Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Paranoia Feeding American Gun Culture

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#46    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,613 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

View PostMichelle, on 10 January 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

What guys...all I can see is a blank box. :hmm:

xxwww.youtube.com/watch?v=L-Djb8JSPXU

Remove the two x before pasting it into your browser.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#47    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,732 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

View PostMichelle, on 10 January 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

I'm an idiot on the computer...can someone shoot me a link instead? :blush:
Here ya goesies....LINK

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#48    joc

joc

• 12,732 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

I thought it was interesting that the guy says...(about carrying one in your belt and one in your ankle holster) If you get disarmed...they never think you have a second weapon...everytime I've had to pull out my ankle gun, they were always shocked....

...or something similiar to that...so...why would this guy have to pull out his ankle gun so often?  Curious minds want to know.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#49    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,613 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

View Postjoc, on 10 January 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

I thought it was interesting that the guy says...(about carrying one in your belt and one in your ankle holster) If you get disarmed...they never think you have a second weapon...everytime I've had to pull out my ankle gun, they were always shocked....

...or something similiar to that...so...why would this guy have to pull out his ankle gun so often?  Curious minds want to know.

Like all hunters they shot a 200 pound rabbit...

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#50    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

View Postninjadude, on 08 January 2013 - 12:52 AM, said:

I found this an apt description of the differences between "gun culture" and the rest of us.

You say it as if they are fringe kooks. 47% is not a subculture, that's almost half the country, probably than more if you count all those who don't report.

Posted Image

#51    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,023 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

View Postjoc, on 10 January 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

Thanks guys. ;)

I was wondering about that too, joc.

He has a good point about being of a mindset your life is more important and unless you have come to the conclusion that you can kill another human having a gun is no good to you. Due to unfortunate circumstances, I had to come to that realization many years ago. I did a lot of soul searching, but when it comes down to them or me and my loved ones...it's going to be them.  But, like most cops will tell you, they don't look forward to the day they ever have to shoot and kill someone. Even they get counseling and time off afterwards.

#52    The Unseen

The Unseen

Poltergeist

• 2,774 posts

• Whats out there?

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

View Postjoc, on 09 January 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

Guns are cool.  And all of these people who say...you'll have to pry them from my cold, dead hands...not so much.  When push comes to shove the vast majority will register their guns and think it is a good idea.  And if the government banns certain guns...the vast majority will turn them over and think it is  a good thing...because the vast majority of Americans are Proles.
:td: :td: :td:  Oh and did I forget :td: :td: :td:

#53    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,872 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

Where did this plague of majority rulers come from?  We really want to pretend that as soon as you're in the group that's 49% or less, you lose the right to do whatever that minority thinks?   These illegal Americans would have us all in chains.  How unstable would a society become when our rights are dependent on the kool aid flavor of the month?   The meandering opinion polls that change constantly?   Are you people serious?   Let's just pack the rest of our manufacturing base up and send it to China and we'll buy from them according to what the 51% can agree on today?   Un freaking believable.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#54    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,559 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

View Postjoc, on 10 January 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

What concern is it of yours if I want to own enough fire power for a small militia?  What concern is it of the Governments?  If I am breaking the law otherwise, it might be.   But just the mere fact that one possesses a large amount of fire power and ammunition does not make them a criminal....and that is exactly what the Government Plan is...to make that criminal.  The Constitution doesn't limit the amount of arms one can have...only that the right to possess them shall not be infringed.  The Government is now trying to INFRINGE....that is the whole problem...it is UNCONSTITUTIONAL....and if you want to change the Constitution, there is a way to do that constitutionally...if you want to scrap the Constitution...Welcome To the New Age for real!
Noone ever considers that it might be just plain old fun if you have the money, the permits and the land to own and fire off a machine gun which I imagine is a ridiculously expensive hobby the few partake in and even fewer who own them ever do use them as most probably are just collectors. I doubt any legal machine gun owners have a machine gun for home defense and even if they did who cares? A dead bad guy is a dead bad guy big gun or little and the destruction you could cause on your house with an M-16 is reason enough to use a smaller sidearm.
So many of these antigunners are fixated on semi-auto rifles, especially the AR 15 which I hear uses relatively small caliber rounds. I really don't know TBH. But what's the drastic difference between an semiauto rifle and a semiauto handgun besides possible clip size. It would take all if 2 seconds to switch between two 15 round handgun clips. I think it's the word 'auto' that scares them, semi or not. A revolver holds less bullets but you can still fire them off as fast as you can pull the trigger. Bottom line is these people who think they know what too much fire power is dont know what the hell they're even talking about.

