Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

America Unearthed

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#76    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,508 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

View PostBavarian Raven, on 18 February 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

I've read arguments arguing both. Personally I feel there were more then three settlement attempts (the later being much smaller in scale, and not saga worthy. Just a single boatload or so of persons, etc, that assimilated or died off).

Well wild grapes do grow throughout the southern saint lawrence basin and up the st. lawrence river (and further to the south). One interesting thing of note is that in one of the sagas, the length of the daylight hours on the shortest day of the year is given. This corresponds to the southern third of Nova Scotia (and it just so happens this area had both good pasture lands in some spots and a plethora of wild grapes - three varieties). So my bet is that is where Hop was located.

Also, a note, 500someoddmiles really isnt that far in terms of Norse sailing distances. Knarrs in decent conditions could easily make a 100 miles a day. So it would be a weeks sail at worst.

I've read about it. I've also read about a Norse outpost on Ellesmere island (the large island north of Baffin) that appears to might have survived into the 16th century (a full few decades longer than the greenland settlement :o ). Interesting field of study this is.

Cheers

Would you be referring to the research by Schedermann on the Bache Peninsula? If so, these artifacts were found in association with a Thule winter house. There have been other Norse artifacts recovered from Thule house structures and middens. Evidence of contact/trade, but apparently not Norse settlement.

In regards to the astronomical exercise by Ekman (2002): Interesting, but without archaeological support, still speculative. Personally find the arguments by Wallace to be more compelling.

Indeed, an interesting field of research. It would be hoped that further investigation will lead to a more complete understanding of the cultural interactions in the region.

#77    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

Would you be referring to the research by Schedermann on the Bache Peninsula?

I'll need to go back and refind where I read about this...give me a bit of time :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users