Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Is TRUTH?

soulpowertothenthdegree

312312.png

Truth is what we want it to be. There is absolute truth, based in fact. There is perceived truth based on faith. The truth based on fact is still what we perceive. The truth based on faith is not what others believe. If I tell you the truth, is it really the truth and the whole truth? If I swear on a Bible, does this make it the truth? If I read it in a book, does it make it the truth? If I see it in a movie, does it make it the truth? We believe and we perceive what we want to believe and perceive.

I can tell you what the truth is from my perspective and it is your choice to believe it or not. If I shoot a video of something and post it anywhere, there will be those that say, "oh that's photo shopped" or "hey that's a planet", etc. If I write a first hand account of an experience as the truth, there will be those that say, "that was in your head" or "you were drunk", etc.

The truth is...it really doesn't matter what others believe or perceive, it is the "FREE WILL" of all to decide what they want to recognize as truth. It doesn't change the "TRUTH", because in reality there can only be one truth, the rest is all subjective conjecture based on perception and belief.

SOUL

Edited by soulpowertothenthdegree
  • Like 8

Truth is what we want it to be. There is absolute truth, based in fact. There is perceived truth based on faith. The truth based on fact is still what we perceive. The truth based on faith is not what others believe. If I tell you the truth, is it really the truth and the whole truth? If I swear on a Bible, does this make it the truth? If I read it in a book, does it make it the truth? If I see it in a movie, does it make it the truth? We believe and we perceive what we want to believe and perceive.

I can tell you what the truth is from my perspective and it is your choice to believe it or not. If I shoot a video of something and post it anywhere, there will be those that say, "oh that's photo shopped" or "hey that's a planet", etc. If I write a first hand account of an experience as the truth, there will be those that say, "that was in your head" or "you were drunk", etc.

The truth is...it really doesn't matter what others believe or perceive, it is the "FREE WILL" of all to decide what they want to recognize as truth. It doesn't change the "TRUTH", because in reality there can only be one truth, the rest is all subjective conjecture based on perception and belief.

SOUL

There is no truth, everything just is. Only in our own human perception have we chosen to label things as 'True' and 'False' when in reality, life and the universe is indifferent to the 'Truth' and does not care or even acknowledge such a philosophical idea.

Edited by Sean93
  • Like 3

There is no truth, everything just is. Only in our own human perception have we chosen to label things as 'True' and 'False' when in reality, life and the universe is indifferent to the 'Truth' and does not care or even acknowledge such a philosophical idea.

Then what are you doing here replying?

I disagree. I seriously doubt that people who have cancer want that truth to be. I'm not even sure how far to go with 'we believe what we want to believe', that certainly is the case for some people on some subjects, but it's questionable how much 'belief' is a voluntary choice. I've perceived lots of things that I didn't want to.

Which is what some of 'those' should be saying. Some people photoshop things to mislead, and there is abundant evidence of people being just simply mistaken. Don't you also conclude that, 'that was in your head' or 'you're mistaken as to what your experience actually was' to some people who write first-hand accounts of an experience as the truth? I know that I don't just accept extraordinary claims just on people's say-so, there's tons of science showing how easily the brain can be deceived and how easily it is to come to erroneous conclusions, leaving aside that people also mislead intentionally.

The truth is...it really doesn't matter what others believe or perceive, it is the "FREE WILL" of all to decide what they want to recognize as truth.

If people just keep their beliefs and perceptions internal, then yes, perhaps sometimes it doesn't really matter. Unfortunately people's overconfidence in the validity in their beliefs and perceptions usually leads to actions, and those actions most definitely do matter.

It doesn't change the "TRUTH", because in reality there can only be one truth, the rest is all subjective conjecture based on perception and belief.

Including everything you've written here, including "It doesn't change the 'TRUTH', because in reality there can only be one truth"; that statement is also 'subjective conjecture based on perception and belief.'

Good topic!

Truth can be very elusive, especially when the public perception is manipulated so much.

Religious truth is really just dogma and faith, nothing more. Superstition rather than any validated truth.

Truth is observation.

Edit: To explain without being misinterpreted: If you're not currently observing it, if it's not currently happening, there's always a 1% chance it didn't happen.

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 2

Truth is fact not fiction

What is fact? Do you believe everything put forth as fact is truth? I don't. The fact is, things can be written and manipulated as "fact", when in fact they are lies presented as truth.

