Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

'Spiritual' people higher risk mental problem

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

http://www.theblaze....ental-disorder/

http://www.telegraph...h-problems.html

"They are more likely to suffer from a range of mental health problems than either the conventionally religious or those who are agnostic or atheists, found researchers at University College London.

They are more disposed towards anxiety disorders, phobias and neuroses, have eating disorders and drug problems.

In addition, they are more likely than others to be taking medication for mental health problems.

Professor Michael King, from University College London, and his fellow researchers wrote in the British Journal of Psychiatry: "Our main finding is that people who had a spiritual understanding of life had worse mental health than those with an understanding that was neither religious nor spiritual."

The study was based on a survey of 7,403 randomly selected men and women in England who were questioned about their spiritual and religious beliefs, and mental state."

What do you think?

#2    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

Since most of my religious friends are on anti depressants with marital issues and numerous health issues stemming from stress ,,and my spiritual friends are drug free and in healthy relationships ,with no hospitalizations under their belt ........best guess,the guy running the study is religious and in a failing marriage ,and on psych meds. Probably has high blood pressure too .
Lol

Miss me?

#3    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

View Posttapirmusic, on 04 January 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

"They are more likely to suffer from a range of mental health problems than either the conventionally religious or those who are agnostic or atheists, found researchers at University College London.

They are more disposed towards anxiety disorders, phobias and neuroses, have eating disorders and drug problems.

In addition, they are more likely than others to be taking medication for mental health problems.

Professor Michael King, from University College London, and his fellow researchers wrote in the British Journal of Psychiatry: "Our main finding is that people who had a spiritual understanding of life had worse mental health than those with an understanding that was neither religious nor spiritual."

The study was based on a survey of 7,403 randomly selected men and women in England who were questioned about their spiritual and religious beliefs, and mental state."

What do you think?
Simple. People who have more problems tend to turn to religion a bit more. The old "no atheists in a foxhole effect." I'm not surprised at all.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,990 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

People with problems do tend to turn to religion more than they do atheism.  I know people that had mental and/or physical, cancer, that became religious because I think they felt they would be cured.  I guess any hope is better than none at all.

#5    Solipsi Rai

Solipsi Rai

...from the Desert...

• 2,865 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

The link between non-religious spirituality and higher risk of mental disorders sounds interesting, but it does not mean spiritual people are mentally ill at all. Please explain how come some extremely religious people like those members of Al-Qaeda are told they will be rewarded 70-72 virgins in heaven just for blowing up a building, indicate their serious psychological deviancy when it comes to political and religious affairs in the world stage.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#6    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

View PostTsa-La-Gie Oyate, on 05 January 2013 - 01:18 AM, said:

The link between non-religious spirituality and higher risk of mental disorders sounds interesting, but it does not mean spiritual people are mentally ill at all. Please explain how come some extremely religious people like those members of Al-Qaeda are told they will be rewarded 70-72 virgins in heaven just for blowing up a building, indicate their serious psychological deviancy when it comes to political and religious affairs in the world stage.

Pssssttt ...can we say westboro baptist church .God makes them do eeevvverrryyytthhing...

Miss me?

#7    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

Is this... intended to come as a surprise somehow?

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#8    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

View Posttapirmusic, on 04 January 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

What do you think?

Is this guy Professor something or another still pis-sed that a 15 years old chick hearing voices kicked the Brits out of Orleans?   (I'm referring to Johanne of Arc of course)

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#9    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

religious people are often in denial of the things they preach against.  For instance, the priest that molests young boys, the minister that condemns homosexuals but has a secret same sex loverand the proponent of charity that steals from the poor.

The louder the argument, the more they have to hide/run from.

Are non-believers more depressed?  Faced with the reality of the state of the world, maybe it would seem so but I think depression is equally distributed amongst believers and nonbelievers alike. .But since religious people tend to congregate together they me feel a bit more support thus a alleviating some of the symptoms of depression.  also they tend to give up their problems to their higher power which relieves them of responsibility.

Edited by Lava_Lady, 05 January 2013 - 08:07 AM.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#10    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

In other words. Seeing the other side of things is risky. You go to far and it interferes with your life then it leads to problems.

