Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Proposal for no term limits

Drayno

yeap, that's the important thing we need to discuss and debate in Congress now - not gun laws, not the bloody fiscal cliff, making it so the Sainted Obama can have a third term...

The fact that someone would even put it forward for consideration says a lot about where we are as a country now. It might be interesting to watch Oby fight Bill for the nomination in 3 years......

poo poo :clap:

Before some start trembling:

Prognosis

0% chance of getting past committee.

0% chance of being enacted or passed.

There will always be idiots proposing idiotic things. Instead we should be discussing term limits for Congress, the House and State legislatures. The most dangerous thing for a democracy are professional politicians.

• Like 7

i dout this will pass. But i wish someone would put a bill out to try and limit the term of congressmen. That would be nice. just saying.

The sad thing is the majority of the population agree's the house and congress should have term limits. But the politicans dont.. lol

• Like 2

Prognosis

There will always be idiots proposing idiotic things. Instead we should be discussing term limits for Congress, the House and State legislatures. The most dangerous thing for a democracy are professional politicians.

I agree it more than likely won't pass.

But at least we know what they're trying to do.

Good find for sure. Good comments. Seems even the people that disagree often agree on this one.

Prognosis

Term limits won't work unless the thinking changes among the status quo. The media plays a much more important role in influencing public opinion than any professional politician. The politician is a puppet and puppets are easily replaced.

Prognosis

I agree that we need term limits at *ALL* levels…

“You politicians have stayed professionals only because the voters have remained amateurs.” - Mary Matthews (Katharine Hepburn) in “State of the Union”

But I wouldn’t say there is 0% chance. Obama got reelected after all.

I'm all for it. Only if we have an easier way to get somebody out of office. (Just because you sleep with an intern isn't one of them).

So that we actually can keep a leader who might worry about what we want rather then just pushing things through half ass it because of time. I'd put a nice stipulation that if you get kicked out by the people you also get tar and feathered. Might get politicians to actually you know work for the people instead of against.

You know that whole keeping the good people and ditching the bad people. Might be what this country needs.

I wouldn't trust a career politician to actually write it though because we would just get boned.

Although I'm not blind to the dangers of this if we are to assume a president can secretly rig an election, I do support it.

The problem with term limits is that in a way they are oppressive, don't you think?

If we were in a truly free society, we would have no term limits.

But you have to also imagine that if someone is able to be reelected and stay in office way past their time there's more potential to abuse.

Only 1 president ever served more then two terms before the constitution was amended to add term limits, and well, it was an amendment. And amendment can't simply be legislated away. Franklin D. Roosevelt was the president to serve more then 2 terms and he actually died a few months into his 4th term.

The problem with term limits is that in a way they are oppressive, don't you think?

If we were in a truly free society, we would have no term limits.

But you have to also imagine that if someone is able to be reelected and stay in office way past their time there's more potential to abuse.

In the case of government, they should be oppressive. A truly free society would have proper limits on government. I.e., the Bill of Rights.

In the case of government, they should be oppressive. A truly free society would have proper limits on government. I.e., the Bill of Rights.

I agree.

Unfortunately our society seems to have a grand misconception about our rights.

I'd put a nice stipulation that if you get kicked out by the people you also get tar and feathered. Might get politicians to actually you know work for the people instead of against.

Nah, hit them where it'll hurt "if you are removed from office for any other reason other then retirement or choosing to forgo a continuance of your term for medical reasons you will be bound by law to return all money paid to you as wages (other then the minimum you would have earnt in that time on a "living wage"). Failure to do so is a criminal act".

Nah, hit them where it'll hurt "if you are removed from office for any other reason other then retirement or choosing to forgo a continuance of your term for medical reasons you will be bound by law to return all money paid to you as wages (other then the minimum you would have earnt in that time on a "living wage"). Failure to do so is a criminal act".

We could do what has been purported that the Doges of Venice did (I have never really found confirmation of this but I like the idea). The Doge was the leader of Venice. They were elected from among the wealthy businessmen. If there was any shortfall in city funds, the Doge was expected to make good on the difference out of their own pocket. If they could not do so or make a deal, then their throat would be cut on the spot.

Personnally, I think that existing Term Limits should be reduced. If you're in DC too long, you get corrupted. We need new faces there constantly. And probably less of them need to be lawyers.

Isn't ending term limits one of the first thing that Hugo Chavez did? Isn't it one of the first things all pretender Presidents do to establish basically a dictatorship. Not that I'm accusing anyone of doing that here.... Clearly this guy is just pulling his same route for some reason.