Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

A generation of deluded narcissists

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16    Timid Ares

Timid Ares

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

• Such is life

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

I see this daily, the internet is rife with these people. Ever since FB happened, some people have felt the need to be in the spotlight 24/7.
Self-esteem is important, yes. But so is hard work and responsibility.
Also, I took a note from the Tao Te Ching, which teaches (among other things) to "accept being unimportant."
That is, to deal with your own insignificance and mortality. The moment you let go of your ego, is the moment you free yourself from many cares and social stigmas.
Now, that isnt to say that you ARENT important, (all life is important), you just arent that big a deal among +7 billion.
Find your own self worth, take the time to bond with those that are close to you, appreciate the "little" things more often, and youll find that you are "special", in a way.
You wont need to profess or prove your self worth to anyone.
Its true, the world dosent revolve around any one person, but I beleive that each individual has a limited "local" importance, if you catch my meaning.

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and all of your molecules exploding at the speed of light.
Total protonic reversal.

#17    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Narcissism through social media, violent media, and pills are huge parts of the overall problem. Some young minds are just too weak to handle the combination, and tragedy results. How many mass school shootings were there in the states prior to those three things, in regard to how many shootings there are now? There's other factors, but we're doing something wrong here people. Over the past century moral and ethical values have spiraled, why? Thoughts?

Edited by WoIverine, 10 January 2013 - 07:00 PM.

#18    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

my kids mom used to be a narcissist. She was able to get over it without medications.

#19    Drayno

Drayno

Draynor's Finest

• 3,704 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

View Postcalaf, on 09 January 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

As a retired teacher of 35 years I have heard the plaint that our children needed more self esteem. I was not very popular when I suggested that was the last thing they needed and that a dose of humility would serve them better.

I want to like this more than once but I can't.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II

#20    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,868 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:05 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 09 January 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

http://www.foxnews.c...ed-narcissists/

I see this happening every day on Facebook. My wife's sisters are much younger and everything that goes on in social circles in High School and College is about the Drama of being recognized and not being disrespected. Giving a kid today negative feedback is not considered to be instructional anymore, it is considered an attack.

Kids have been taught that they are super special regardless of if they are C or even D students. Having good self esteame is one thing, but being delusional is another all together.
I agree with the generational attitudes we've cultivated but I'm not going to make any slippery sloped conclusions about how bad society is going to become because of them.  I think every generation has the "Oh those kids these days" cycle.  Those of us who have parents usually turn into our parents once we get enough experience under our hats.  

On the other hand, being driven is worth a lot more than how hard you study for a liberal arts exam, or even what you major in, or even where you go to school.

As this video proves:

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#21    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,450 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

Most people grow up and mature, become more aware of who they are and whats important but some people go through life never changing.

#22    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

Generation Me, also known as Generation Y:

Jean Twenge, the author of the 2007 book Generation Me, considers Gen Ys along with younger Gen Xers to be part of a generation called Generation Me. This is based on personality surveys that showed increasing narcissism among Millennials compared to preceding generations when they were teens and in their twenties
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Generation_Y

In contrast to our upbringing, we resolved to be a more constant presence in our children's lives. Many of us, now as mothers, are now staying home, sacrificing career and economic prosperity to be the one to do the drop-offs and pick-ups. We read every new parenting book, determined to raise our children with all possible opportunities and advantages. By the time the children are two, they are enrolled in ballet, soccer, gymnastics, music and art class. Our kids are constantly praised for their efforts and are repeatedly told how smart, talented, beautiful and special they are.
And this is how we raised the "Me" generation.
The problem is that these children are now dependent on their parents. They have become accustomed to their moms and dads holding their hands through each major decision, and many of these young adults now call home multiple times a day for guidance. College professors are fielding phone calls from parents wanting to discuss their child's grade on a paper. Managers complain that this generation is so unfamiliar with criticism that they are nearly impossible to train. This generation truly believes that they are exceptionally smart, talented, and beautiful, and therefore unprepared for the real world.

http://www.huffingto..._b_1257602.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users