Edited by Jinxdom, 05 January 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#11    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,178 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostJinxdom, on 05 January 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

In other words. Seeing the other side of things is risky. You go to far and it interferes with your life then it leads to problems.
Some spiritual disciplines have been referred to as "the path of the razors edge" for just this reason.  The need to remain functioning and logical in the material world is an important first grounding step when approaching the esoteric or spiritual sides of life.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#12    Avatar Samantha Ai

WE DO LOVE YOU

• 3,746 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.
    -AF

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 04 January 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

Simple. People who have more problems tend to turn to religion a bit more. The old "no atheists in a foxhole effect." I'm not surprised at all.

You didn't read or fully understand the article, it specifically stated those who are religious are the least likely to have problems, even less than those who are secular or spiritual (with no religious affiliation).

It is those who are spiritual (with no religious affiliation) who are likely to have the most issues according to this article.

That makes sense because those who claim to be spiritual yet not religious most likely have a weak social network since they are not religious it also means they are less likely to be part of a group such as a church. Social isolation and weak social bonds all impact health.

Those who are secular most likely are part of groups. When you are spiritual, too spiritual, it can make you a loner.

Also the "no atheists in foxholes" adage was proven wrong, there was an article a while back posted here, studies showed atheists are likely to hold on to their beliefs even if death is imminent.

Edited by I believe you, 05 January 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#13    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwít éoredmæcg

• 5,275 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostI believe you, on 05 January 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

Also the "no atheists in foxholes" adage was proven wrong, there was an article a while back posted here, studies showed atheists are likely to hold on to their beliefs even if death is imminent.

Now that I can identify with!  As far as I can remember, my prayers during a 'contact', were directed almost exclusively toward the lads giving me covering fire until I managed to get my rosy-red butt to relative safety!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#14    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostI believe you, on 05 January 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

You didn't read or fully understand the article, it specifically stated those who are religious are the least likely to have problems, even less than those who are secular or spiritual (with no religious affiliation).

It is those who are spiritual (with no religious affiliation) who are likely to have the most issues according to this article.

That makes sense because those who claim to be spiritual yet not religious most likely have a weak social network since they are not religious it also means they are less likely to be part of a group such as a church. Social isolation and weak social bonds all impact health.

Those who are secular most likely are part of groups. When you are spiritual, too spiritual, it can make you a loner.

Sorry yes. I was just going off this quote from the op.

""Our main finding is that people who had a spiritual understanding of life had worse mental health than those with an understanding that was neither religious nor spiritual."

Seemed like a summery to me. But it's worded funny or amibguouse or something. It's got to many  negatives in it which confuses the sentence. "worse",  "neither" and "nor" all referring to "spiritual".

Upon actually reading the articles I see what you mean. That quote is worded funny.

I still say that those with problems will turn to spiritual inclinations . The foxhole is a concept not an absolute. Quite obviously those with entrenched beliefs will hold them, but those on the margins will likely cross over.

Now. The foxhole adage. What proof. Keep hearing this but I have never seen an offering of proof. Not that I  think it's an absolute truth. But the main theme of the adage is that in dangerous life threatening situations people tend to turn to spiritual inclinations a lot easier. The atheist with a catholic upbringing might just sign the cross just incase. I'm sure it has happened many times.

In regards to the article. I would not argue this. I see it aswell. Many people with problems seek spirituality, the problem of course is that those that cannot accept a religion do not get the a "answer" that they are seeking, and the network of support that religion is usefull for. Then ontop of the matter religions in a way will shun them. I absolutely cannot express my spiritual beliefs and practices in my community otherwise be labeled.

I would consider it less the creation of the person, but more a cause of the exclusivity usually created by religions themselves. But that's just a guess.

People that are seekers tend to be a bit more turbulent and come from a wider verity of back grounds than those that live the comfy life of acceptance.

Edited by Seeker79, 05 January 2013 - 03:04 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#15    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• I am an agnostic, don't like atheist much, well some of them, they can be worse than any die in the wool believer.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Most people have some sort of religion, so it figures that many would have serious mental issues.  Many atheist that I know are bi-polar, it means nothing.

doug

If you must have  finale absolute answers, then become an  hard nosed atheist or a fundie of any religion, both seem to be black and white thinkers, and have only contempt for those who think differently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users