Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

The New Age has begun!

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,644 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

So, I am looking for positive proof that the New Age has indeed begun. Maybe you have been witness to events recently but did not recognize them for being out of the ordinary. A group spontaneously forming to help someone then dissipating just as fast. Anything to do with the collective working in harmony or to help others. Of society getting better, old problems getting fixed, etc,...

Any experiences you have had since the solstice that fit this or anything else you can think of as positive proof the New Age has begun, please add it. I want to believe.

#2    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Nope. Same terrible world as usual.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#3    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,739 posts

• With great power, comes great irresponsibility.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 03 January 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

Nope. Same terrible world as usual.

Slippery slope, higher taxes now, and more to come in 2014.  :)

#4    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

I for one, have felt brilliant since the 1st of this month.

I don't quite think a new age has begun though... I do think my antidepressants have begun to work though, which is a similar effect.

#5    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,463 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostI believe you, on 03 January 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

A group spontaneously forming to help someone then dissipating just as fast.
Is that a predicted feature of a "new age"?  If so, who made that prediction and what was their justification for it?

Has it never happened before that a group has spontaneously formed to help someone and dissipated just as fast and is a unique feature of a "new age"?

This is a big problem with this kind of new age woo.  The predictions can so vague and wishy-washy that just about anything gets touted as evidence, like in the other thread where the Sandy Hook massacre is being pimped as the start of a "spiritual awakening".

I want to believe
If you "want to believe" something enough, you'll start cherry picking evidence and massaging it and reinterpreting things until you get what you want.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

"If people put enough excrement in one pile they think they can safely claim that there must be something other than excrement in a pile that big." - stereologist

#6    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,640 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

What makes you think that a new age will be ushered in overnight? In the blink of an eye? Sometimes monumental events aren't recognised for what they are until they're over and done with.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#7    Ashotep

Ashotep

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,124 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

The only thing I believe is it will be the same ole same ole except we are going to get two comets this year.

#8    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Yes the New Age as Begun and we are all DOOMED and SCREWED higher taxes more government waste. No new jobs more on welfare.

#9    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Things have been better. Things have been worse.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#10    pallidin

pallidin

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,913 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostI believe you, on 03 January 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

So, I am looking for positive proof that the New Age has indeed begun. Maybe you have been witness to events recently but did not recognize them for being out of the ordinary. A group spontaneously forming to help someone then dissipating just as fast. Anything to do with the collective working in harmony or to help others. Of society getting better, old problems getting fixed, etc,...

Any experiences you have had since the solstice that fit this or anything else you can think of as positive proof the New Age has begun, please add it. I want to believe.

Good luck. As far as I can tell, this world just keeps going to hell.

#11    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Start local. Think global.

#12    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,644 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 03 January 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

Is that a predicted feature of a "new age"?  If so, who made that prediction and what was their justification for it?

Has it never happened before that a group has spontaneously formed to help someone and dissipated just as fast and is a unique feature of a "new age"?

This is a big problem with this kind of new age woo.  The predictions can so vague and wishy-washy that just about anything gets touted as evidence, like in the other thread where the Sandy Hook massacre is being pimped as the start of a "spiritual awakening".

If you "want to believe" something enough, you'll start cherry picking evidence and massaging it and reinterpreting things until you get what you want.

Yes, cherry picking. I am specifically asking for that as an antidote to your pessimism

Cherry pick the positive and present it here.

#13    Dien

Dien

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Internally, I noticed that I feel more at peace.  I feel as if I am no longer living in the past and living more in the "now" and perhaps a bit more compassionate.  The journey to Enlightenment is inward as they say :yes: .  But I am still in my early 20's so maybe that is a part of growing up.  Externally, everything still seems the same.  And the news makes things seem even worse.

#14    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,463 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

View PostI believe you, on 03 January 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

Yes, cherry picking. I am specifically asking for that as an antidote to your pessimism

Cherry pick the positive and present it here.
What pessimism?

Why would cherry picking the positive in 2013 make any more sense than waiting until 2031 or doing it back in 1994 and use that as evidence that some "new age" began then or will begin in the future?

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

"If people put enough excrement in one pile they think they can safely claim that there must be something other than excrement in a pile that big." - stereologist

#15    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

Define "a new age"? I mean are we suddenly, all by itself, become better people? More compassionate, nice, friendly, enlightened, etc?
That's just a big pile of bovine excrements. Change needs to come from us, we cannot do it via "a new age" or via someone else or via a sect or via intervention of the holy spirit....

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users