Joc, I'm just bs'n and not necessarily asking you all these questions...

View Postquestionmark, on 10 January 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

Unless she did the sensible thing: practice every now and then. She would hardly have needed 5 slugs per goon.

Aside from soldiers and law enforcement I don't think the average citizen should be ridiculed for not having enough practice when it comes to these situations. I'm not saying they shouldn't be well versed in safety standards. Imagine your just minding your own business with 3 kids, or whatever, in the house on an ordinary day like any other and some one with bad intent busts down your door and puts you in such a nerve racking situation. It's a big thing to even be able to pull the trigger at all. I know you didn't exactly say this but when certain people hear things like your comment above they take it as she shouldn't have a gun in the first place and the cops, that she never had time to call anyway, should've dealt with it. Just cause she needed five shots to take this dude down doesn't mean she should have the right and the means to try.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-, 10 January 2013 - 09:35 PM.

Posted Image

#55    joc

joc

• 12,732 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 10 January 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

Noone ever considers that it might be just plain old fun if you have the money, the permits and the land to own and fire off a machine gun which I imagine is a ridiculously expensive hobby the few partake in and even fewer who own them ever do use them as most probably are just collectors. I doubt any legal machine gun owners have a machine gun for home defense and even if they did who cares? A dead bad guy is a dead bad guy big gun or little and the destruction you could cause on your house with an M-16 is reason enough to use a smaller sidearm.
So many of these antigunners are fixated on semi-auto rifles, especially the AR 15 which I hear uses relatively small caliber rounds. I really don't know TBH. But what's the drastic difference between an semiauto rifle and a semiauto handgun besides possible clip size. It would take all if 2 seconds to switch between two 15 round handgun clips. I think it's the word 'auto' that scares them, semi or not. A revolver holds less bullets but you can still fire them off as fast as you can pull the trigger. Bottom line is these people who think they know what too much fire power is dont know what the hell they're even talking about.

Joc, I'm just bs'n and not necessarily asking you all these questions...

Aside from soldiers and law enforcement I don't think the average citizen should be ridiculed for not having enough practice when it comes to these situations. I'm not saying they shouldn't be well versed in safety standards. Imagine your just minding your own business with 3 kids, or whatever, in the house on an ordinary day like any other and some one with bad intent busts down your door and puts you in such a nerve racking situation. It's a big thing to even be able to pull the trigger at all. I know you didn't exactly say this but when certain people hear things like your comment above they take it as she shouldn't have a gun in the first place and the cops, that she never had time to call anyway, should've dealt with it. Just cause she needed five shots to take this dude down doesn't mean she should have the right and the means to try.
I never practice.  I do however know in my heart that I am well prepared to shoot and kill any number of intruders that break into my house.  I don't want to kill anyone...ever.  But I would in a New York Heartbeat.

My Uncle was an avid gunsmith, collector, all around good guy.  He taught me a couple of things that I will never forget: First...there is no such thing as an 'unloaded' gun.   Second:  Don't point a gun at anyone unless you are going to kill them with it.  Don't ever try to 'wound' someone...if  you are going to shoot them...shoot to kill.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#56    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

I've never owned a gun, but this debate makes me want to go out and buy one just to antagonize self-righteous politicians who keep telling everyone what to do. Maybe this is what's fueling gun sales?

