would have made the United States impossible to begin with.   Refreshing the liberty tree isn't just a one-shot deal.  It requires maintenance.  Which we can either discuss whether or not that includes blood.  But I'll skip the blood and merely state that it might take some instability.   And global security, one's favorite foreigners' security, national security, social security, and private security might not always be possible either.   I know how troubling liberty lovers are to security experts.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#64    wittyusernamefailed

wittyusernamefailed

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 135 posts

• "Well, this is gonna be a wipe"

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:39 AM

In the interest of understanding this FSA group; are there any large factions that are of a decided humanist/secular bent? I'm just concerned (as i am sure many people int he world are) that is happening in Egypt will happen to Syria when Assad eventually does fall ( that is a heavily radicalized Islamic group all but seizing power) Maybe it's just me but the more someone says Allah ackbar/praise Jesus/ whatever jews say... it makes me uncomfortable. You can usually bet the house that legislated morality is not far behind.

#65    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,766 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

View Postwittyusernamefailed, on 09 January 2013 - 04:39 AM, said:

In the interest of understanding this FSA group; are there any large factions that are of a decided humanist/secular bent? I'm just concerned (as i am sure many people int he world are) that is happening in Egypt will happen to Syria when Assad eventually does fall ( that is a heavily radicalized Islamic group all but seizing power) Maybe it's just me but the more someone says Allah ackbar/praise Jesus/ whatever jews say... it makes me uncomfortable. You can usually bet the house that legislated morality is not far behind.
If so, we seem to be fighting off the tendency admirably in the west.  But I agree that theocracies are a mistake.

“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#66    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

View Postand then, on 09 January 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

But I agree that theocracies are a mistake.

Because we live in that type of civilization.
Look Vatican.
Or perhaps look Ancient Egypt. They lasted very much longer then your state.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#67    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,766 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

View Postthe L, on 09 January 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

Because we live in that type of civilization.
Look Vatican.
Or perhaps look Ancient Egypt. They lasted very much longer then your state.
True, but that doesn't mean they were good places for the human beings who lived there does it?  If the citizens of a country are all of the same faith and WANT to be ruled by leaders who use the laws of the faith to govern then great, no problem.  But I don't remember a single instance where that has been true.  Look how the Afghans first reacted to being free from the Taliban.  Yes, they came to hate US and coalition troops because of mistakes that were made and cultural insults and insensitivity but at first they were OVERJOYED to be rid of the oppressive rule of the mullahs.  The same would be true in a Christian theocracy where extremists ruled - Puritan America is an example.  My point is that men who claim to speak for God and want power for themselves is a very bad combination, IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users