Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Delay of Harvard report on Jesus 'wife' papyr

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16    Ben Masada

Ben Masada

Poltergeist

• 2,515 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

View Postminera, on 11 January 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

If some sects did not believe in marriage how did they manage to continue with no offspring? Or were all the children out of wedlock ? Does not make sense unless all the Essenes etc were just  men in a men only group.

According to Flavius Josephus, a famous Jewish Historian of the First Century in his book "Antiquities of the Jews" only a very small and marginal faction of the Essenes
would not marry. They lived in monastery-like caves and had no outdoor life. The greater part of the Essenes would marry just like any other Jew and would interact publicly with the larger community. John the Immerser aka John Baptist was of the kind to interact with the Jews in general. And so was Jesus. Hence what Jesus underwent under John Baptist at the Jordan River was his mikveh prior to his wedding in Cana of the Galilee. Otherwise, he could not be "ordained" into the Rabbinate, as a Teacher could not act as a single man. Paul attested to that in I Timothy 3:2.

Ben

#17    minera

minera

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

• There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,: Than are dreamed of in your philosophy. Act II, scene 2:.. Hamlet

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

View PostBen Masada, on 08 March 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

According to Flavius Josephus, a famous Jewish Historian of the First Century in his book "Antiquities of the Jews" only a very small and marginal faction of the Essenes
would not marry. They lived in monastery-like caves and had no outdoor life. The greater part of the Essenes would marry just like any other Jew and would interact publicly with the larger community. John the Immerser aka John Baptist was of the kind to interact with the Jews in general. And so was Jesus. Hence what Jesus underwent under John Baptist at the Jordan River was his mikveh prior to his wedding in Cana of the Galilee. Otherwise, he could not be "ordained" into the Rabbinate, as a Teacher could not act as a single man. Paul attested to that in I Timothy 3:2.

Ben
Actually I believe that the Church distorted many of the facts or just left them out entirely to suit themselves. A Rabbi being married is more capable of counseling on marriage and family than a priest who has never married and knows nothing of marriage.

#18    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,781 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

Almost inconceivable that he wasn't married.
Mary Magdaline was the girl.
All rabbi/holy men were married before they conducted their ministry - and so it should be.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#19    Ben Masada

Ben Masada

Poltergeist

• 2,515 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

View Postminera, on 08 March 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

Actually I believe that the Church distorted many of the facts or just left them out entirely to suit themselves. A Rabbi being married is more capable of counseling on marriage and family than a priest who has never married and knows nothing of marriage.

That stands the reason and does sound quite obvious. It is true today and I believe, much more in the First Century. What I do not understand is why hide that from Jesus' records when being a married man would only enhance toward his credibility. IMO, the Church was afraid to have to drop the claim that he was God or son of God. That BTW, would not be a bad idea considering that it smells too mythological to be Jewish. It only shows how Hellenistic Christianity is.

Ben

#20    Ben Masada

Ben Masada

Poltergeist

• 2,515 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 08 March 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

Almost inconceivable that he wasn't married.
Mary Magdaline was the girl.
All rabbi/holy men were married before they conducted their ministry - and so it should be.

Br Cornelius

And she was the "beloved disciple" Jesus referred to on the cross when he entrusted his mother to her implying that they should take care of each other. John, whom the Church interpolated to misguide the future readers into believing that he was the one, it becomes a contradiction for three reasons: First, because when Jesus was arrested in the Gethsemane ALL the disciples got scared, deserted Jesus and ran away. (Mark 14:50) Second, it was a Roman policy not to allow any of the disciples of a crucified even approach the site of crucifixion. And third, it would have been against Jewish family tradition to entrust one's mother to another male to take care of her. Besides, Mary Magdalene was right there before the cross hand-in-hand with the mother of Jesus. (John 19:25) It is only obvious that he was entrusting his mother to his wife and vice-versa.

Ben

#21    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,132 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

View PostBen Masada, on 08 March 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

Ben

According to Cayce , Jopseh and Mary were of the Essenes that did marry,but Jesus was a monk of the Essenes that did not marry. Ever wonder why Jesus was hanging out in the mountains caves so much :unsure2:

And Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan, and was led by the Spirit for forty days in the wilderness, tempted by the devil. And he ate nothing in those days; and when they were ended, he was hungry” (Gospel of Luke, Chapter 4, verses 1-2).

Edited by docyabut2, 10 March 2013 - 12:57 AM.

#22    Ben Masada

Ben Masada

Poltergeist

• 2,515 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

View Postdocyabut2, on 10 March 2013 - 12:49 AM, said:

According to Cayce , Jopseh and Mary were of the Essenes that did marry,but Jesus was a monk of the Essenes that did not marry. Ever wonder why Jesus was hanging out in the mountains caves so much :unsure2:

And Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan, and was led by the Spirit for forty days in the wilderness, tempted by the devil. And he ate nothing in those days; and when they were ended, he was hungry” (Gospel of Luke, Chapter 4, verses 1-2).

Do you know why the first three gospels did not report about Jesus in Cana at his wedding? Because he was in the desert for 40 days fasting rather than feasting. And do you know why the fourth gospel did not report about Jesus' fast in the desert for 40 days? Because he was getting married in Cana changing water into wine and not stone into bread. Funny isn't it? I am serious though. The text in the first three gospel are unanimous by saying that immediately as Jesus came out of the waters in the Jordan, he was taken by the Spirit into to desert where he fast for 40 days; but according to the fourth gospel, on the third day after the baptism he was in Cana getting married. How can you fix this so that all the four gospels will be in tune with each other? That's a contradiction if you ask me.

Ben

#23    Mekelyn

Mekelyn

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:43 PM

"To call it controversial is putting it mildly: Harvard professor Karen L. King in September 2012 debuted an ancient papyrus now known as the "Gospel of Jesus' Wife" at a conference in Rome.
The papyrus makes an explicit reference to the woman's existence with the line, "Jesus said to them, 'My wife...'" Now, extensive testing by professors from Columbia, Harvard, and MIT in the fields of electrical engineering, chemistry, and biology has found no indications that it is a modern forgery, per an article by King published today in the Harvard Theological Review."

Link to the above Fox news article:
http://www.foxnews.c...intcmp=features

Link to Boston Globe article:
http://www.bostonglo...N/igraphic.html

Just thought I'd Share

#24    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,958 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

Good share too ... thanks :tu:

sadly its a bit late for the honeymoon ~

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users