Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Global warming at a standstill

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#181    Little Fish

Little Fish

Government Agent

• 4,000 posts

• The default position is to give a ****

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

View PostBFB, on 04 February 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

The ozone hole is actually the reason why Antarctica been "protected" by GW. What Doug means by "polar atmospheric circulation" is that the polar vortex has intensified and therefore affected Antarctica weather patterns. When the ozone hole disappear the polar vortex intensity will reduce and Antarctica will warm.
there is an ozone "hole" over the arctic too. so why would the arctic be warming and the antarctic be cooling when both have seen a reduction is ozone. this looks to me like speculation to protect a faulty theory.

#182    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,661 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

View PostLittle Fish, on 04 February 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

there is an ozone "hole" over the arctic too. so why would the arctic be warming and the antarctic be cooling when both have seen a reduction is ozone. this looks to me like speculation to protect a faulty theory.

"In the northern polar regions, ozone levels in the early 1990s measured ten percent lower than those estimated in the late 1970s. The Arctic does experience ozone depletion, but to a lesser degree than the Antarctic. Unlike the Antarctic, large-scale weather systems disturb the wind flow in the Arctic and prevent the temperature in the stratosphere from being as cold. Therefore fewer stratospheric clouds are formed to provide surfaces for the production of ozone-depleting compounds. Some clouds do form, however, and allow the chemical reactions that deplete ozone. Ozone depletion has a direct effect on human inhabitants, but research has only just begun on the effects of increased ultraviolet radiation on terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems and societies and settlements in the Arctic."

http://www.nsf.gov/a...c/ozonehole.htm

Different place different prevailing conditions - simple.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#183    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,661 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

More explanation for why the cooling effects of ozone depletion are unique to the antarctic

The comparisons show that the two polar regions display fundamentally different character. Observations of the ozone abundance at 70 mbar (≈18 km) show that some local ozone depletion has occurred in the Arctic. However, the extreme anomalies associated with the springtime Antarctic ozone hole as observed in many records (frequent removal of >90% of the ozone at this level and sometimes >99%) are not observed in any of the available long-term Arctic records.

http://www.pnas.org/.../104/2/445.full

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 04 February 2013 - 02:19 PM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users