Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

What Did You Learn Today?

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#91    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,729 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

I learned how to install corner shelves...sort of.
I learned that some of the spring bulbs I'm forcing to grow in my windows are starting to bloom...(little things make me happy)
I learned that how easy it is to burn pasta when I'm distracted and forget that I put it in the pot to cook.
I learned that I really really want another dog. Specifically one of the golden retriever puppies that a friend's dog had a month ago. But I can't... :cry:

#92    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,542 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

I learned today, that I can't trust myself to be true to myself.

Posted Image

#93    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

Njuggle

• 9,471 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

Early this morning I learned what 'frangible' bullets are ....... and I really wish I hadn't :cry: . Seriously, why would anyone want to use such things? What situation could possibly justify their use? As if 'ordinary' bullets were not bad enough.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

#94    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,589 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:34 AM

Mike Nesmith from the Monkees... His mom was the person who invented correction fluid.

#95    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,494 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:57 AM

1) I learnt that the UK cannot handle snow.

2) I learnt how easy it is for journalists to badly misreport scientific papers and create sensationalistic news articles which makes it very easy to put doubt into the mind of the public regarding GPs, pushing ever more people towards to dubious field of complementary and alternative medicine.

Edited by Queen in the North, 24 March 2013 - 12:57 AM.

Posted Image

#96    _Only

_Only

• 6,463 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

Today I learned that Treasure Island near San Francisco is considerably radioactively contaminated in areas, left over from its Naval base days.

I later learned that it was built on a landfill... then later learned that the term landfill in this case meant dirt/Earth/rock put in the ocean.. not a bunch of garbage.

I've lived in the greater Bay area for almost 30 years. :blush:

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#97    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

I learnt that N- Trance of "Set Me Free" fame hail from Oldham.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#98    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

I also learnt that Professor Brian Cox has his roots in Oldham too...

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#99    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,370 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

I relearned today that there are no coincidences, because I just came from the thread that reminded me it’s the little things that make life worth living, into this thread, on this page that starts with sarah’s little bulb things starting to bloom :D
And now this little no-coincidence thing makes me happy, along with my various bulbs in the garden starting to bloom.  

In other words, I learned today that you can't have too many bulbs.

Posted Image

The 5 millionth post was Junior Chubb's fault :D
Donnie Darko did nothing, but I had to mention him too.

#100    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,799 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

Today I learned, yet again, that I tend to make mountains out of mole hills.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#101    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,840 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

G Donnelly, on 31 March 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

I also learnt that Professor Brian Cox has his roots in Oldham too...

Yep Oldham!  He lectures at my daughters Uni (Manchester.) Did you know he use to be in a pop band! (he is pretty gorgeous too :D )

Edited by Star of the Sea, 01 April 2013 - 07:34 PM.

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#102    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,542 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

Learned today that Ireland is always beautiful, even in the biting wind and that childhood places of fond memories always hold magic no matter how old you get.

Posted Image

#103    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,729 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:24 AM

I learned that if I throw my body into my locked front door as hard as I can a few times it'll just open!  

I also learned to make sure my keys are really with me before I leave the house.

#104    _Only

_Only

• 6,463 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

Today I learned that thumb fractures gone unchecked for too long can become harder and harder to fix (go figure) and can lead to arthritis (go figure again). I think I may have fractured my thumb weeks ago. It hurts every day, badly when waking up if I played the drums the day before, and is affecting the use of my hand's tight gripping.

I learned months ago that going to the emergency room for a broken finger which was actually only sprained cost me hundreds, and was no help. I wish it didn't influence my decision to not visit a doctor about this potentially damaged for life scenario.

Edited by _Only, 08 April 2013 - 06:01 AM.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#105    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,370 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

_Only, on 08 April 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

Today I learned that thumb fractures gone unchecked for too long can become harder and harder to fix (go figure) and can lead to arthritis (go figure again). I think I may have fractured my thumb weeks ago. It hurts every day, badly when waking up if I played the drums the day before, and is affecting the use of my hand's tight gripping.

I learned months ago that going to the emergency room for a broken finger which was actually only sprained cost me hundreds, and was no help. I wish it didn't influence my decision to not visit a doctor about this potentially damaged for life scenario.

On the brighter side, unattended finger fracture can also lead to formation of something that will look just like an extra joint, only you couldn’t control it like you control your real, natural joints. Cool, huh?
Don’t worry, I’m just creeping you out, though it’s possible it won’t happen to you, it’s rare and you need very serious fracture to develop fake joint out of it. If you can play drums with your fracture, it’s not fake joint worth. And playing drums is also the reason why it still hurts.
I broke my thumb in ventilator once and it hurt like hell for over a month. It hurt so bad I couldn't write or do anything involving that thumb. I simply didn't want to wear cast (again!) so I was careful for a while and it healed eventually. I have no arthritis... yet.
(Mods, I'm not giving medical advices, I'm sharing thumb breaking experiences and creeping the guy out!)

I learned today I like to creep people out, but only to certain, well defined level.
I also learned sore thumb is not something only I experienced. Well, duh :D

Posted Image

The 5 millionth post was Junior Chubb's fault :D
Donnie Darko did nothing, but I had to mention him too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users