Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Arctic Storm Batter Shell's Grounded Oil Rig

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Thirty-foot seas and an arctic storm are preventing rescue or salvage of a Royal Dutch Shell oil drilling rig that ran aground in Alaska on New Year's Eve.

The drilling rig, named the Kulluk, has not yet broken apart, but sits precariously just off Sitkalidak Island in the southeast part of the state. Reports indicate that the ship is intact, but worries are heightened that chances of spilling the vessel's 150,000 gallons of diesel fuel and other toxic lubricants increase with each passing hour.

Shell has invested more than $4.5 billion since the mid-2000s in a quest to reignite a controversial Arctic drilling program that it started in the 1980s. But from lawsuits to mishaps like the grounding of its Kulluk drilling ship this week, the Netherlands-based oil giant has seemingly faced one problem -- one more delay -- after another.
The $290-million Kulluk and its tug weren't operating above the Arctic Circle when the problems started late last week. And the Coast Guard's Alaska headquarters at Kodiak are located relatively nearby the grounded Kulluk, making response efforts easier than in the Arctic, where the agency has no base.
What would happen if similar troubles ever occur in the much more remote Arctic Ocean?
http://www.commondre...line/2013/01/02

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,590 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

I read about this, I hope it doesn't spill fuel into the ocean.  I think we have done enough damage there.  I hope they can do something before that happens.  Winter might not be the best time to move a oil rig in that part of the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users