Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Thoughts on Robert Bauval

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 13,038 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

I always liked Bauval's commentary on things like AA - seems to keep them grounded in the most concrete likelihoods.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#17    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 21,284 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

View PostScott Creighton, on 07 January 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

SC: Alas, your comments (above) are somewhat outdated. I have discussed this issue with no less a figure than Dr Ed Krupp himself - the astronomer who first put forth the objections (that every Giza-Orion skeptic here regurgitates ad nauseum) to Bauval's Orion correlation. Whilst I cannot disclose the precise nature of our conversation (Dr Krupp does not wish me to make public his comments to me and I have to respect his wishes), I was every bit convinced that the validity of my response to Dr Krupp's original objections to Bauval's theory remained perfectly valid at the conclusion of our discussion.

Regards,

SC
I don't think they are outdated, because we discuss this almost every year and I've yet to be convinced. The constellation (as seen by Ancient Egyptians) has to be manipulated to make it fit the Pyramids on the ground. Yes, or No?

View Postcladking, on 08 January 2013 - 12:07 AM, said:

Robert Bauval is a member here and it is counter my policy to talk about members.

I will say this much though; I wish he were a fringee since it pains me to see sensible people in
the Egyptological camp.  I've read some of his books but do not agree with his theories.
Really? I've never seen a Post from him... Sadly. He'd probably be a fun guy to discuss with.

Edited by DieChecker, 08 January 2013 - 12:49 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#18    Scott Creighton

Scott Creighton

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

• Consensus opinion isn't fact.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 08 January 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:

I don't think they are outdated, because we discuss this almost every year and I've yet to be convinced. The constellation (as seen by Ancient Egyptians) has to be manipulated to make it fit the Pyramids on the ground. Yes, or No?

SC: No, it does not, just as I showed Dr Krupp, the man who first made this objection i.e. the upside-down argument. My 3-D Giza-Orion perspective resolves the upside-down issues Dr Krupp had, with particular reference to the cardinality of the shafts. In my discussions with Dr Krupp he did not deny that my own proposal resolved these issues. You are flogging a dead argument.

Regards,

SC

Edited by Scott Creighton, 08 January 2013 - 11:27 AM.

"The man o' independent mind... is king o' men, for a' that." - Robert Burns

#19    samspade

samspade

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostScott Creighton, on 08 January 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

SC: No, it does not,

Scott i suggest you re-read his question, he mentioned how  ancient egyptians viewed it, you lied  in responding to his question.

#20    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Not as much as some people are trying to flog their book methinks.

View PostWinterwind, on 07 January 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

I realise my post count isn't high enough to make me memorable but I'm not a fringie or AA believer. That's mainly why I have such a low post count. I can't take the aliens/bigfoot/paranormal stuff seriously and when the only possible response I can think to those that do would be a joke, there's really no point in posting. I was simply, genuinely curious as to why he's painted with the same brush when I've never once heard a word from him about aliens, advanced secret civilisations, etc. Shame the influx of the absurd means even simple curiosity is met with insinuations of agendas though. Understandable but a shame.

But hey, forget I asked. I'll just stick with lurking and laughing in the crypto and ufo forums. ;)

Now to answer the initial question, the problem comes from Bauval associating with people like Graham Hancock and Ahmed Osman. The latter is a mudslinger extraordinair himself (as mentioned by others before and as to Hancock, well lets just say that I do not have a lot of regard for the man.

As to Bauval himself, I might not agree with his ideas, I do however appreciated that he is the more grounded of the lot and in some areas, other than his Orion theory, makes quite a lot of sense.He is someone I can actually respect.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#21    Winterwind

Winterwind

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

I'm obviously aware of his co-writing credits with Hancock but until this thread I'd never even heard of Ahmed Osman. That's why I started this thread. Bauval never struck me as being "out there" so I was legitimately curious why he gets such a bad reputation.

Now I have to google Osman.

Edited by Winterwind, 08 January 2013 - 07:29 PM.

Issue 19 of the Winterwind Papers now online
- http://www.winterwind-productions.com
- Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love

#22    Alcibiades9

Alcibiades9

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostScott Creighton, on 07 January 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

Hi Winterwind,

Any researcher/writer who contests any aspect of Consensus Egyptology is considered by Egypt-apologists as “fringe”. That is how they operate—tarnish all dissenting voices with the same brush. If they can associate the likes of Bauval with the more outlandish alternative thinkers then they can paint Bauval as being just as guilty by mere association—an association the Egypt-apologists have themselves created and which, in reality, most likely should never have been made. In its simplest form it is nothing more than mud-slinging in the hope that some of the mud will stick and that his reputation will be tarnished. However, anyone with an ounce of common-sense can see right through such smear tactics.

