Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Paranoia Feeding American Gun Culture

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#76    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,754 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:51 AM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 10 January 2013 - 11:26 PM, said:

My good conscience has a way of speaking out sometimes. I could absolutely shoot someone if I needed to. I never want to and if I did, say it was just a relatively harmless thief, I would hope he didn't die. Believe me I'd do the right thing but I just don't find it easy to say I could kill somebody without a second thought.
Being real though, more than anything I just like to shoot targets. It's fun. Defense is a bonus use. ATM it's about being told by the left what I can and can't own and what is and isn't good for me. Then again, when don't they do that?
You just hang on to your pellet gun brother...you don't have the mindset for killing anyone even in self defense and it is obvious...that's not a bad thing, it's just the way it is.  There is no such thing as a relatively harmless thief!  If someone breaks into your house...they will kill you...it might not be their intent...might have just been to take your TV for a fix...but if you are there and confront them...just remember if someone has the testicles to break into your house...regardless of their age...they have the same to kill you.  :)

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#77    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:58 AM

View Postjoc, on 12 January 2013 - 03:51 AM, said:

You just hang on to your pellet gun brother...you don't have the mindset for killing anyone even in self defense and it is obvious...that's not a bad thing, it's just the way it is.  There is no such thing as a relatively harmless thief!  If someone breaks into your house...they will kill you...it might not be their intent...might have just been to take your TV for a fix...but if you are there and confront them...just remember if someone has the testicles to break into your house...regardless of their age...they have the same to kill you.  :)

That's not what the cops told me when investigating a robbery 1 week ago.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#78    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,582 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

View Postjoc, on 12 January 2013 - 03:51 AM, said:

Gimme a break Joc. Some of you guys are acting as if killing is no big deal. Maybe not if you've done it before but all I'm saying is how I think I'd feel and think. It's really hard to say anything about a situation I've never been in before and a lot of people find it all too easy to say a lot of things about situations they haven't been in before. I don't talk the talk if I can't walk the walk and I also don't talk the talk about situations I've never been in before. I call that bull****ting. I'm just being honest but believe me, no one is going to roll over on me or my house without a fight. Doesn't mean I shouldn't own one if I wanted.

Posted Image

#79    joc

joc

• 12,754 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

View PostStellar, on 12 January 2013 - 04:58 AM, said:

That's not what the cops told me when investigating a robbery 1 week ago.
What did the cops tell you Stellar?

Gimme a break Joc. Some of you guys are acting as if killing is no big deal. Maybe not if you've done it before but all I'm saying is how I think I'd feel and think. It's really hard to say anything about a situation I've never been in before and a lot of people find it all too easy to say a lot of things about situations they haven't been in before. I don't talk the talk if I can't walk the walk and I also don't talk the talk about situations I've never been in before. I call that bull****ting. I'm just being honest but believe me, no one is going to roll over on me or my house without a fight. Doesn't mean I shouldn't own one if I wanted.
Break given! :)  You are absolutely right...talk is cheap...and if you haven't been in that situation you really don't know how you would act...and I haven't so...pretty much, yeah...just bs-ing...
...I think a good analogy is going to court.  Regardless of why you are going to court, traffic ticket or something more serious; when you start thinking about what you are going to say to the judge, you play out this 'court scene' in your head...but then...when you actually get to court, it is nothing like what you thought and everything you thought you would say is irrelevant.
So...again...you are right.  Talk is cheap.  And anyone who has never been in that situation...me included is just 'talking'.  My hope is that none of us ever have to face a moment like that.  My point really in all of the 'talking' is that if you are 'in the moment' facing an intruder inside of your house, you do not really have much of a luxury of having a conversation with them about why they are there.  The fact that they are there at all to me is a threat...and my thinking (talking) is annihilate the threat.   So, my advice to all would be intruders...if you don't want to get shot...don't break into someone's house.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#80    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Joc, they told me that when confronted they're likely to run.

----Seraphina

#81    joc

joc

• 12,754 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

View PostStellar, on 12 January 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

Joc, they told me that when confronted they're likely to run.
Yeah, I can see that.  That would be the natural instinct.  And, if someone went running for the door, I probably would not shoot them in the back because, the natural instinct there would be not to.

The laws in Texas may have changed...it's been 15 years since I took the concealed carry course...but the law then was, if someone is stealing your stuff and it is dark outside...and they are running from your house, you can use deadly force...if it is dark.  To which our instructor told us that if it was his Kabota Tractor going down the road he might start shooting...but if it is your Boom Box or TV running down the street...you might want to reconsider that because even though you have the legal right to shoot them...their family also has the legal right to sue you in Civil Court to which you might lose very, very big and end up selling your house and your Kabota tractor.

