Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are angels real?

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

Poll: Are angels real? (82 member(s) have cast votes)

Are angels real?

1. Yes (55 votes [67.07%])

Percentage of vote: 67.07%

2. No (27 votes [32.93%])

Percentage of vote: 32.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#196    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 25,699 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

View PostGummug, on 06 February 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

Whoa, that's a bit terrifying to me. It could explain the likes of people like Ted Bundy, whom everyone seemed to have a high opinion of, until his true nature was revealed...sorry for getting a bit off topic.

Not too off topic, in my opinion, since most beliefs recognize both angels and demons – and the most important difference is in their intentions.

So I seriously believe sometimes we are assisted by beings we call angels, while destructive people are assisted by beings we call demons. Names don't matter, we could call them givers and takers or apples and pears, what matters is the intention. Visible from the outcomes of one's actions if not right away.

Again, it’s all clear for religious people, namely Christians, the Devil is real and seductive.  
But a lot of non-religious people will agree too that “evil” can be very attractive, superficially.
Psychopaths like Bundy are believed to lack empathy, but they can imitate normal emotions and appear even more sane than someone truly sane who doesn’t put so much effort in responding properly – and that’s precisely why “perfect” people make me cautious.
Of course, I’m not talking about sane people with good self-control, I’m talking about people who respond perfectly but all your senses are screaming “fake”... it’s hard to describe, but most of us can spot a psycho if we listen to our instincts. Seriously.
Maybe it’s just our ability to “measure” the sincerity of someone’s tone and body language, maybe it’s our angel whispering to us the warning about the demon that follows various Bundies, or inhabits their bodies.  

According to my experience, very bad people often have inexplicable luck. One of those two guys I’ve met and had the impression there’s something seriously dangerously wrong with them, he survived few accidents that would kill any normal human.
So I don’t believe in coincidences. There was the reason why he was saved to do more harm and there was the reason why I was saved to do more good – I hope, I’d hate to die one day and find out I was saved because my purpose was to screw things up :D

At least I wouldn't ever do harm intentionally, and that, the intentional harm and destruction is what I see as "demonic". It's very hard to explain destructive intentions with no spiritual element involved, in my opinion, since even low intelligence should be enough to make anyone constructive out of simple common sense if not out of empathy.

Rant over :D

Posted Image

Have I ever lost the plot while reading one of your posts?
The will to live maybe, but not the plot...  -  Junior Chubb

#197    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,426 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

I agree with you Helen o A. I had read and heard that for example Hitler seemed to live a charmed life...he survived multiple assassination attempts...at least until the day he took his own life in the bunker (some deny this happened but I've also heard the Russians have his body and have given DNA proof of his death). Sometimes I wonder why God lets really evil people live so long...I guess one day we'll know...

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know....

#198    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 25,699 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Hitler is classic example of indestructible destructive man... and it’s not only him, Stalin had to be finished off with a hammer (so says the legend), Castro lives so persistently he now qualifies for a zombie, the former state in which I lived had its own bullet-proof dictator, and so on and on.
We can rationalize and say dictators are constantly surrounded with body guards, ride armoured cars, sleep in literal bunkers, everything they eat and drink was tested (imagine doing that for living), have the best available medical care, they are secured in any possible way, but still they seem just too resistant compared to ordinary folks.

Personally, I’m not religious but when I think of history, I feel like praying :lol: It can’t hurt, unlike demonic ideas and people, regardless if the true nature of their “evil” is clinical, spiritual, or both. Probably it is both.

Posted Image

Have I ever lost the plot while reading one of your posts?
The will to live maybe, but not the plot...  -  Junior Chubb

#199    David Henson

David Henson

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 141 posts

• "Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

The word angel is sort of unique in that if it is applied in context to humans it is rendered messenger and if to a spirit creature it is translated as angel. The Hebrew malakh and the Greek aggelos literally mean "messenger." (Genesis 16:7; 32:3 / James 2:25 / Revelation 22:8)

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users