Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Why havent we gone back to the Moon yet?

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#1    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Seriously we haven't landed another Human on the Moon in 41 years. In that time frame are technology has become so much safer and better. Not to mention we have a international space station now which could be used as a Gas Station. To and from the Moon which we didn't have back then. Sure a Moon trip is pretty expensive but still why hasn't another country besides the US landed someone on the moon?

#2    Amerix

Amerix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

Other than political chest beating, there hasn't been a practical need to return to the moon since.  We did it to show up the Soviets who at the time, had pursued more space endeavors than us.  Forget the fake conspiracy theories of us being "warned off the moon".

Edited by Cpl599, 03 January 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#3    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• 1,167 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Cpl599, on 03 January 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

Other than political chest beating, there hasn't been a practical need to return to the moon since.  We did it to show up the Soviets who at the time, had pursued more space endeavors than us.  Forget the fake conspiracy theories of us being "warned off the moon".

What about other countries though? Don't they have any sense of competition? I mean even the Soviets should of made an attempt to land someone on the Moon regardless of whether or not we beat them. I mean we were the first to go to the Moon. We were also the first to get Nuclear Weapons. Humans don't listen. So even if we were told to stay off the Moon since when do we listen to what were told? Look at the North Koreans for example. We have told them time and time again(were bigger than they are) to stop making Nucks and yet they are still making them.

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,215 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Been there saw that now lets go to Mars.

#5    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Money and politics.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#6    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,009 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Wrong section?

#7    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• 1,167 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

The New Richard Nixon, on 03 January 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

Wrong section?

Nope because aliens told us not to go back.

#8    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,186 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Well, other than national pride, the moon is a small dead rock. Very uninteresting now.

Now Mars, on the other hand, is a planet with exciting potential for vast natural mineral resources that could make sustainable human-habitation at least plausable, given the right chemical lab.

Unfortunately for me, I will be long dead before we step foot on Mars, much less attempt habitation.

#9    JimOberg

JimOberg

Psychic Spy

• 1,808 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

It is tough and we barely were able to pull it off at the time with 400,000 people working on it. But it re-established the street cred of US high-tech and that had profound economic, diplomatic, and military fallout. Twenty years later, the Apollo triumph nailed the coffin shut for the USSR when they realized if we could land on the moon, we could [if we really tried] build a space missile shield to castrate their nuclear strike forces -- and they threw in the towel.

Such motives aren't nearly as powerful in today's multi-polar world.

China is following its own path to establish an equality with US and Euro and Russian tech, at a modest budget level. Nobody really sees any payoff for the tremendous cost and risk of a re-run, for now.

Developing human access to beyond-low-earth-orbit, to any number of destinations, is the current NASA direction [spacecraft and booster now being developed], and I think it's the prudent one. When the time comes to resume human and human-tended lunar surface operations, it won't be an 'Apollo-on-steroids', and will probably use other technoloies for lunar orbit to lunar surface [and back] transportation.

#10    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

stevemagegod, on 03 January 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

The  why ask if you got the answer?

Posted Image

~MEH~

#11    1963

Psychic Spy

• 1,083 posts

• When the day is through,and the nightsky shades the blue,and the swallows cease to sing as they fly!.......

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

stevemagegod, on 03 January 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

Hi Steve!
Just wondering if you were being serious? ...if you were?, I have to say that.. Of course as an individual, your opinion is as valid as anyone's. but for me, I've heard and read all of "rumours" associated with this wild [and intentionally $$$ designed] claim!...and for the life of me, cannot see any value in even paying scant lip-service to the vastly unsupported fantasy!

In my humble opinion, the answer is quite easy to fathom out for yourself, and has already been given to you by more erudite posters than me!...It is plain and simply MONEY!....No hoax Moon Landing, and No Territory-Dispute with Aliens whatsoever!...Just Money!..
And to say why haven't we done it. Have a look at the airline industry. There is no supersonic airliner since Concorde was grounded. Concorde, like Apollo, was 1960's technology. Our fastest airliners are a little over one-third as fast as Concorde was. Was Concorde a hoax?
Concorde was dangerous and highly expensive. Same with Apollo. Airlines have moved on to provide wide-bodied mass carriers that make airline travel relatively much cheaper than in the 60's. The Space program is aimed at achieving the most for the least cost. That is why we have not been back to the moon - you can send 20 probes to Pluto for the cost of one manned lunar mission.

And the reason that China ,Russia,  India or whomever you like, haven't seen fit to repeat the magnificent achievement of 1969 is pretty obvious to me also....Who wants to spend gazillions of "$$$" to get the silver medal?...No!...i'm afraid that their eyes will be firmly-fixed on the next race!..[whichever that may be?]....Planting their flag on Mars perhaps..?

[hope i'm around to see it!]  :tu:

Cheers.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

#12    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• 1,167 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

pallidin, on 03 January 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

Well, other than national pride, the moon is a small dead rock. Very uninteresting now.

Now Mars, on the other hand, is a planet with exciting potential for vast natural mineral resources that could make sustainable human-habitation at least plausable, given the right chemical lab.

Unfortunately for me, I will be long dead before we step foot on Mars, much less attempt habitation.

Exactly we have had 41 years to prepare for mars since we landed on the Moon. Why don't we have any Bases up there yet? Having a Base on the Moon is like 1/3 of the way there to the Mars(Dont Quote me on that cuz i think i am wrong :whistle: )

#13    Winterwind

Winterwind

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Hasina, on 03 January 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

Money and politics.

This sums it up nicely.

Issue 19 of the Winterwind Papers now online
- http://www.winterwind-productions.com
- Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love

#14    Amerix

Amerix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

What about other countries though? Don't they have any sense of competition? I mean even the Soviets should of made an attempt to land someone on the Moon regardless of whether or not we beat them.

Other countries are already planning manned moon, and even Mars missions.  But I believe those are announcements mostly made out of national pride.  The only country with the financial ability to follow through right now is China.  India talks a lot of talk but with half of the worlds poor living within their borders, they have bigger financial fish to fry, and our Nasa has been systematically dismantled through budget cuts over the years.

As for the Soviets, they were busy building an army capable of taking on NATO, and were going broke doing it.  They could not afford a manned moon landing, and as the years passed, their financial situation got worse and worse, until the day the Berlin wall fell.

#15    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

stevemagegod, on 03 January 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

Seriously we haven't landed another Human on the Moon in 41 years. In that time frame are technology has become so much safer and better. Not to mention we have a international space station now which could be used as a Gas Station. To and from the Moon which we didn't have back then. Sure a Moon trip is pretty expensive but still why hasn't another country besides the US landed someone on the moon?

Aliens frightened us off. :alien:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users