Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Other side of gun ownership

• Please log in to reply
415 replies to this topic

#391    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 15 January 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

Problem with fingerprint ID's is you have to buy his and hers if your married.

:P So true...One thing is for sure.. The hubby cannot say to the wife -  My gun is packed in, let me use yours

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#392    F3SS

F3SS

FoT

• 9,791 posts

• Father of Twins
    3-16-16

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

View PostStellar, on 15 January 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

Well, yes in a way I am. That's what the law is. If someone kept walking around pointing a loaded gun to everyone's head, wouldn't you tell them they can't do that? I'm not trying to make any exaggerations and compare unlocked guns to loaded guns pointed at people's heads, just that society does place limits on what people can and can't do, and rightly so.

I did not say that. I said that it should be locked in a safe when you can no longer directly control it. If you're sitting in the basement watching tv, you could keep it on your lap for all I care.
Well thanks for your permission. It means a lot.

Keep it there all you want, as long as you lock it up when you leave the house.
That's likely what I'd do. But what about the fact that it is my damn house and if I lock IT up that should be all I need to do. My house, my property. According to the blame logic you have here it would be reasonable to assume that if you didn't keep your jewelry in a safe but in a small box you hide in a drawer or closet then the police shouldn't give a damn if it was stolen because apparently just locking your house up is being lazy and irresponsible. It's time to focus the blame on the criminal.

It'll sure be my business if your gun is used to commit a crime against me because you couldn't be bothered to lock it in a safe when leaving your home.

I probably would anyways.

So then you're saying you'll be woken up with plenty of early warning?
How the hell should I know? Am I dealing with sloppy crackheads or cat burglars? It's impossible to have all the answers and newsflash, you don't.

I'm simply following the law in my country, and I happen to agree with it. Of course I think that it's right, that's why I'm arguing for it. That's also what the law is, it's a set of rules that the general population agrees with, believes are right and force those who may disagree to abide to them. I see nothing wrong with my position. If enough people in your country shared my thoughts and decided to make it a law that weapons should be locked up in a safe when no longer under the direct control of their owner, who are you to disobey that law?
Well then follow the law in your country and I'll follow mine. If enough people in your country followed our ways then maybe your country would be the greatest beacon of hope the world has ever known. But they don't. So you're a complacent know-it-all who thinks everyone should be like you.

View PostOdds, on 15 January 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

Just to ask, are you saying if everyone had a gun that there would be a smaller death count? Not everyone is a marksman, and i am pretty sure there would be many more deaths if everyone is firing...
If there's a good chance that everybody carries a gun then yes I think there'd be a whole lot less shootings because there's a good chance that anyone would think twice before opening fire around untold numbers of people who might fire back. Mass shootings would cease to exist.

View PostAsteroidX, on 15 January 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

Problem with fingerprint ID's is you have to buy his and hers if your married.
You know, I brought up fingerprint triggers a week or two ago and somebody said the same thing. It was probably you. I think another problem is that simply involving complicated electronics and circuitry into an otherwise simple mechanical device invites trouble. Electronics fail when you need them most sometimes.

#393    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,603 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

View PostOdds, on 15 January 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

Just to ask, are you saying if everyone had a gun that there would be a smaller death count? Not everyone is a marksman, and i am pretty sure there would be many more deaths if everyone is firing...

quantity pbly would not change much, but likely to go down,  quality however, would, figuratively speaking.

would you personally fire in presence of large\med\small  armed, group of little known ppl???
do you  think they would like  you to  fire at them?

btw Israel, Switzerland, Vermont,  show  that  no, it doesn't happen

Edited by aztek, 16 January 2013 - 01:27 AM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#394    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,603 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

here is another funny facts.

Moldova, former soviet republic, part of wester block, next to Romania, allowed most ppl carry, became shall issue country, look at it, gun homicide statistics.
In Moldova, annual firearm homicides total

2010: 9
2009: 11
2008: 11
2007: 15
2006: 20
2005: 19
2004: 24
2003: 31
2002: 42
2001: 57
2000: 46
1999: 45
1998: 42
1997: 46
1996: 72
1995: 27

annual rate of firearm homicide per 100,000 population is

2010: 0.25
2009: 0.31
2008: 0.31
2007: 0.42
2006: 0.56
2005: 0.53
2004: 0.67
2003: 0.86
2002: 1.16
2001: 1.57
2000: 1.26
1999: 1.23
1998: 1.15
1997: 1.26
1996: 1.67
1995: 0.62

i don't want to make long posts, so anyone that doubts can check wiki.

since 2000s all former soviet republics, drop gun homicides, since lawless 90s, but all neighbors only dropped 2-max 3 times, Moldova about 6

who would have thought.