Edited by joc, 12 January 2013 - 02:44 PM.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#82    DoesntReallyLike

DoesntReallyLike

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

View Postjoc, on 12 January 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

.but if it is your Boom Box or TV running down the street...you might want to reconsider that because even though you have the legal right to shoot them...their family also has the legal right to sue you in Civil Court to which you might lose very, very big and end up selling your house and your Kabota tractor.

Fool's talkin about TVs runnin down the street ... the man's nuts ... don't give guns to crazy people.

#83    joc

joc

• 12,754 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

View PostDoesntReallyLike, on 12 January 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

Fool's talkin about TVs runnin down the street ... the man's nuts ... don't give guns to crazy people.
Are you really an angry black man?

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#84    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,582 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

View Postjoc, on 12 January 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

What did the cops tell you Stellar?

Break given! :)  You are absolutely right...talk is cheap...and if you haven't been in that situation you really don't know how you would act...and I haven't so...pretty much, yeah...just bs-ing...
...I think a good analogy is going to court.  Regardless of why you are going to court, traffic ticket or something more serious; when you start thinking about what you are going to say to the judge, you play out this 'court scene' in your head...but then...when you actually get to court, it is nothing like what you thought and everything you thought you would say is irrelevant.
So...again...you are right.  Talk is cheap.  And anyone who has never been in that situation...me included is just 'talking'.  My hope is that none of us ever have to face a moment like that.  My point really in all of the 'talking' is that if you are 'in the moment' facing an intruder inside of your house, you do not really have much of a luxury of having a conversation with them about why they are there.  The fact that they are there at all to me is a threat...and my thinking (talking) is annihilate the threat.   So, my advice to all would be intruders...if you don't want to get shot...don't break into someone's house.
Glad we found common ground. I just rather not talk a lot of **** incase I end up eating it. Circumstances arise and circumstances are dealt with when they do. How that goes, nobody knows.
I think your court analogy is perfect. Actually it hits home. Several years back I sued my landlord for not returning my security deposit. At the time I was really counting on that money. He counter sued. Whatever. So ya, I was playing out a big scenario that never played out. Honest to god, I thought court was going to be like Judge Judy and every other afternoon court show. Boy was I wrong. I get there and it's the judge, myself and my landlord. Oh yeah, the ***** brought his mom with him. A bickering little old lady whom I've never met was there to be his lead witness testifying to my horrible tenant ways. She kept chiming in with such zingers as 'well I never' and 'you shoulda seen it your honor'. It was funny but annoying at the time. Point is, on the TV shows the judge leads off with questions and you pretty much answer them and you get a feel for how things are going as it goes along. That would have been such a nice and helpful guide. However in reality, the judge pretty much pitted us against eachother and had us bicker it out all while asking very few questions. I wasnt guided like I hoped. I stumbled and bumbled and so did he. I won, haha. Not as much as was was suing for but it was the principal of the matter. I was right. The douche never paid but I was still right.

Posted Image

#85    DoesntReallyLike

DoesntReallyLike

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

View Postjoc, on 12 January 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

Are you really an angry black man?

'Angry' doesn't begin to describe how I feel when I think about the hell my brothers and sisters have endured under the oppressive white rule of the Divided States. 400 years of slavery, Jim Crow laws, and now they're targeting us again us by allowing these guns to enter our urban communities to destroy us.

Edited by DoesntReallyLike, 14 January 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#86    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

-Patton

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

View PostDoesntReallyLike, on 14 January 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

'Angry' doesn't begin to describe how I feel when I think about the hell my brothers and sisters have endured under the oppressive white rule of the Divided States. 400 years of slavery, Jim Crow laws, and now they're targeting us again us by allowing these guns to enter our urban communities to destroy us.

Look, no one alive today was responsible for that slavery. Let's drop all this "oppressive white rule" crap.

----Seraphina

#87    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

View PostDoesntReallyLike, on 14 January 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

I saw Django Unchained too - cool movie.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#88    DoesntReallyLike

DoesntReallyLike

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

View PostStellar, on 14 January 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

Look, no one alive today was responsible for that slavery. Let's drop all this "oppressive white rule" crap.

The rage of my slave ancestors burns in my veins. My great grandparents burned to the ground the same mansion that their white slavemaster forced dhem to build with their bare hands, and my people today will do the same to the rest of this nation which the whites have built upon the backs of my people.

#89    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

View PostDoesntReallyLike, on 14 January 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

The rage of my slave ancestors burns in my veins. My great grandparents burned to the ground the same mansion that their white slavemaster forced dhem to build with their bare hands, and my people today will do the same to the rest of this nation which the whites have built upon the backs of my people.

Attached Files

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#90    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

-Patton

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

View PostDoesntReallyLike, on 14 January 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

What did "the whites" of this generation do to you? My guess is, as a collective, nothing. Let's stop looking at the world as black (people) and white (people) and start seeing it for what it really is: full of just people.

You're black, I'm white. Big deal. Were both human beings and what was done in the past was wrong, but the people of today didn't hold you or your great grandparents as slaves.

----Seraphina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users