Posted Image

#57    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

View PostOrder66, on 10 January 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

I've never owned a gun, but this debate makes me want to go out and buy one just to antagonize self-righteous politicians who keep telling everyone what to do. Maybe this is what's fueling gun sales?

Hell yes it is.  I've never considered an assault rifle but am now.  No one is going to tell me I can't.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#58    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,559 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

View Postjoc, on 10 January 2013 - 09:43 PM, said:

I never practice.  I do however know in my heart that I am well prepared to shoot and kill any number of intruders that break into my house.  I don't want to kill anyone...ever.  But I would in a New York Heartbeat.

My Uncle was an avid gunsmith, collector, all around good guy.  He taught me a couple of things that I will never forget: First...there is no such thing as an 'unloaded' gun.   Second:  Don't point a gun at anyone unless you are going to kill them with it.  Don't ever try to 'wound' someone...if  you are going to shoot them...shoot to kill.
Hey good for you. The last one is tough though. I don't own, yet, but if someone kicks down my door and I was packing I'd aim at center mass given that I hold my composure and hope I didn't kill them. I'm not sure I could aim at someone's head and shoot. It's such an unpredictable and circumstantial event that who knows what the heck I would or could do. This scenario is they kick the door down and I'm right there to greet them. If it were an all out attack on me or anyone else in the house, including my dog, I'd hope to be more aggressive and determined.

View PostOrder66, on 10 January 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

I couldn't agree more. I feel the same. My lady isn't so keen but now when I bring it up I get 'you do what you want' in the your in for a long guilt trip tone of voice only a woman can produce. Anyhow, yes the liberals are agitating big time. They looking for a violent reaction. Instead they're just getting more people like you and I fired up to rail against them. They're also being out people like these guys who are out showing what open carry really looks like...
http://www.theblaze....oint-good-idea/ OREGON MEN OPENLY CARRY RIFLES AROUND PORTLAND NEIGHBORHOOD TO MAKE POINT — GOOD IDEA?
I'm not sure that's what I really want to see as a norm but its not illegal and as usual, that's liberalism producing the exact opposite of its stated intent, ie: me, you, 100K new NRA members in a couple weeks, these guys in Oregon...

Posted Image

#59    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,023 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 10 January 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

Hey good for you. The last one is tough though. I don't own, yet, but if someone kicks down my door and I was packing I'd aim at center mass given that I hold my composure and hope I didn't kill them. I'm not sure I could aim at someone's head and shoot. It's such an unpredictable and circumstantial event that who knows what the heck I would or could do. This scenario is they kick the door down and I'm right there to greet them. If it were an all out attack on me or anyone else in the house, including my dog, I'd hope to be more aggressive and determined.

Unless you are sure what you could do you don't need a gun, dear. You don't shoot at someone hoping you don't kill them. If it comes down to you or them, you have to know what you will do and have to shoot to kill. You don't aim for the head because the odds are against you with it being the smaller target. You never shoot at someone without the intent to kill. Even police don't think like that. Shooting a leg to stop them from coming at you is only for the movies.

#60    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,559 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostMichelle, on 10 January 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

Unless you are sure what you could do you don't need a gun, dear. You don't shoot at someone hoping you don't kill them. If it comes down to you or them, you have to know what you will do and have to shoot to kill. You don't aim for the head because the odds are against you with it being the smaller target. You never shoot at someone without the intent to kill. Even police don't think like that. Shooting a leg to stop them from coming at you is only for the movies.
My good conscience has a way of speaking out sometimes. I could absolutely shoot someone if I needed to. I never want to and if I did, say it was just a relatively harmless thief, I would hope he didn't die. Believe me I'd do the right thing but I just don't find it easy to say I could kill somebody without a second thought.
Being real though, more than anything I just like to shoot targets. It's fun. Defense is a bonus use. ATM it's about being told by the left what I can and can't own and what is and isn't good for me. Then again, when don't they do that?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users