Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

What Is TRUTH?

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#31    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,700 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

View Postsoulpowertothenthdegree, on 27 May 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

Thanks for sharing.  I don't mean to ignore, but my desire to communicate on any level, besides responding to posts when I can, is not anything I choose to do.  I appreciate you reaching out to me.

Ahh.  That is the rub right there.  What is reality?

Well, i think in your  "blind men and the elephant" Reality is  the Elephant.   All of the blind's men's perceptions don't change the elephant.

The Truth is....  they are feeling an elephant ,  not what they 'perceive' it's parts to be.  They are not feeling a tree, or a snake, etc.

Edited by lightly, 27 May 2013 - 02:23 PM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#32    nothinglizx2

nothinglizx2

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

Truth is without guile, it is a singular entity, no matter what we believe or say it is, it will always be the truth, those who hear the truth know it because they live by it.
Those who chase it are it's friends.  In a world full of mistrust it can hardly be seen, though it is everywhere.
It is the job of evil to stomp out truth and enslave the world in ignorance and lies and cover the earth in darkness.

#33    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,318 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

There is the spiritual and philosophical truth, and a bit separate from that somehow, is the truthful telling of history.

#34    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,363 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

What I think of the truth is pretty obvious :P .

And I think I've said this before but I'll say it again anyway.

The  truth is this

I hope that clears things up.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#35    Reann

Reann

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:51 AM

^
Obviously transparent  . :innocent:

#36    Reann

Reann

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:00 AM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 09 January 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

Good topic!

Truth can be very elusive, especially when the public perception is manipulated so much.

Religious truth is really just dogma and faith, nothing more.  Superstition rather than any validated truth.
Why do  you think that way completely about religion? Does religion not also offer spiritual growth, in that it too  is able to build one in spirit  and self by learning from sources of truths contained in it? I certainly think so.

Edited by Reann, 28 May 2013 - 01:01 AM.

#37    Reann

Reann

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:11 AM

View Postlightly, on 27 May 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

Well, i think in your  "blind men and the elephant" Reality is  the Elephant.   All of the blind's men's perceptions don't change the elephant.

The Truth is....  they are feeling an elephant ,  not what they 'perceive' it's parts to be.  They are not feeling a tree, or a snake, etc.
Interesting. Also , could the  truth of them observing the elephant by touch ,  be  understood  sort of like how maybe we shouldn't  judge by the outer side but what comes from within?  Think of Christ and how he was portrayed as someone who did not even have a place to rest his head , the religious men who were over the synagogue often mocked him and looked upon his as dirty and unclean.

Edited by Reann, 28 May 2013 - 01:12 AM.

#38    Reann

Reann

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:16 AM

View Postlightly, on 27 May 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

Many say that there is no such thing as "truth" and that all is perception.   But i think Truth is REALITY..   It IS what it IS.  Our perceptions of truth don't alter it?
Agreed, though ,the reality of now is the truth you know , feel ,and  experience , but is all an illusion being that what we think we know about truth , we really know nothing at all. A mere drop in the bucket if that.

Edited by Reann, 28 May 2013 - 01:17 AM.

#39    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,700 posts

Yogi Berra

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

i  sort of understand the  "all is perception"   opinion .    Let's look at my coffee cup...   in Reality and in Truth it exists in ways that i can't perceive.  I can't see it on a molecular , atomic, subatomic level...  and yet that is the true state of it's existence .   I see  my coffee cup.. and for me that perception is truth     .. ALSO

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#40    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,318 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostReann, on 28 May 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:

Why do  you think that way completely about religion? Does religion not also offer spiritual growth, in that it too  is able to build one in spirit  and self by learning from sources of truths contained in it? I certainly think so.

That certainly goes to the heart of the matter in the religion controversy.  By all means, yes, religion does indeed offer spiritual growth for those so inclined.

But in so many cases, that potential spiritual growth is countered by superstition, bigotry and mean-spiritedness.

So, I think it's an individual choice, and I think there are huge differences between the various religions of the world.

Overall, does organized religion do more harm than good?  I do not know the answer to that question, and have been contemplating it for many years now.

#41    Reann

Reann

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 28 May 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

That certainly goes to the heart of the matter in the religion controversy.  By all means, yes, religion does indeed offer spiritual growth for those so inclined.

But in so many cases, that potential spiritual growth is countered by superstition, bigotry and mean-spiritedness.

So, I think it's an individual choice, and I think there are huge differences between the various religions of the world.

Overall, does organized religion do more harm than good?  I do not know the answer to that question, and have been contemplating it for many years now.
I don't think that  an organized  structured learning system that is based on historical documents  contained from letters that have been kept and placed  in books is harmful at all, it shouldn't be harmful. And if we consider how many people belong to a church , we see that most of them are harmless .

No doubt though that there are some , few, cult minded influences that have caused harm to their members , and that they utilized the bible in the most twisted manner ever. Though , what does that say  about  the individuals that have gotten involved with that sort of groups mindset?

If a person  chooses to understand the real purpose of the bible, especially the new testament,  and it's meaning , they would have to read it for themselves . I do not see anywhere in there where it leads anyone to do harm , and or get caught up in some cult minded environment. Reason being is that it is Christ centered, and that's just not the purpose and meaning of Christ.

I also consider the organized system of currency  in the world as it functions today ,and in  the historical world that this system functioned in during  the time of Yeshua's life .If you get what I'm trying to express to you , you would understand that spiritually.

I consider every matter spiritual and  when I consider the topic  of religion I really don't view him as religious , but , his story is contained in the letters and books of the bible.

I think it's obvious that there are individuals ,more so today than decades ago ,that have this bigoted hate towards the bible , yet , at the same time they boast of how spiritual they are , what is the truth in their enlightenment ? .

I learned that , it's not how much one knows and understands of the bible ,  quantum physics, or any other matter that pertains to a higher level of understanding ourselves in this universe ,spiritually that is, but to respect and   to leave people alone in their journey because the Divine will reveal to anyone that seeks the Divine.

I know that , no matter how much one person may think they know in comparison to another spiritually , it doesn't really matter, because it's not about how much you think you know but how much you love one another and do good good towards one another. In my understanding of ,the little that i know.

I just leave people alone , and I don't try to think for God about who's right or wrong but who loves the most here on earth and in that I find God in any faith , in any religion , and in anyone.

#42    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

View Postsoulpowertothenthdegree, on 27 May 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

Ahh.  That is the rub right there.  What is reality?

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Phillip K Dick

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#43    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,141 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:48 AM

People really tend to overcomplicate the definition of "Truth".

Truth is nothing more than a summary of your conclusions.

#44    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,679 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:10 AM

View PostMysticStrummer, on 29 May 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Phillip K Dick

Good quote! I think it's pretty spot on in describing reality. I don't know whether or not reality is determined by belief, but I do suppose belief has a level of influence.. If what you believe tethers you to the ground and helps convince you to continue you living.. I guess it helps to determine the reality a little bit. I wonder what truth is when I'm sitting in the park smoking a cigarette. I'll sit there and look at the sunset and ponder this metaphysical quandry. It'll always be subjective, I suppose.

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#45    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,700 posts

Yogi Berra

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

View Postaquatus1, on 30 May 2013 - 02:48 AM, said:

People really tend to overcomplicate the definition of "Truth".

Truth is nothing more than a summary of your conclusions.

What if your conclusions are wrong?   * that sounds more like opinion,  than truth?

Edited by lightly, 30 May 2013 - 10:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users