• Like 2

What is fact? Do you believe everything put forth as fact is truth? I don't. The fact is, things can be written and manipulated as "fact", when in fact they are lies presented as truth.

I think that was his point.

What you post reminds me in a way of Wikipedia. History is edited over time to comply with certain interpretations. Facts are eliminated, fudged, and otherwise manipulated to suit a particular agenda, it seems.

In my opinion, truth is null.. There is no objective truth. Truth is a construct; there can be no comprehensible truth for humanity.

I used to believe that truth was the actualization of events, but even then, on a molecular level, I realized every thing was occurring beyond the perception of humanity. I realized on quantum levels there are processes that occur. I realized that with the Universe and its expansiveness, there is a large realm of possibility for any thing. So, "truth" could be possibility... Or the actuality of possibility.

But that contradicts the Western idealism that concerns truth as such a romantic thing..

Then again, Postmodernism kind of wrecked the Renaissance definition of truth.

Things happen; matter reacts to more matter, and more things happen.

With the influx of human emotions, motivations, beliefs - there can be no more truth.

Edited by Eonwe
  • Like 3

1984 Webster: 1) Conformity to fact or actuality. 2) Fidelity to an original or standard. 3) Reality; actuality 4) A statement proven to be or accepted as true.

• Like 1

Did Einstein say "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one'', or is it an urban myth?

Certainly other philosophers have said more or less the same thing-

"We are such stuff as dreams are made on" - Shakespeare, The Tempest

"Strawberry Fields...nothing is real" - The Beatles

"Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?"- Morpheus, The Matrix.

"You can be in my dream if i can be in your dream" -Bob Dylan

And if this was a spirituality thread i'd even speculate that Jesus was a Master of the Art of Dream Manipulation, able to bend our "dream-reality" to produce what appeared to be "miracles"

He said :-"You hardly believe me when I tell you earthly things,so how would you believe me if I told you heavenly things?" (John 3:12)

• Like 4

Great topic. I believe that people's individual perceptions can very quickly become their individual realities.

Truth is based in the mind's acceptance of its consistency. Truth is consistent. That's why those of us who diligently study a topic are constantly questioning its truths/facts, finding them more consistent or less consistent, and coming to an informed hypothesis. I tend to perceive that more "truths" come from experienced sources.

This can backfire, of course, when we are lied to and the truth is manipulated. A false statement can be presented as truth and perceived as reality. A person's perception of reality does not necessarily allocate truth.

• Like 1

Great thread!! Here are some quotes about "Truth" that I particularly like:

The Truth is inseparable from who you are. Yes, you are the Truth. If you look for it elsewhere, you will be deceived every time.

ECKHART TOLLE, A New Earth

To hell with the truth! As the history of the world proves, the truth has no bearing on anything. It's irrelevant and immaterial, as the lawyers say. The lie of a pipe dream is what gives life to the whole misbegotten mad lot of us, drunk or sober.

EUGENE O'NEILL, The Iceman Cometh

Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing the matter with this, except that it ain't so.

MARK TWAIN, Mark Twain's Notebooks

What people believe prevails over the truth.

SOPHOCLES, The Sons of Aleus [fragment]

Personally, I don't give a rap for documents; for the truth in my eyes is not in them but in the mind.

LUIGI PIRANDELLO, It Is So! (If You Think So)

It is only those who are in constant revolt that discover what is true, not the man who conforms, who follows some tradition. It is only when you are constantly inquiring, constantly observing, constantly learning, that you find truth, God, or love.

JIDDU KRISHNAMURTI, Think on These Things

Belief in the truth commences with the doubting of all those “truths” we once believed.

FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE, "Truth Will Have No Other Gods Alongside It

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the deepest root of all evil that is in the world.

MAX BORN, as quoted in Judith Sherven's The New Intimac

• Like 3

I believe there is a precise truth in everything - not effected nor changed because someone believes differently. To use the law of gravity for example. It doesn't matter if someone believes it works just the opposite (drop something and it falls up)<their truth> or it works according to how each person perceives it will work. Bottom line - if you drop something, it will fall to the ground - it is the 'real' truth of the effect gravity will have on an object. Hope this makes sense. :unsure2: It is getting very late and my thought processes are slowing down. :sleepy:

• Like 3

Being able to recognize the truth depends on our ability to see clearly what is, and to react intelligently to that, and not to imagine it is something else out of our own desires.

