Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 7 votes

Show us your EGO!

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#91    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 08 January 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Theres a daily quota for likes!!
That's not Fair.. :angry:  Hasina lives in Texas and get's out of bed way earlier than me..
No wonder she's 1st in the most liked scale.. Everyone run's out of likes by the time
the sun rises in New Zealand and I get out of bed.
:lol:  
Posted Image

Suppose someone where to make a fake account or two and use them from another location and IP address...and give themselves all the likes...
Posted Image

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#92    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 8,302 posts

• I'd rather laugh than argue.

Choose your weapon.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

View PostHasina, on 09 January 2013 - 12:22 AM, said:

I do feel threatened a bit, I'll admit, because I know I come across as cheery, egocentric, and very much centered on me self. I know I can't come in here and say 'well, I'm just a very confused girl about my lot in life because I know my life's not worth two dog turds and a broken button compared to people who have more or less then I do, what makes me special?' What does pretty little Hasina need to worry about? How other's perceive her? Pollocks! She's pretty! Why should she worry, she's nice! She must have it all to be so personable. This is were the self-analyzation stops, whywhywhywhywhy, I will always ask myself. I'm tired of me self, I don't like me, I was a hard ass as a child, a dishonest girl as a teenager, now I spend my days making costumes, adding up numbers, and arguing about things I can't prove because I have my ass glued to a chair.

In conclusion, I hide this all by being the Ego y'all like, because I want y'all to be happy with me, not bored to tears, not thinking 'what a whiner'. I wish to entertain, I wish to make y'all happy, when y'all laugh at my jokes, at the links I provide, it gives me the purpose (porpoise? I did use a fish pun with 'pollocks'...) I enjoy in life, making others happy.

Is it possible the True Self  of me is my Ego and vice versa? If so, is it unhelathy, just different, or is it a convenient excuse to put on wigs?

You're young Hasina (of course you know that...dur) Speaking for most of the people on this forum, you're closer to 'the inner child' than the rest of us are.

Everyone. Do you remember when you were young and you were literally and figuratively 'the center of the world'? Hasina, you're closer to that than almost everyone else here is.

No one will begrudge you, everybody envies your youth and energy however. :)

Your also self effacing, honest and creative. What's not to like?

#93    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 08 January 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

After the Buzzkill conversation yesterday i have thought more about how others percieve me and the more astute members would have noticed i changed my avatar from Buzzkillington the Third, but still don't have a name which suits me more. So i am (obviously) sticking with the whole Buzzkill theme for now.

I thought the name reflected me quite well as i enjoyed getting into debate by arguing from the unothodox viewpoint (i.e Gaddafi wasn't a bad leader) which most people have an immediate reaction to. This enables me to come back with facts against peoples preconcieved notions, whilst giving my ego a boost for being so clever!

I must say that all this introversion is a tad unsettling.Well at least my ego thinks so, and all this talk about it is getting it worried.
:tsu:
So that's you & Hasina who've made changes to your on-line alter ego's as a result of actually noticeing your Egos!
Awesome!!! Now for the hard question... If you've notice your own Ego (through introspection) then shouldn't you be asking youself, err, okay, that's weird, I've noticed by Ego and but who's doing that noticing?".........."My true self?"

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 08 January 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

Is there any tried and tested techniques to controlling ego? Should it be controlled? Surely introversion and reflection will just lead to more doubts about how you are percieved and therefore hide your true personality behind the veil of conformity?

Dang, not sure if I am capable of answering this. I know My Ego is fairly strong, and like I said before, I'm no expert beause Ego is something I'm struggling with.. Hope I'm corrected if I'm wrong, but here goes..

Ego is a false center. It is the result of living with others.. It's a need, a social need to be accepted and liked and such.. Society builds your Ego and your ego is strengthened by society and how society reflects back on you.. Ego however is not the real you because Ego is a reflection of society.. Ego needs to be fed and pampered and told that it' fits into society.. It's contionuously seeking attention and it uses the outside world and others to justify it's existence..

