Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Proposal for no term limits

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,903 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Although I'm not blind to the dangers of this if we are to assume a president can secretly rig an election, I do support it.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#17    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

View PostEonwe, on 06 January 2013 - 05:13 AM, said:

http://www.govtrack....lls/113/hjres15

Well, this certainly got real.

Let's also point out that Jose' has been putting forth this same bill for more than a decade now.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#18    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,546 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

View PostRafterman, on 07 January 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

Let's also point out that Jose' has been putting forth this same bill for more than a decade now.

Yuppers.  No real news.  Fear mongering...again.

Guess it's been going on for the last twenty years.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#19    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,917 posts

• States are domed when they are unable to distinguish good men from bad.

- Antisthenes.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

The problem with term limits is that in a way they are oppressive, don't you think?

If we were in a truly free society, we would have no term limits.

But you have to also imagine that if someone is able to be reelected and stay in office way past their time there's more potential to abuse.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#20    awest

awest

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

Only 1 president ever served more then two terms before the constitution was amended to add term limits, and well, it was an amendment. And amendment can't simply be legislated away. Franklin D. Roosevelt was the president to serve more then 2 terms and he actually died a few months into his 4th term.

#21    RavenHawk

RavenHawk

Alien Abducter

• 4,452 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

View PostEonwe, on 07 January 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

The problem with term limits is that in a way they are oppressive, don't you think?

If we were in a truly free society, we would have no term limits.

But you have to also imagine that if someone is able to be reelected and stay in office way past their time there's more potential to abuse.
In the case of government, they should be oppressive.  A truly free society would have proper limits on government.  I.e., the Bill of Rights.

*Signature removed* Forum Rules

#22    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,917 posts

• States are domed when they are unable to distinguish good men from bad.

- Antisthenes.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

View PostRavenHawk, on 07 January 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

In the case of government, they should be oppressive.  A truly free society would have proper limits on government.  I.e., the Bill of Rights.

I agree.

Unfortunately our society seems to have a grand misconception about our rights.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#23    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,224 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

View PostJinxdom, on 07 January 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

I'd put a nice stipulation that if you get kicked out by the people you also get tar and feathered. Might get politicians to actually you know work for the people instead of against.
Nah, hit them where it'll hurt "if you are removed from office for any other reason other then retirement or choosing to forgo a continuance of your term for medical reasons you will be bound by law to return all money paid to you as wages (other then the minimum you would have earnt in that time on a "living wage"). Failure to do so is a criminal act".

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#24    RavenHawk

RavenHawk

Alien Abducter

• 4,452 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 07 January 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

Nah, hit them where it'll hurt "if you are removed from office for any other reason other then retirement or choosing to forgo a continuance of your term for medical reasons you will be bound by law to return all money paid to you as wages (other then the minimum you would have earnt in that time on a "living wage"). Failure to do so is a criminal act".
We could do what has been purported that the Doges of Venice did (I have never really found confirmation of this but I like the idea).  The Doge was the leader of Venice.  They were elected from among the wealthy businessmen.  If there was any shortfall in city funds, the Doge was expected to make good on the difference out of their own pocket.  If they could not do so or make a deal, then their throat would be cut on the spot.

*Signature removed* Forum Rules

#25    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:17 AM

Personnally, I think that existing Term Limits should be reduced. If you're in DC too long, you get corrupted. We need new faces there constantly. And probably less of them need to be lawyers.

Isn't ending term limits one of the first thing that Hugo Chavez did? Isn't it one of the first things all pretender Presidents do to establish basically a dictatorship. Not that I'm accusing anyone of doing that here.... Clearly this guy is just pulling his same route for some reason.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#26    supervike

supervike

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,235 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

Just playing devils advocate here, but why shouldn't the American voters be able vote for the same President for more than 2 terms?  He/she would still have to win.  I don't see why the limit should be in place at all.  We have the perfect chance to fire a politician every election day.

#27    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

View Postsupervike, on 09 January 2013 - 12:33 AM, said:

Just playing devils advocate here, but why shouldn't the American voters be able vote for the same President for more than 2 terms?  He/she would still have to win.  I don't see why the limit should be in place at all.  We have the perfect chance to fire a politician every election day.
My guess is that because the longer a President is in office, the more entrenched they become in all the areas of government, so that eventually the government is a complete reflection of that person, which is kind of like a form of tyranny. It promotes stagnation.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users