Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Guns Do Not Kill People

• Please log in to reply
321 replies to this topic

#91    Theater of Dreams

Theater of Dreams

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 53 posts

• 'Open your eyes, Victoria!'

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:38 AM

Well... why not just increase the price of bullets a $h!t-load? That would keep them from being purchased in mass amounts, as you'd only need a few to defend yourself with, and it would raise suspicion if one were to buy, say 100 bullets with prices too high for the purchase to make logical sense at first glance. Just one approach I feel would make sense.

Something more relevant to the original post: I agree with many posts already made here stating that guns aren't so much the problem here, as it's more the people holding them.

Dream Theater

#92    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 12,054 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

View PostTheater of Dreams, on 15 January 2013 - 04:38 AM, said:

Well... why not just increase the price of bullets a $h!t-load? That would keep them from being purchased in mass amounts, as you'd only need a few to defend yourself with, and it would raise suspicion if one were to buy, say 100 bullets with prices too high for the purchase to make logical sense at first glance. Just one approach I feel would make sense.
If you're talking about a tax on bullets, a tax is used by government to generate revenue, not change behavior.   If you make something prohibitively expensive so nobody will buy it, there won't be any sales or revenue generated and it eliminates the purpose for having the tax in the first place.  

If you're not suggesting taxes, and suggesting that somehow government fix the prices on the market by forcing bullet manufacturers to sell their bullets at the prices the government says they have to so people won't buy that many of them (how expensive are we talking here anyway?), then rich people can have a lot more ammo than poor people.  If that's not bad enough then using the federal government to make the market and turning what should be free into even more force-control, is.   Prohibitive pricing is just another form of prohibition.  Government interfering in free markets is the essence of all the economic problems we have today, nevermind the fact that it's unconstitutional.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#93    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

Ive been reading a book on the run up to the Revolution War with England and its amazing what we accept as normal today. Have we lost our way in America ?

#94    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

View PostRavenHawk, on 14 January 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

It's nice to know you currently feel that way.  And it may never happen in your lifetime but maybe in your children's lifetime.  One day the government will come knocking as all governments do.  When given more and more power, that is the primary reason for the existence of government.  Instead of minding its own business and just run the government, it must harass the people to protect itself from them.  Most of the time, it's done with carrots but ever increasingly it's done by force to some level.  Either way, it is enslavement.

View PostYamato, on 14 January 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

And that's the liberal mindset that gets people so snippy about this issue.  Pull out some bogus caricature about the typical American gun owner and then ask ridiculous questions and come up with ridiculous answers.

You're obviously not a daughter from a family almost purged by Democide, so because of that and your alleged safe haven in Australia, you have to ask why anyone would need a gun?   Seriously?   Lincoln/Assad/Hirohito/Stalin/Mao/Pot/Hitler/Khan/King George III, etc. etc. etc. etc. didn't kill anyone until they did.   Governments go through perpetual change everywhere they exist.  Safe places become dangerous, neighborhoods and nations alike.

Why would a Syrian need a gun?  

McFly?

Bueller?

I don't live in fear. I don't live in a country full of gun toting rednecks. No, the government will NOT come knocking down my door, and I'm not afraid of my fellow Australian so much so I need to cower behind a huge gun collection! There is a reason Australia is the 2nd best country in the world to be born in (behind Switzerland) and I'm damn proud that we don't all need guns to feel safe.

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

#95    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,897 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

View PostAsteroidX, on 15 January 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

Ive been reading a book on the run up to the Revolution War with England and its amazing what we accept as normal today. Have we lost our way in America ?

What book is it, out of curiosity?

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#96    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

I don't live in fear. I don't live in a country full of gun toting rednecks. No, the government will NOT come knocking down my door, and I'm not afraid of my fellow Australian so much so I need to cower behind a huge gun collection! There is a reason Australia is the 2nd best country in the world to be born in (behind Switzerland) and I'm damn proud that we don't all need guns to feel safe.

The luxury of living on a desert Island I guess.