Yes. Imo Ego must be understood and controlled. But the first steps in doing that is Introspection and unserstanding your self, your emotions and the essence of the real You. YOU control your Ego.. Don't let others control or manipulate it because as I've proven so far, Ego is pretty damn predictable when you start ot understand it.

There are tried and tested techniques for controlling Ego. Meditation and introspection are key to understanding Ego.. And Ego can be removed altogether..  You can't drop your ego because that what would cause the formation of a suptle ego.. But If you keep asking yourself Who am I, most of the time the answers you give yourself will be your name, what you do, how the world see's and percieves you, and those answers wont be the real you.. But eventually the real your will start to emerge. The more you question yourself, the more you're true self will grow to understanding Ego. Understanding Ego is how you get rid of it..

But here's the killer.. Seeing Ego in others is Easy.. Seeing it in your self a damn sight harder..

#94    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 8,302 posts

Choose your weapon.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

Okay, let's stick Mr. Likely Bug under the microscope.

I came from a small loving family with lots of support. Not rich, not poor. In my teens I found out that family wasn't normal. Not even my extended family. On my Mom's side my grandparents physically hugged all their visitors, family as well as strangers. The hugs extended from there to my Dad's family, which were Mennonite's (true story) and it grew from there.

I have a very strong ego.

When it comes to this forum, I'll give anyone's thought the benefit of the doubt. If I'm in a discussion with someone, after I expressed my thoughts, I don't care to carry it on much further than that, because that's what becomes a 'debate', then an 'argument'. I hold no beliefs strongly enough to get into an argument.

Except when it becomes a case of sexism, racism, homophobia or the like. I can't stand that. Why do I care? I don't know. I'm not a female, a visible minority or homo/bi/trans sexual. But someone criticising what another does legally in those regards, makes my blood boil. (Why not same sex marriage? ...and don't give me 'the Bible says', that's a 2,000 year old, out dated argument... I'm sorry, I digress. :)

I am quietly critical. Introspective. More willing to bend, than break. More than willing to help those that try, than those that don't. Until, someone hit's bottom, then I feel obligated to help.

Did I mention that I get an inordinate number of visitors? 2-3 in the winter time each day, 5 to 6 in the summer?

#95    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

As much as I want to shake my head and dismiss this idea, it does strike a cord. I want to defend myself somehow, for whatever reason, but then I start to think 'is that my Ego wanting to be defended or...?'

Hehe, I am at the forefront of this type of people. I'll agree, many of my short, snark, or cute posts are meant to just be read as that, but when we're overloaded with such news as the possible death toll in Syria being over 60,000, people arguing day in and day out about gun control while no one wants to confront any of the other issues also swarming around it, I just hope this snark, this short witisim sticks with them and cheers them up.

Actually, lol, I've been waiting for a friend to send me the picture he's picked. I do feel threatened a bit, I'll admit, because I know I come across as cheery, egocentric, and very much centered on me self. I know I can't come in here and say 'well, I'm just a very confused girl about my lot in life because I know my life's not worth two dog turds and a broken button compared to people who have more or less then I do, what makes me special?' What does pretty little Hasina need to worry about? How other's perceive her? Pollocks! She's pretty! Why should she worry, she's nice! She must have it all to be so personable. This is were the self-analyzation stops, whywhywhywhywhy, I will always ask myself. I'm tired of me self, I don't like me, I was a hard ass as a child, a dishonest girl as a teenager, now I spend my days making costumes, adding up numbers, and arguing about things I can't prove because I have my ass glued to a chair.

In conclusion, I hide this all by being the Ego y'all like, because I want y'all to be happy with me, not bored to tears, not thinking 'what a whiner'. I wish to entertain, I wish to make y'all happy, when y'all laugh at my jokes, at the links I provide, it gives me the purpose (porpoise? I did use a fish pun with 'pollocks'...) I enjoy in life, making others happy.

Is it possible the True Self of me is my Ego and vice versa? If so, is it unhelathy, just different, or is it a convenient excuse to put on wigs?

Awesome stuff! :tsu:
Ego is a false center. It's not the real you..
Understanding it is key and what you've written here tells me that you're quite adept at self analysis and have a damn good head on your shoulders.. You are asking the right questions which is excellent.. And I think you are comming to realise that these questions can't be answered by anyone other than your self..

