Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

13 Strange U.S. Laws Canadians Should Know


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    glorybebe

glorybebe

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • Member
  • 8,715 posts
  • Joined:24 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Ok, geared towards Canadians, but I am wondering how many Americans know about these laws?

This is my favourite:

Quote


3. Choose Your Shoes Wisely in Cleveland

Who knew that your choice of footwear could cost you big bucks. In Cleveland, Ohio it’s forbidden for women to don patent leather shoes. The reason? The shiny leather could possibly reflect a woman’s – ahem – underwear or private parts for all to see. Canadian fashionistas, take note when selecting your wardrobe’s accessories.
http://www.readersdi...hould-know?id=3

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#2    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

    Heatseeker

  • Member
  • 10,629 posts
  • Joined:19 Dec 2003
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Avengers Tower

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Whoever breaks these laws should burn in the chair.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#3    K_Bonita

K_Bonita

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Joined:23 May 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada

  • For every dark night,there's a brighter day.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

Silly laws hehe

“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then. ”

#4    Taun

Taun

    A dashing moose about town...

  • Member
  • 5,643 posts
  • Joined:19 May 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tornado Alley (Oklahoma)

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

They left out the law that states that when a Canadian visits with an American the Canadian must buy the beer...

:whistle:


#5    glorybebe

glorybebe

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • Member
  • 8,715 posts
  • Joined:24 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

View PostTaun, on 07 January 2013 - 05:26 PM, said:

They left out the law that states that when a Canadian visits with an American the Canadian must buy the beer...

:whistle:
LOL, if I ever make it down there, I will buy you a beer just because....

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#6    ealdwita

ealdwita

    Hwt oredmcg

  • Member
  • 4,836 posts
  • Joined:08 Jun 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:astcentingas , England

  • Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

I think the UK have their share of old, weird laws, (and plenty of NEW weird laws too!)

All English Men over 14 are meant to carry out 2 hours of longbow practice each weekend supervised by the local clergy.
It is illegal for cab drivers to carry rabid dogs or indeed corpses and by law they must ask each and every passenger if they have small pox or 'The Plague'.
It is illegal for a lady to eat chocolates on a public conveyance.
Throughout the whole of England it is illegal to eat mince pies on the 25th of December.
Any boy under the age of 10 may not see a naked mannequin.
It is still an offence to beat or shake any carpet rug or mat in any street in the Metropolitan Police District, although you are allowed to shake a doormat before 8am.
Londoners are not allowed to keep a pigsty in the front of their homes.
It is illegal for a Member of Parliament to enter the House of Commons wearing a full suit of armour.

....................................................................................
(Just a small sample of UK laws still on the Statute Books.)


BTW, in 1800 the crime of impersonating a Chelsea Pensioner was punishable by death!

Edited by ealdwita, 07 January 2013 - 05:38 PM.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#7    OverSword

OverSword

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 13,276 posts
  • Joined:16 Oct 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Seattle WA USA

  • When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

I like the Arizona law making it ilegal for women to be in public without shaved legs, or in New York a man can get a $25.00 fine for flirting too hard with a woman and a second offense you have to wear horse blinders.


#8    Taun

Taun

    A dashing moose about town...

  • Member
  • 5,643 posts
  • Joined:19 May 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tornado Alley (Oklahoma)

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

View Postealdwita, on 07 January 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

I think the UK have their share of old, weird laws, (and plenty of NEW weird laws too!)

All English Men over 14 are meant to carry out 2 hours of longbow practice each weekend supervised by the local clergy.
It is illegal for cab drivers to carry rabid dogs or indeed corpses and by law they must ask each and every passenger if they have small pox or 'The Plague'.
It is illegal for a lady to eat chocolates on a public conveyance.
Throughout the whole of England it is illegal to eat mince pies on the 25th of December.
Any boy under the age of 10 may not see a naked mannequin.
It is still an offence to beat or shake any carpet rug or mat in any street in the Metropolitan Police District, although you are allowed to shake a doormat before 8am.
Londoners are not allowed to keep a pigsty in the front of their homes.
It is illegal for a Member of Parliament to enter the House of Commons wearing a full suit of armour.

....................................................................................
(Just a small sample of UK laws still on the Statute Books.)



Actually most of those are probably still good ideas....


#9    wolfknight

wolfknight

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA Kentucky

  • There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

These are some old laws


#10    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

    Queen of the UM Asylum

  • Member
  • 5,056 posts
  • Joined:17 Jan 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Poor Canadians.

Edited by Lady Kasey, 07 January 2013 - 06:14 PM.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#11    shaddow134

shaddow134

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  • Joined:25 Apr 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern Ontario

  • "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Apparently in Novia Scotia it is illegal to water the lawn whilst it is raining.

It is illegal to eat Ice Cream on Bank Street in Ottawa on a Sunday.

http://www.lufa.ca/n...asp?NewsID=7235

A few more weird Canadian Laws. :tu:

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#12    glorybebe

glorybebe

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • Member
  • 8,715 posts
  • Joined:24 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

View PostOverSword, on 07 January 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

I like the Arizona law making it ilegal for women to be in public without shaved legs, or in New York a man can get a $25.00 fine for flirting too hard with a woman and a second offense you have to wear horse blinders.
could you imagine how many men would be wearing blinders?  Wouldn't that be a sight to see? :clap:

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#13    glorybebe

glorybebe

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • Member
  • 8,715 posts
  • Joined:24 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Canada

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

View Postshaddow134, on 07 January 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

Apparently in Novia Scotia it is illegal to water the lawn whilst it is raining.

It is illegal to eat Ice Cream on Bank Street in Ottawa on a Sunday.

http://www.lufa.ca/n...asp?NewsID=7235

A few more weird Canadian Laws. :tu:

Quote

It is illegal to set fire to the wooden leg of a wooden legged man
:huh:......BBBWWWAAAAAHHHHAAAA!!!
I knew about this one:  

Quote

It is illegal to kill a sasquatch.


Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#14    HawkLord

HawkLord

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Joined:16 May 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Adelaide. South Australia

  • I reserve the right to change my mind when better and more accurate info becomes available.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

Quote


1. Watch What You Wear in Georgia

By all appearances, it seems that the lawmakers of Albany, Georgia fancy themselves as the fashion police. If your low-slung pants (or skirts, ladies) sit three inches or more below your hips, displaying your underwear or skin, be prepared to cough up a $25 fine. Do it again, and your clothes won’t be the only saggy sight - your wallet’s balance will plummet by $200, too. Pull up your pants; keep your cash.
Now that one should me made law everywhere (but only for guys who think they be 'illin gangsta style). :clap: :w00t:

Edited by HawkLord, 08 January 2013 - 01:10 AM.

The rocks in my head fill the holes in yours.

It is easy to spout the wisdom of others when you have none of your own.

Insult me all you like but remember that i have a sword.

#15    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Joined:19 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

View PostHawkLord, on 08 January 2013 - 01:07 AM, said:

Now that one should me made law everywhere (but only for guys who think they be 'illin gangsta style). :clap: :w00t:

A lot of old laws are still on the books but not usually enforced.  Too difficult to change them, I guess ....just look at how long before Congress & Senate  can pass anything  that's important LOL





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users