(Modified from one of my other posts)

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

As a kid I was taught many things in school that were presented as fact, truth, only to realize the events in history are being distorted and told much differently than as they actually happened. I had to take test's based on these supposed facts, truths. I had to make passing grades to go to the next step, all based on lies posed as facts, truths. Just recently, I read an article that changed how they thing about gravity. Every day it seems more information comes out about something when we have been led to believe something else. We have millions of people that think every word in the Bible is based on truth. They "swear" by it. Really? The Bible was written in English? They don't have a clue how to interpret a language that doesn't exist, but they did and do. I just think people should use more common sense to differentiate that there are infinite possibilities and only one "TRUTH".

Truth is the actual event or words that were spoken not what you wish had been done or said.

The Blind Men and the Elephant

Well over one hundred years ago, an American poet put to rhyme an ancient parable.

Six men of Indostan

To learning much inclined,

Who went to see the Elephant

(Though all of them were blind),

That each by observation

Might satisfy his mind.

In the poem each of the six travelers takes hold of a different part of the elephant and then describes to the others what he has discovered.

One of the men finds the elephant’s leg and describes it as being round and rough like a tree. Another feels the tusk and describes the elephant as a spear. A third grabs the tail and insists that an elephant is like a rope. A fourth discovers the trunk and insists that the elephant is like a large snake.

Each is describing truth.

And because his truth comes from personal experience, each insists that he knows what he knows.

The poem concludes:

And so these men of Indostan

Disputed loud and long,

Each in his own opinion

Exceeding stiff and strong,

Though each was partly in the right,

And all were in the wrong!

^

That's a very old universal poem.

"In this world the light is dim, and so we see only part of truth ,as though we are looking through a glass darkly."

`The Apostle Paul

^

One of my favorite quotes .

Edited by Reann
  • Like 2

Truth is the actual event or words that were spoken not what you wish had been done or said.

Rarely is the truth actually spoken. What anyone wants the truth to be is certainly up to them, but the truth of any matter is rarely ever the actual truth as it really happened, EXACTLY. Regardless of what anyone wishes or says. The perception is not always TRUTH. If I witness something and I perceive it one way, and you witness something and perceive it another, it doesn't change the TRUTH, only the perception and perspective and the ability to translate what was seen to others in such a way as to have them believe it as the truth is merely having the ability to manipulate others to agree with your version of said events. Still, the TRUTH is not always believed and it is not always perceived the same way. The TRUTH I speak of is more to the actual foundation for life and the existence of our soul's.

I can say I know the TRUTH and you can tell me it is BS. Still, there is only one TRUTH.

• Like 2

Many say that there is no such thing as "truth" and that all is perception. But i think Truth is REALITY.. It IS what it IS. Our perceptions of truth don't alter it?

• Like 2

The Blind Men and the Elephant

Well over one hundred years ago, an American poet put to rhyme an ancient parable.

Six men of Indostan

To learning much inclined,

Who went to see the Elephant

(Though all of them were blind),

That each by observation

Might satisfy his mind.

In the poem each of the six travelers takes hold of a different part of the elephant and then describes to the others what he has discovered.

One of the men finds the elephant’s leg and describes it as being round and rough like a tree. Another feels the tusk and describes the elephant as a spear. A third grabs the tail and insists that an elephant is like a rope. A fourth discovers the trunk and insists that the elephant is like a large snake.

Each is describing truth.

And because his truth comes from personal experience, each insists that he knows what he knows.

The poem concludes:

And so these men of Indostan

Disputed loud and long,

Each in his own opinion

Exceeding stiff and strong,

Though each was partly in the right,

And all were in the wrong!

^

That's a very old universal poem.

"In this world the light is dim, and so we see only part of truth ,as though we are looking through a glass darkly."

`The Apostle Paul

^

One of my favorite quotes .

Thanks for sharing. I don't mean to ignore, but my desire to communicate on any level, besides responding to posts when I can, is not anything I choose to do. I appreciate you reaching out to me.

Many say that there is no such thing as "truth" and that all is perception. But i think Truth is REALITY.. It IS what it IS. Our perceptions of truth don't alter it?

Ahh. That is the rub right there. What is reality?