This is were the self-analyzation stops, whywhywhywhywhy, I will always ask myself. I'm tired of me self, I don't like me, I was a hard ass as a child, a dishonest girl as a teenager, now I spend my days making costumes, adding up numbers, and arguing about things I can't prove because I have my ass glued to a chair.

Is it possible the True Self of me is my Ego and vice versa? If so, is it unhelathy, just different, or is it a convenient excuse to put on wigs?
Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! piece of self analysis here!  But here is some advice that I hope will help..
  • What anyone outside of you percieves about you doesn't matter..
  • Keep asking your self questions.. But Learn how to listen for an answer though Meditation.. (takes patience, I'm not that good at it but know others here are..)
Edited to add: Ego is created by pressure from the outside world.. If you want to remove and control your ego, understand it from within.. But don't feel pressured to do anything if you don't want to.. Personally I like your ego the way it is, but what I or anyone else thinks means nothing.. You own it..

Edited by Professor T, 09 January 2013 - 03:44 AM.

#96    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 2,208 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

Kanye West refers to his penis as his ego. Relevant?

Ego is good (not referring to penis there). It's healthy to think highly of yourself. Also important to be happy with yourself.

Posted Image

#97    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 8,302 posts

Choose your weapon.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:39 AM

View PostTimonthy, on 09 January 2013 - 03:30 AM, said:

Kanye West refers to his penis as his ego. Relevant?

Ego is good (not referring to penis there). It's healthy to think highly of yourself. Also important to be happy with yourself.

1st point: No. Kanye West, is Kanye West. Unless, unbeknowst to me, he's been raised to the level of one of the great thinkers of the last decade.

2nd point: Yes. A healthy ego, is a strong ego. :)

#98    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:42 AM

View PostSean93, on 09 January 2013 - 02:11 AM, said:

Suppose someone where to make a fake account or two and use them from another location and IP address...and give themselves all the likes...
Posted Image

Sean93..
A cynical and sceptical post.
Someone who finds it difficult to place his trust in others..
12th on the most likes standings with 307 posts & 107 likes..

#99    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:48 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 09 January 2013 - 03:42 AM, said:

Sean93..
A cynical and sceptical post.
Someone who finds it difficult to place his trust in others..
12th on the most likes standings with 307 posts & 107 likes..

Wait...did you just invade my ego?

Do you mean that specific post is Cynical and Skeptical or did you mean that I am that kind of 'Poster'?

Edited by Sean93, 09 January 2013 - 03:51 AM.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#100    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:57 AM

View PostSean93, on 09 January 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

Wait...did you just invade my ego?

Do you mean that specific post is Cynical and Skeptical or did you mean that I am that kind of 'Poster'?
That's what I read from your post & as a result was the impression I got about you.
The intention or feel behind the post you made was Cynical and Skeptical in nature.

Was I right?

Want to see if you can pick apart Timonthy's on-line alter-Ego?

Edited by Professor T, 09 January 2013 - 04:07 AM.

#101    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:12 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 09 January 2013 - 03:57 AM, said:

That's what I read from your post & as a result was the impression I got about you.
The intention or feel behind the post you made was Cynical and Skeptical in nature.

Was I right?

Want to see if you can pick apart Timonthy's on-like alter-Ego?

You were right indeed...about it all actually, I've been described as a cynic before...cool.

As for Timothy, I could try:
From his witty post and endorsement of being happy with himself and having an ego, I'd say he's a pretty confident guy in what he does.
Part of my guess stems from his profile photo, Looks like he's having a good time; he's neat and suave and I'm pretty sure he gets attention from the girls which can only boost his ego and confidence and thus, making such happiness a natural part of his life, building his opinion of being egotistical = good.  Something tells me he's quite popular which again, could lead to his happiness and confidence...or maybe I'm just being an idiot and letting my mind run riot about a stranger!