#97    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• 2,223 posts

• We don't need to conquer the world, we need to conquer our individual selves first. Then the world will be at peace.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 15 January 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

Nah, I think it's because they don't have as many hardcore crinimals over there, as we have over here. And when I say hardcore crinimals, I mean the ones that are armed and dangerous. They rather shoot your ass, then look at ya. Not to mention the individuals working for the Mexican cartels, that cross our borders. I don't care what anybody says, it's still the wild, wild west in some places here.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#98    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

View Postaztek, on 14 January 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

lol, so what stopped you? go ahead report.

It was reported and taken care of by Lilly.. And rightly so

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#99    RavenHawk

RavenHawk

Government Agent

• 3,401 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostZaraKitty, on 15 January 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

Again, Iím glad for you that you still live in a fantasy world Ė as long as it works for you, thatís all that matters.  For me, it is not the gun totting rednecks that I fear.  *ALL* governments eventually come knocking.  Itís just a matter of time.  We have a document that talks about that.  A portion says: ďand accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.Ē  The question becomes ďhow much becomes too muchĒ?  Why do we suffer so before taking action?

America is the best nation to be born in and I donít trust my fellow citizens.  I think when my generation is gone, no one will know or remember what Liberty and Freedom are.  Then Switzerland may end up being the best country to be born in??  Not needing guns is like walking across the street without looking.  Youíre safe until youíre hit.

*Signature removed* Forum Rules

#100    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

View PostRavenHawk, on 15 January 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

Again, I'm glad for you that you still live in a fantasy world
I don't live my life in fear either, I don't see the point.. I never sit and worry if someone will break in with a gun to kill us..We don't have guns...I get on with my every day life and take each day as it comes..  Fantasy world my foot..  You should consider that we all here are not living in fear... There are millions of your fellow American don't spend their days living in fear either..  What kind of life is that to lead?   You just get on with it and carry on like everyone else..

If I were living in some mad war zone, then yea sure, I would have fear..  Thankfully I don't and neither do you..  Otherwise you'd be clutching your bible and parking your weapons near by every day...Now that IS living in fear..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 15 January 2013 - 03:47 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#101    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

I think how much is too much is written just following that statement Ravenhaewk in the 30 points they laid out. How many of those can we check off today ? Are there other tyrranical behaviors being imposed on us ? How  much suffering should we endure.

In my mind we have crossed that threshold.

Edited by AsteroidX, 15 January 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#102    RavenHawk

RavenHawk

Government Agent

• 3,401 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostPurifier, on 15 January 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

Nah, I think it's because they don't have as many hardcore crinimals over there, as we have over here. And when I say hardcore crinimals, I mean the ones that are armed and dangerous. They rather shoot your ass, then look at ya. Not to mention the individuals working for the Mexican cartels, that cross our borders.
Actually it is.  But the Land of OZ is a continent and not an Island.  It is roughly the same land area as the Continental US.  However, the US has 300 million people and Australia only has about 20 million.  They have just as many hardcore criminals per capita that we do.  They just arenít as concentrated as they are here.  Just wait for them to hit about 100 million.

I don't care what anybody says, it's still the wild, wild west in some places here.
Thatís probably a more realistic world and more honest.

*Signature removed* Forum Rules

#103    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Well said. Australia hasnt even been pounded by Drug Cartels yet despite what they think. There subs will soon reach Auz and then theyll get a dose of real medicine.

#104    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

I live right on a beautiful sandy beach that is close to my university. This desert island is paradise.

View PostRavenHawk, on 15 January 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

Again, I'm glad for you that you still live in a fantasy world – as long as it works for you, that's all that matters.  For me, it is not the gun totting rednecks that I fear.  *ALL* governments eventually come knocking.  It's just a matter of time.  We have a document that talks about that.  A portion says: "and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."  The question becomes "how much becomes too much"?  Why do we suffer so before taking action?

America is the best nation to be born in and I don't trust my fellow citizens.  I think when my generation is gone, no one will know or remember what Liberty and Freedom are.  Then Switzerland may end up being the best country to be born in??  Not needing guns is like walking across the street without looking.  You're safe until you're hit.

America is 16th best country to be born in accroding to world stats. It hasn't been #1 since 1988
http://www.smh.com.a...20121128-2adk0.
http://www.huffingto..._n_2205270.html

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

#105    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Cant blame us for wanting to change that stat ZaraKitty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users