Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Why havent we gone back to the Moon yet?

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#16    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

We never went a first time.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#17    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,090 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

View Poststevemagegod, on 03 January 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

Exactly we have had 41 years to prepare for mars since we landed on the Moon. Why don't we have any Bases up there yet? Having a Base on the Moon is like 1/3 of the way there to the Mars(Dont Quote me on that cuz i think i am wrong :whistle: )
You are wrong.

The distance from earth to moon is c. 400,000km and the distance from earth to Mars is anything from 50,000,000km to 400,000,000km (depending on where we are in our respective orbits) therefore the Moon is more like 1/120 to 1/1000 the distance to Mars.

You know you could have found that out via a few seconds on Google or Wikipedia?  As it is you reveal how little you understand the scale of things out there in space when you say something like this.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#18    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,090 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

View Poststevemagegod, on 03 January 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

Seriously we haven't landed another Human on the Moon in 41 years. In that time frame are technology has become so much safer and better. Not to mention we have a international space station now which could be used as a Gas Station.
How could the ISS be used as a "gas station"?  Have you any idea how expensive it is to just get supplies and stuff to and from the space station?  The ISS is completely inequipped to handle the volume of rocket fuel that typical space missions use, and it wouldn't make any sense anyway.  If you can get a rocket up into space with spare fuel left over to leave at the space station, why not just use that fuel as part of the space mission that would be refuelling at the ISS?  The vast majority of the fuel needs for any given space mission is to escape the earth's gravity, therefore once in outer space there really isn't much call for a refuelling station in low earth orbit.

To and from the Moon which we didn't have back then. Sure a Moon trip is pretty expensive but still why hasn't another country besides the US landed someone on the moon?
Beyond scoring very expensive political points, what's the advantage of putting another manned mission on the moon?  Much more productive if you do want to explore the moon to use scientific orbiters and robotic rovers as they do on Mars (and on the moon currently apart from the rovers, there are several scientific orbiters studying the moon in various ways and in great detail).

NASA is already suffering budget cuts, so it's going to have its work cut out trying to convince the government to up their budget considerably for a mission that isn't going to reap much rewards.

I could see the Chinese maybe doing it just for bragging rights just like the USA did with the Soviets back in the 1960s.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#19    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Apollo 18! Duuuuuuuh
Posted Image

Posted Image

~MEH~

#20    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,090 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

There was a dude here some time ago, who argued that Apollo 18 was part of government psy-ops, designed to frighten a generation into never becoming astronauts so that the aliens or whatever wouldn't be found by them on the moon.

#21    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 03 January 2013 - 10:17 PM, said:

There was a dude here some time ago, who argued that Apollo 18 was part of government psy-ops, designed to frighten a generation into never becoming astronauts so that the aliens or whatever wouldn't be found by them on the moon.

There has always been "a dude" claiming all sorts of nonsense here at UM....... we all remember one.

Some of them are here now.... and we will remember them in the future...... with a smile on our faces. :santa:

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#22    Winterwind

Winterwind

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 03 January 2013 - 10:17 PM, said:

I'm sorry I missed that. It's easily the funniest thing I've heard about on here all day.

Issue 19 of the Winterwind Papers now online
- http://www.winterwind-productions.com
- Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love

#23    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

View PostWinterwind, on 03 January 2013 - 11:26 PM, said:

I'm sorry I missed that. It's easily the funniest thing I've heard about on here all day.

:lol:  That says alot, being in the UFO forum and all....

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#24    Winterwind

Winterwind

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

View PostDBunker, on 03 January 2013 - 11:36 PM, said:

:lol:  That says alot, being in the UFO forum and all....

Well, I was in the Crypto forum for a while, reading through Bigfoot threads and that went from funny to sad very fast so the above brought me back to funny.

Edited by Winterwind, 03 January 2013 - 11:59 PM.