#102    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:39 AM

View PostTimonthy, on 09 January 2013 - 03:30 AM, said:

Ego is the product of society, and as such it can be either good or Bad..
But I think the worse thing about Ego, which makes me personally believe that it's a very bad thing is the fact that Ego's are very easily manipulated, whereas the true self cannot be manipulated.. Having a healthy balance is key to stopping other people manipulating you though ticking or threatening your ego..  Healthy Ego's are under their individuals control. Unhealthy Ego's are hard to control and to damn loud.. You should have enough ego to have self confidence and to get noticed or get your points across.. But not so much Ego that people roll their eyes when you enter a room singing "oh lord it's hard to be humble, when your perfect in every way!"

P.S..
Sean93 had a go at figuring out you Ego.. Was he on the money? I think he nailed your ego..

Edited by Professor T, 09 January 2013 - 05:41 AM.

#103    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 8,302 posts

Choose your weapon.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:47 AM

It also helps where you're posting.

The writer's thread doles out 'likes', like candy.

The conspiracy thread, on the other hand... They are meted out begrudgingly like ill-begotten razor blades imbedded in a caramel apple.

Edited: Because my offline ego can't abide by my online ego's spelling. :)

Edited by Likely Guy, 09 January 2013 - 05:52 AM.

#104    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:08 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 09 January 2013 - 02:36 AM, said:

Everyone. Do you remember when you were young and you were literally and figuratively 'the center of the world'? Hasina, you're closer to that than almost everyone else here is.
yes..
The world was mine! It was big and beautifull and everything in it existed because of me.. It was truely Magic..
Then things went wrong.. Things happened in my world I didn't like, the beauty started to belong to other people, the Magic died..

View PostLikely Guy, on 09 January 2013 - 03:12 AM, said:

Okay, let's stick Mr. Likely Bug under the microscope.

I came from a small loving family with lots of support. Not rich, not poor. In my teens I found out that family wasn't normal. Not even my extended family. On my Mom's side my grandparents physically hugged all their visitors, family as well as strangers. The hugs extended from there to my Dad's family, which were Mennonite's (true story) and it grew from there.

I have a very strong ego.

When it comes to this forum, I'll give anyone's thought the benefit of the doubt. If I'm in a discussion with someone, after I expressed my thoughts, I don't care to carry it on much further than that, because that's what becomes a 'debate', then an 'argument'. I hold no beliefs strongly enough to get into an argument.

Except when it becomes a case of sexism, racism, homophobia or the like. I can't stand that. Why do I care? I don't know. I'm not a female, a visible minority or homo/bi/trans sexual. But someone criticising what another does legally in those regards, makes my blood boil. (Why not same sex marriage? ...and don't give me 'the Bible says', that's a 2,000 year old, out dated argument... I'm sorry, I digress. :)

I am quietly critical. Introspective. More willing to bend, than break. More than willing to help those that try, than those that don't. Until, someone hit's bottom, then I feel obligated to help.

Did I mention that I get an inordinate number of visitors? 2-3 in the winter time each day, 5 to 6 in the summer?

I'm going to go out on a limb and add something that I think your Ego didn't want you to expose, and doesn't want to admit too..
You are easily lead a-stray...

Am I right?

View PostLikely Guy, on 09 January 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

It also helps where you're posting.

The writer's thread doles out 'likes', like candy.

The conspiracy thread, on the other hand... They are meted out begrudgingly like ill-begotten razor blades imbedded in a caramel apple.

Edited: Because my offline ego can't abide by my online ego's spelling. :)

Ooooooo, I'm so glad you've noticed this too..

Folks,
  Writers & Artist have Super Egos that are incredibly easy to bruise..
If you want proof, wander off to the Writers and Artists Hangout Thread, pick a random poem or work of art and post "This is awefull I hate it!" & see what happens.. :lol:

But don't do it to any of my art or poems.. :angry:

#105    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 8,302 posts

Choose your weapon.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 09 January 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and add something that I think your Ego didn't want you to expose, and doesn't want to admit too..
You are easily lead a-stray...

Am I right?

Not so much. The one's that want to lead me astray, I give them a very short leash.

I'll see you again in the poet's thread, when I feel so compelled! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users