Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Most Earth-like exoplanet yet

bison

Moving ever closer to a twin of Earth. This one only half again as massive as Earth. Its star quite similar to the Sun. In the Kepler field, so in or near constellation Cygnus. Link: http://www.space.com...ien-planet.html

All good news, these findings are coming out left right and centre. you get the feeling any moment the holy grail will be found. :tsu:

• Like 1

All good news, these findings are coming out left right and centre. you get the feeling any moment the holy grail will be found. :tsu:

Yes. At least one astronomer has predicted that Earth's twin will be found this year!
  • Like 2

Looking over the article again, I find that it is the diameter of the new prospective planet that is 50% larger than Earth's, not its mass. The Kepler Space Telescope uses the transit method to detect planets, so the diameter is better defined than the mass. An essentially Earth-like planet with a diameter half again as large as Earth would have a mass of about 2 & 1/4 times that of Earth, and a surface gravity only about 1/8 greater than Earth's, assuming my calculations are correct!

I cant wait until we get more information on this world. I bet THe guys building the ark are happy too !

This looks loke a real life planet Raganarok from the novel the Survivours or the planet in the Left Hand of Dextra series.

If it supports alien life I hope those 'ark' builders out they might not be too happy with having earthlings colonizing it or their resources plundered.

If it supports alien life I hope those 'ark' builders out they might not be too happy with having earthlings colonizing it or their resources plundered.

but its what all species do. expand and multiple. we're just very good at it in the context of our planet. :unsure2:

Space news is starting to get a little more common it seems... especially now the the private sector is starting to invest in it.

Blah, same old earth2 planet story, well let's stop talking about next weeks new earth like planet... Omg NASA, ketchum, quantra.. your all just trying to break my balls here!

but its what all species do. expand and multiple. we're just very good at it in the context of our planet. :unsure2:

Interesting question, then, maybe: The galaxy is about three times as old as our little planet. Why hasn't someone else colonized us? Maybe the galaxy is a more civilized, lawful place than we realize. Edited by bison

Whatever it takes to extend our species, in my opinion.

Whats the next step ?. Are we going to aim our radio waves at it in the hope of a reply. Has anyone said how far away it is ?

The star KOI 172 is about 1040 light years from Earth. If there is intelligent life on the prospective planet, it will almost certainly be due to colonization from another star system. KOI 172 is thought to be only about 400 million years old. This is very probably too young for it to have evolved intelligent life of its own. If nothing else, it might host a geological survey settlement. Such a young world might be of unusual interest to ET scientists.

*SNIP*that is a interesting discovery and planet as well.the question is can we take care of it though?meaning are we going to learn from our mistakes and take care of the planet good or mistreat it.because in my opionion yes we could find planets to live on but if were going to pollute it and mistreat meaning digging up oil and etc and repeat the sames mistakes we are doing on earth then we havent learned anything at all as a living species

Edited by Lilly
removed conspiracy allegations

Perhaps fortunate, in at least one respect, then, that a planet 1000 light years away, or even 10, is apparently going to be beyond our reach for quite some time to come. Perhaps by the time we've learned, or been taught, how to travel the stars, we will have acquired some additional wisdom.

Whatever it takes to extend our species, in my opinion.

I guess if that is the case, but then maybe other species from other planets might be thinking the same thing. What if we arrived there the natives were not exactly friendly but decide we make good food. I am sure they will seek out the planet of our origin to conquer it themselves so THEY may extend their species. It is not all cut and dried.

Just a reminder, there's a forum for conspiracy discussion. This is the science and space forum, please stick to scientific discussion.

Interesting question, then, maybe: The galaxy is about three times as old as our little planet. Why hasn't someone else colonized us? Maybe the galaxy is a more civilized, lawful place than we realize.

Or we are not worth the effort ;)

God, I hope its not that terrible Planet of the Apes.

Wait a minute...Statue of Liberty...that was Earth!

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! Damn you all to hell!

Edited by cachibatches.

how fast or better question is when can humanity start colonizing it?and any other earth like planet?that would be so awsome and cool though.start colonizing other planets already.

how fast or better question is when can humanity start colonizing it?

This planet is over 1040 light years away.

The fastest spacecraft mankind has so far launched would take more than 4.7 million years to arrive there, so I think colonisation is out of the question for sometime to come.