Edited by aztek, 16 January 2013 - 01:57 AM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#395    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,903 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

But what about the fact that it is my damn house and if I lock IT up that should be all I need to do.

It being your house? The house that you're worried might get broken into?

My house, my property. According to the blame logic you have here it would be reasonable to assume that if you didn't keep your jewelry in a safe but in a small box you hide in a drawer or closet then the police shouldn't give a damn if it was stolen because apparently just locking your house up is being lazy and irresponsible. It's time to focus the blame on the criminal.

When your jewelry is used to kill people then maybe that would be an accurate comparison. The focus has always been on the criminal. The criminal will be punished. It's just that now, there is additional focus on prevention.

Well then follow the law in your country and I'll follow mine. If enough people in your country followed our ways then maybe your country would be the greatest beacon of hope the world has ever known. But they don't. So you're a complacent know-it-all who thinks everyone should be like you.

Personally, I think the complacent party is the one that doesn't want to go through the trouble of locking up their guns when they leave the house. Why is it such a big issue to lock them up when you're not home? No one is denying the fact that they're less likely to be stolen when locked in a firearms safe or cabinet vs when they're lying on the nightstand.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#396    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,903 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

Oh, and let me just remind you and others that may think that I should not voice my opinion on responsible gun control: This is a public forum with members from around the world that come here to speak their mind. Deal with it. If you don't want to hear our opinions, don't read the thread, or find a US only message board. Otherwise, don't whine that people from other countries are chiming in with opinions that differ from yours.

----Seraphina

#397    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,903 posts

-Patton

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

Let me ask you this: why SHOULDN'T you lock your guns in a safe when leaving home? What reason is there not to? If it helps prevent weapons from falling into the hands of criminals, why would you not want to? Just because? Is it just a knee jerk reaction? Or is there actually a reason for it?

----Seraphina

#398    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,326 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

*Posts Removed*

Can you please discuss the topic and refrain from personal attacks - Thank you

Posted Image

#399    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 11,960 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

I don't lock mine up.  If I'm not home, the cops will be there long before a burglar has time to finds my guns.  Not that he'd know there were any in there.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#400    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,903 posts

-Patton

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 16 January 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

I don't lock mine up.  If I'm not home, the cops will be there long before a burglar has time to finds my guns.  Not that he'd know there were any in there.

Would you be opposed to them being locked up?

----Seraphina

#401    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 11,960 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

View PostStellar, on 16 January 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

Would you be opposed to them being locked up?

Not if I had a reason.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#402    F3SS

F3SS

FoT

• 9,791 posts

• Father of Twins
    3-16-16

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

View PostStellar, on 16 January 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

Oh, and let me just remind you and others that may think that I should not voice my opinion on responsible gun control: This is a public forum with members from around the world that come here to speak their mind. Deal with it. If you don't want to hear our opinions, don't read the thread, or find a US only message board. Otherwise, don't whine that people from other countries are chiming in with opinions that differ from yours.

Listen, I love these arguements. It helps me to figure out where I stand on issues. You must deal with my opinions too without telling me to go elsewhere.

View PostStellar, on 16 January 2013 - 05:14 AM, said:

Let me ask you this: why SHOULDN'T you lock your guns in a safe when leaving home? What reason is there not to? If it helps prevent weapons from falling into the hands of criminals, why would you not want to? Just because? Is it just a knee jerk reaction? Or is there actually a reason for it?

I never said you shouldn't. Just that you shouldn't have to. I don't think it's a bad idea. I have plenty of tools and knives that could kill too and my bottom line is that one shouldn't be held responsible if their property is forceably entered into and is stolen and used to commit crimes. Now if you leave your guns on the kitchen counter with your doors and windows unlocked all day while at work then maybe there's an arguement to be made.

#403    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,603 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Hijacking very often ends in chase, chases are often result in crashes and injuries to bystanders, should owners of the cars be responcible for what theeves do with their stolen\Hijacked cars?

Edited by aztek, 16 January 2013 - 08:34 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#404    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 11,960 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

We need to ban cars.  After all, if he didn't have a car, he wouldn't have been hijacked.

#405    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,903 posts

-Patton

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

View Postaztek, on 16 January 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

Hijacking very often ends in chase, chases are often result in crashes and injuries to bystanders, should owners of the cars be responcible for what theeves do with their stolen\Hijacked cars?

Are speed limits not regulated? Does the government not have a list of people with licenses and the cara they own?

----Seraphina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users