Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

pit bulls tear into dogs, girl

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#46    The Unseen

The Unseen

Poltergeist

• 2,774 posts

• Whats out there?

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:58 AM

Now as for the dogs that attacked that poor little girl and her pet, They should be put down,Any dog that attacks a human has to be put down,NO Questions asked,If it were my dogs that did that I would have shot them my self,right quick,fast and in a hurry.Humans before Animals,Unless the Animal is a human.

#47    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,580 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

Do not make this discussion personal. Any more ad hom remarks will not be tolerated.

Now, as to the issue regarding pitbulls. The breed is indeed large and aggressive, but the majority of the problem lies with improper breeding and improper training (if you could even call such abuse "training"). Take a dog that was chosen for anti-social behaviour (often having been encouraged to kill its own kind), beat it, teach it to fight and you have a living breathing weapon. Humans are to blame for this horror.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#48    The Unseen

The Unseen

Poltergeist

• 2,774 posts

• Whats out there?

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

View PostLilly, on 10 January 2013 - 03:00 AM, said:

Do not make this discussion personal. Any more ad hom remarks will not be tolerated.

Now, as to the issue regarding pitbulls. The breed is indeed large and aggressive, but the majority of the problem lies with improper breeding and improper training (if you could even call such abuse "training"). Take a dog that was chosen for anti-social behaviour (often having been encouraged to kill its own kind), beat it, teach it to fight and you have a living breathing weapon. Humans are to blame for this horror.
Now finally someone who understands,Its not the dog,well not the dogs fault ,It Is US as humans that have failed our true comanions,Mans best friends didn't learn how to fight  other dogs or things like that with out a resonsable human.We are to blame for the dogs poor outlook,and here we are trying to blame one another,I SUCK as A human because I have let mans best friend down,that should be the word of the day,thing is how do we change what we have done.

#49    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,580 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Humans are indeed to blame, but that doesn't mean that as a group pitbulls aren't a dangerous breed. Now, listen carefully to this part: Many existing pitbulls have been breed for overly aggressive personalities, trained to kill, and beaten and abused for 'good measure'. Such animals should indeed be put down. Such animals should never, never, never be bred,

I met a woman recently in my local PetSmart who is a pitbull breeder (a real AKC breeder). She and others are attempting to save the breed. Her stud dog had the most wonderful gentle personality. She said that often when she tells random people he's a pitbull they will tell her that she must be "mistaken" as he's so sweet and friendly. She said (and pay attention here) that she would never advise anyone getting "street bred pitbull", it's simply too dangerous.

Dogs are very much what they are bred to be...this fact should always be taken into account.

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#50    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,684 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

View Postjoc, on 05 January 2013 - 03:25 AM, said:

Wait...your wife wasn't okay with pit bulls...but she is okay with rottweilers???   Guess what...she probably won't be okay with a pitbull after your kids are grown either...grand kids you know...

I had a Rottie when I met my wife. She was the sweetest dog ever. Loved everyone and everything. So she didnt have much choice at first. We were a package deal. Honestly I dont see the problem with rotties at all. My experiance has been great. My wife loved my first dog so much that we now own 2. I really dont know why rotties get a bad rap. I guess cause they are big enough to do some real damage. If you raise them as a family member, they will be part of your family.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#51    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,684 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 05 January 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

Pitbulls are breed to kill so unless you are a player in the NFL forget about owning them. The breed sucks ass.

To deffend what they do describes the owner.

Na pit bulls are great dogs. Its like having a high end race car though. If you drive it like you are driving a honda civic, its gonna bite you. People think a loving home is enough. It isnt. A pit bull must have a pack leader, or it will be the pack leader. It could be loving and kind ect ect to your family, but if its the leader it will be the one handling out side threats. Most people shouldnt own them. But just like that race car, if you know what you are doing with the dog, it can be a thing of beauty.

#52    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,580 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

With dogs it's a combination of how they're raised and their genetics. You could be the best owner/trainer on the planet but if you have a dog thats been bred strictly for its killer instinct you'll still have problems. This is the reason why wolves aren't the same as domestic dogs (ie, aren't house pets). There's about 12,000 years of genetic modification that's gone into creating domestic dogs. Genetics/breeding plays a very large role in a dog's behaviour, there's no getting around this reality.