I have personally met Robert and spent a lot of time with the man, discussing all manner of subjects including, of course, ancient Egypt and the pyramids. I have always found him to be gracious, respectful and highly intelligent. He has probably forgotten more about ancient Egypt than many on this Board actually know about the subject. But since some of his ideas run contrary to consensus Egyptology, he is fair game for the mud-slingers who treat the subject almost akin to a religious doctrine. And we all know the problems intolerant fanatics can cause.

Posted Image

Myself with Robert Bauval at the Great Pyramid

Regards,

SC

I must say you and Robert Bauval look very chummy in that photograph Scott... :whistle:

I don't recall seeing RB on here.

His work is a bit wide ranging to comment on concisely, but I will say that having "encountered" him on the Hall of Maat and Graham Hancock forums I have the strong impression that money is never far away from his thoughts.  His "contributions" seem mainly to consist of telling people to buy his book, or to find out more in his next book (once they've bought it of course).  I could be wrong of course, but that is the impression I get.  And he churns out books like nobody's business, clearly knowing that there's a ready market of "fans".  I doubt anyone has that many "big" ideas in one lifetime that they can fill so many books with them.

Did he charge you for that picture? :w00t: :unsure2:

Edited by Alcibiades9, 08 January 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#23    Alcibiades9

Alcibiades9

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

View Postsamspade, on 08 January 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

Scott i suggest you re-read his question, he mentioned how  ancient egyptians viewed it, you lied  in responding to his question.

Now now... don't go calling people liars.  That sort of thing makes the Baby Jesus cry.  And I know you wouldn't want that, would you? :)

#24    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 21,284 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

View PostScott Creighton, on 08 January 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

SC: No, it does not, just as I showed Dr Krupp, the man who first made this objection i.e. the upside-down argument. My 3-D Giza-Orion perspective resolves the upside-down issues Dr Krupp had, with particular reference to the cardinality of the shafts. In my discussions with Dr Krupp he did not deny that my own proposal resolved these issues. You are flogging a dead argument.

Regards,

SC

My statement was... Yes, or No.... If I was standing just north of the Pyramids and looking at Orion, would they directly be reflected in the arrangement of the pyramids? Is there any angles that need to be adjusted to make it all fit?

In my experience with people who badly want others to believe them....when someone says that a opponent of their theory did not argue against, it usually means that the opponent refused to argue, because it was pointless, or they would not change the persons mind anyway, or because they simply get frustrated and abandon the discussion. The true measure of what Dr Krupp thinks would be told by what he Did Agree with.

Failure to Not-Agree is not Agreeing.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#25    samspade

samspade

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

View PostAlcibiades9, on 08 January 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

That sort of thing makes the Baby Jesus cry.  And I know you wouldn't want that, would you? :)

:)  jesus is fine with my statement because it was the truth and his statment stands for all to see.

#26    Scott Creighton

Scott Creighton

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

View PostAlcibiades9, on 08 January 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

AL: I must say you and Robert Bauval look very chummy in that photograph Scott...

SC: Yes, Robert and I have become good friends over the years. Is that a problem for you?

AL: His work is a bit wide ranging to comment on concisely, but I will say that having "encountered" him on the Hall of Maat and Graham Hancock forums I have the strong impression that money is never far away from his thoughts.  His "contributions" seem mainly to consist of telling people to buy his book, or to find out more in his next book (once they've bought it of course).  I could be wrong of course, but that is the impression I get.  And he churns out books like nobody's business, clearly knowing that there's a ready market of "fans".  I doubt anyone has that many "big" ideas in one lifetime that they can fill so many books with them.

SC: We all have to earn a crust. RB does so by investing a lot of his time and money in research in the hope that he will earn his crust in book sales. As does Zahi Hawass and even Mark Lehner. RB is really no different in this regard.

AL: Did he charge you for that picture?

SC: Tee hee!

#27    Scott Creighton

Scott Creighton

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 08 January 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

In my experience with people who badly want others to believe them....when someone says that a opponent of their theory did not argue against, it usually means that the opponent refused to argue... Failure to Not-Agree is not Agreeing.

SC: Trust me… Dr Krupp most certainly tried to argue against.

Regards,

SC

#28    Alcibiades9

Alcibiades9

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

View PostScott Creighton, on 08 January 2013 - 09:43 PM, said:

SC: We all have to earn a crust.

We certainly do.  But Bauval seems to want the entire loaf.

#29    Scott Creighton

Scott Creighton

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

View PostAlcibiades9, on 08 January 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

We certainly do.  But Bauval seems to want the entire loaf.

SC: Tee hee. So long as he doesn't hog the entire bakery, I don't begrudge him his loaf.

Regards,

SC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users