Issue 19 of the Winterwind Papers now online
- http://www.winterwind-productions.com
- Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love

#25    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

View PostWinterwind, on 03 January 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

Well, I was in the Crypto forum for a while, reading through Bigfoot threads and that went from funny to sad very fast so the above brought me back to funny.

Quirious..... Can you see a similar "path" here with the UFO=ET believers?

#26    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,731 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

Good point... we should be able to have picnics there by now... actually I may believe the theory that landing on the moon was a hoax to begin with. We probably were warned off the moon, it's not that far and we have enough crafts... don't we?

Edited by SpiritWriter, 04 January 2013 - 12:38 AM.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#27    SwampgasBalloonBoy

SwampgasBalloonBoy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:37 AM

View Poststevemagegod, on 03 January 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

Exactly we have had 41 years to prepare for mars since we landed on the Moon. Why don't we have any Bases up there yet? Having a Base on the Moon is like 1/3 of the way there to the Mars(Dont Quote me on that cuz i think i am wrong :whistle: )

Base on Moon = $$$$$$$$$$. I am sure millionaires and billionaires would pay a lot of money to stay a month or so on the moon. There are a few already paying the russian to take them to space. I would think that it's easier and cheaper to go the second time around than first. But somehow this is not happening?

#28    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,847 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:41 AM

Key word,or symbol that is $$$$$$$$$$ THe Moon waits for no one,And No one waits for the Moon ! Its always going to be there waiting for us. Now I read that NASA wants to grab a space rock to put it into orbit around the Moon?
I wonder whats on there minds ? Maybe there is Alien Life out there. And we need a Big Rock between us and them ?

This is a Work in Progress!

#29    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,833 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:59 AM

View Poststevemagegod, on 03 January 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

Seriously we haven't landed another Human on the Moon in 41 years. In that time frame are technology has become so much safer and better. Not to mention we have a international space station now which could be used as a Gas Station. To and from the Moon which we didn't have back then. Sure a Moon trip is pretty expensive but still why hasn't another country besides the US landed someone on the moon?

I know everyone has given $$$ as the answer, and that is true, but not because there are no $$$ but because $$$ are being more widely dispersed. Have you seen the images from the Cassini-Huygens Mission? We have put 3 robots on Mars, we have satellites spaced out alone gravitational points to test Einstein's famous equation, Galileo recorded and became part of Jupiter, we have had first hand looks at Pluto, put a telescope (several actually) in space, we have discovered extra solar planets, and even managed a photo of one of them, put a probe on an asteroid, landed on Venus, mapped Mercury and all of this starting with the Voyager probes, both of which now heading into Interstellar space. We went from rockets to the shuttle, and now the Sklylon looks promising as the next wave of technology. We also built, and floated a space station as an international effort and put up so many satellites you can hook into one with your car and get directions as to where you want to go.

Not like we have been sitting on our hands. In fact, not bad for 41 years I would say!

Edited by psyche101, 04 January 2013 - 04:00 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#30    uprize

uprize

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

I think its a cop out excuse to say that there is no point in going since the US got there first, the space race was over and the cost is simply too high. Sorry but thats BS.
Technology and knowledge has increased greatly over the past few decade, there is no excuse not to go back there or set up a permanent/semi-permanent base on the moon.
After all, NASA is talking about eventually putting bases on mars, so why not practice first on the moon? After all, it is relatively close to Earth (in terms of space units) so comparatively its like a quick trip down to the local shop for some bread and milk.
If oyu think its a lot of $$$ to put a base on the moon, how much do you think it will cost to put a base on Mars? What about the chances of something going wrong? Surely putting a base on the moon would give us the experience needed to perform the same operation on other planets.

Also the US spends over 1 trillion PER YEAR on military spending. So the money excuse is very lame considering they could spend most of that military funding on space travel and technologies instead ( like moon bases)!!!
I think spending several billion $$$ on a moon base is a good investment indeed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users