Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

So is that it for 2012 then?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 23 January 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

that's an interesting one. Does he mean that everyone will all be squeezed to death simulatneously on that date?

The theory by von Foerster and his colleagues P.M.Mora and L.W.Amiot proposed a formula representing a best fit to available historical data on world population; they predicted future population growth on the basis of this formula. The formula gave 2.7 billion as the 1960 world population and predicted that population growth would become infinite by Friday, November 13, 2026, said prediction earned it the name "the Doomsday Equation."

The squeezing bit was a tongue-in-cheek joke by Von Foerster, that some people took seriously. The man had a wicked sense of humor it seems.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#32    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 8,336 posts

• I'd rather laugh than argue.

Choose your weapon.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:17 AM

Maybe, "Modern Mysteries, the New Age and Prophecies".

#33    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,784 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

Modern Mysteries, New Age and End Times Predictions?

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#34    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,841 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions, we've decided to go with:

Modern Mysteries, New Age & Prophecies

#35    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

I'm all for the willful ignorance of what an ancient civilization was saying about ages, and those willfully ignorant who want to cling onto its incorrect translation that all will die on an exact date, to just go away. But ironically, all the people here who claim to also want it to go away are the only ones keeping the past sentence alive. If anything, the 2012 at the end of the title would just be redundant to the two words behind it, taken in the context it was meant to be by those who created dates for long count calenders long ago. But some can't make the distinction from glamorous doomsday theories to prophecies of a new age, so I guess we can keep them happy with the new name change.

Edited by _Only, 24 January 2013 - 04:22 PM.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users