#53    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,684 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

I totaly agree Lilly. Thats why I listened to my wife and didnt get a pit bull while we still have little kids in the home. I personly felt I could control the situation, but if I was wrong, there was just to much to risk.

#54    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,685 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 10 January 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

I had a Rottie when I met my wife. She was the sweetest dog ever. Loved everyone and everything. So she didnt have much choice at first. We were a package deal. Honestly I dont see the problem with rotties at all. My experiance has been great. My wife loved my first dog so much that we now own 2. I really dont know why rotties get a bad rap. I guess cause they are big enough to do some real damage. If you raise them as a family member, they will be part of your family.
Because like Pit Bulls, Dobermans, and a few others...they have a reputation for being an unpredictable breed.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#55    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,684 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

View Postjoc, on 10 January 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

Because like Pit Bulls, Dobermans, and a few others...they have a reputation for being an unpredictable breed.

I think they get a unjust bad rap. Being a rottie owner, Ive met many other rottie owners. They all have had the experiance Ive had. They are great loving protective dogs. Especialy if you get one from a really good breeder.

#56    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,684 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

In fact Id do the pepsi freakin challange with my first Rot, and any other dog on the planet as far as being good natured, loving and loyal.

Edited by preacherman76, 11 January 2013 - 12:01 AM.

#57    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,848 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:41 AM

View PostMyles, on 02 January 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

Sad story. It was the little girls dogs who approached the pit bulls.  
I wouldn't mind seeing all pit bulls put to sleep.   They have a mean streak in them even when trained properly.   They can snap.   I've seen it a few times.   If you have a toddler at home you should not own a pit bull.   It's not safe.
That is what I have heard. I've been in the same neighborhood with familys that had Pit Bulls and THEN had kids. Well, if the parents don't establish that the kids are higher in the Pack then the dogs, the dogs are likely to snap at them. In two insidences little girls were killed quickly effortlessly by pit bulls who were loving and devoted to the adults in the family.

It is not just that these are dangerous animals physically, they are dangerous instinctually. Like was said earlier, lots of dogs bite more, but few dogs have such a high kill per attack ratio.

Plus a large percentage of pit bulls are owned by idiot owners who train them badly or treat them badly. And these dogs then end up in a adoption center where Well-Meaning suburban mothers who believe all the "These are loving gental dogs" propoganda get a highly dangerous dog and bring it home.

People that want pit bulls NEED to raise it themselves and NEED to spend the time to train them properly. They also will NEED to supervise the dog forever in every situation. Almost any other breed this is not necessary, and that is what makes a Pit Bull a "Bad Breed".

Edited by DieChecker, 11 January 2013 - 06:42 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#58    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,685 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 10 January 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

I think they get a unjust bad rap. Being a rottie owner, Ive met many other rottie owners. They all have had the experiance Ive had. They are great loving protective dogs. Especialy if you get one from a really good breeder.
But..there are very real reasons they have such a reputation.
If you click on each of the following three links...only takes a few seconds to look at each one...you will see what I mean.
Rottie Attacks/images
Pitbull Attacks/images
Lab Attacks/images

See the number of children attacked by Pit Bulls?
See the number of anybody attacked by Labs?  That doesn't mean Labs can't be vicious...but they just seldom attack.  They have very powerful jaws...I know...I have a big yellow dog...and she is so sweet...and she is never going to attack anyone viciously.   She might hurt a child, but not on purpose, only because she is so big and quite rambunctious at times.

Edited by joc, 12 January 2013 - 05:51 PM.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#59    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 5,372 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

View Postjoc, on 12 January 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

See the number of children attacked by Pit Bulls?
See the number of anybody attacked by Labs?  That doesn't mean Labs can't be vicious...but they just seldom attack.  

go to any dog run in nyc, you will see 1lab for about 10 pits\rots\dobermans. and look who most of their owners are, the answer is clear, to me at least.

pits\rots\..reputation. remind me of assault weapon b.s.

Edited by aztek, 12 January 2013 - 06:39 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#60    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,580 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Under the right (or should I say 'wrong'?) circumstances any dog can bite. However, the threshold for what sets a dog off varies considerably by breed and by individual. Also, larger/stronger jawed breeds will (obviously) be able to inflict more damage. This is a complex issue involving a dog's breed, genetics, temperment, training level, and situational triggers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users