Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Most elaborate Wikipedia hoax

bicholim conflict wikipedia hoax

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:52 AM

View PostSundew, on 08 January 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

Would that be the mainstream media or the politicians?

Agree. Politicians and the media like to fabricate and mislead. That's why it's so hard for me to vote or watch much news.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much skepticism
can make you narrow minded to all possibilities no matter how unconventional.

#17    unknownsoldier

unknownsoldier

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

there's a game i played called medieval total war and in the Campaign Portal go to war with the Maratha Empire its incredible how many people have been fooled.

#18    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

View Postthe L, on 07 January 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

Lets invent new law, about intenional spreading of lies, misleading people, deciving. Find him trough IP and punish him.
Are you lying? :su

What could possibly go wrong?

#19    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

View Postunknownsoldier, on 08 January 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

there's a game i played called medieval total war and in the Campaign Portal go to war with the Maratha Empire its incredible how many people have been fooled.

I think you got the games mixed up :P Empire total war and you're quite right. Time to roll out an update.

#20    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

What do you want to do, completely eliminate all user input? Let a couple of whitewashed jerks decide for everyone else what articles should be included and who gets to edit them? Wow, that will make for an exciting site. It will be like the set of print encyclopedias collecting dust on the shelf, no interactivity, look but don't touch.

Edited by Order66, 15 January 2013 - 01:54 PM.

Posted Image

#21    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,694 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

View PostOrder66, on 15 January 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

What do you want to do, completely eliminate all user input? Let a couple of whitewashed jerks decide for everyone else what articles should be included and who gets to edit them? Wow, that will make for an exciting site. It will be like the set of print encyclopedias collecting dust on the shelf, no interactivity, look but don't touch.
Yeah, I agree. Why ruin millions of useful inputs for the reason of a handful of rotten ones.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#22    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

people shouldn't take wikipedia for granted because it's quite rubbish

#23    MichaelW

MichaelW

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,523 posts

• Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 08 January 2013 - 12:37 AM, said:

I would much rather go to Wikipedia, which has basically neutrally oriented Fact Checkers, rather then simply trust in any of the millions of politically... religiously... socially... racially... oriented/slanted independent sites that don't site their information at all.

Fully agree with this. The vast majority of "independent" sites on the web are there to promote agendas of individual people and groups........more often than not using sources that are as equally biased as any of the content on sites. Infowars is a good example of this.

Also, the proper spelling is "cite".

Signature removed - please see rule 3b.

#24    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,509 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

Love this! Can't believe it even got a badge of honour.

It reminds me of something my friend's father, who is a secondary school English teacher and his colleague did, set their class a research task overnight (after lessons about research and using good sources) about a fairly obscure historical figure. On that evening, they changed the date of birth on the Wikipedia page for this figure, just for the day. Lo and behold, 90%+ of the class came into school the next day with the incorrect date of birth. Sigh.

I do think Wikipedia is a useful tool however. While I know it is not suitable to be used as a reference for most things, when I am faced with research on something complicated that I know little about, Wikipedia is often very good at explaining it, and provides sources which can then be checked out in turn.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users